PDA

View Full Version : red cabbage test!

boyjoy
March 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I know it sounds weird, but i wonder if someone tried it. Just for fun.
Here how to do it:
You need to be at least 10 weeks.

* Red cabbage
* Boiling water
* Urine

Go to the store and buy a red cabbage. The size of the cabbage does not matter at all.

Cut the cabbage into big chunks. The smaller you cut the chunks, the better your results will turn out.

Boil some water on the stove and put in the chunks of cabbage.

Let the water and cabbage boil for about 10 minutes or so. When the ten minutes is up, remove it from the heat.

Grab a cup and go to the bathroom! Pee into the cup.

In a separate cup, mix 1 part of your urine to 1 part of the water that the cabbage was boiled in. No need to save the cabbage unless you want to eat it. It's pretty tasty, so you might want to eat it!

If the urine/cabbage water turns pink or red then this indicates a boy result! If the urine/cabbage water turns blue-purple, this indicates a girl result.

vanasse2002
May 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM
This is just testing for pH. Red Cabbage is a pH indicator (I'm a science teacher and we use this all the time when testing for acids/bases). So, if the pH of urine is a boy/girl predictor in pregnancy, then this is a good way to tell!

purplepoet20
May 31st, 2011, 02:01 PM
So in other words.... if someone couldn't afford to buy ph strips or meter they can just boil up some cabbage!!!

LolaInLove
May 31st, 2011, 02:42 PM
Boyjoy, I am DYING to hear what your bub is! When is your next scan?

love being a mummy
October 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM
My sister in law tried this and was correct for her.

pinga
October 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I wonder how many accurate this is???
I've still got loads of pH strips left - is cabbage better than pH strips...

but then maybe I shouldn't do it... I don't want to confuse my poor brain with even more uncertainty/hope?? :D

Coulditbemyturn
October 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM
so if i test urine ph and it's under 7 does that indicate girl?

zanacal
October 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I think with these gender tests (there's a baking soda one too), because it's looking at your pH, it only works when you do it in early pregnancy because it gives an indication of what your pH was when you conceived - and if you were on a ttc girl/boy diet before you conceived then went back to your normal way of eating when you got your BFP, then that's not going to be very accurate!

nikbaby3
December 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I tried this test and it turned out purple. I am 15 weeks is that to late to try it? I also tried the baking soda test and it didn't foam at all?!?!