PDA

View Full Version : Vitex or Saw Palmetto?

Another princess
March 28th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Am still in limbo as to which to take. Have regular cycles and usually ovulate on day 11-13. Have tried Saw palmetto and it delayed ovulation by two days. But im still questioning if vitex is the way to go! Atomic what are your opinions on them? Do you feel that one will sway greater than the other? Any opinions/advice is much appreciated. Thanks:wink:

nuthinbutpink
March 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'll try and answer but I think it depends on what you want it to do. Vitex boosts and balances hormones like LH and progesterone while SP reduces testosterone levels. What are you trying to accomplish?

Another princess
March 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'll try and answer but I think it depends on what you want it to do. Vitex boosts and balances hormones like LH and progesterone while SP reduces testosterone levels. What are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks for your reply. Mmm good question! I do think its probably the testosterone levels which i may need to reduce. However, Frm my bbt charts my pre ov temps are fairly high and dont dip to much at ovulation but i find my post ovulation temps rise slowly after ovulation and are not a great deal higher than the pre ov temps. Could this be a sign of low progesterone? and hence vitex may be useful. Thanks

Sunset
March 29th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Saw palmetto delayed my ov by 5 days :O so i've decided to stick to vitex instead.

Emmy2012
March 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I am on vitex onw (only for like 6 days now) but once I start af for my practice month in April I am debating trying both at the same time and see if it messes up my cycle too much.

Coccinelle33
March 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM
im doing vitex. sp scares me.

atomic sagebrush
March 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your reply. Mmm good question! I do think its probably the testosterone levels which i may need to reduce. However, Frm my bbt charts my pre ov temps are fairly high and dont dip to much at ovulation but i find my post ovulation temps rise slowly after ovulation and are not a great deal higher than the pre ov temps. Could this be a sign of low progesterone? and hence vitex may be useful. Thanks

Question - were you charting when you conceived your son and daughter too? What were your temps doing then? I would try to recreate what you did with your little girl if at all possible.

Low post OV temps are probably indicative of low progesterone and/or higher estrogen. Now we don't really 100% know if that is bad for pink or not. It may be that less hormones overall sways pink and you are in a good place right now. Or it may be that like they say, higher prog and lower estrogen sways pink. It's so hard to know because the info is so scanty and not always from reputable sources.

Vitex does seem to sway pink so I would def give it a try and see what your temps do.

atomic sagebrush
March 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Saw palmetto delayed my ov by 5 days :O so i've decided to stick to vitex instead.

Keep in mind though that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It may mean that your estrogen level has dropped so your body had to wait a few more days to work up enough estrogen to release the egg.

Another princess
March 30th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Question - were you charting when you conceived your son and daughter too? What were your temps doing then? I would try to recreate what you did with your little girl if at all possible.

Low post OV temps are probably indicative of low progesterone and/or higher estrogen. Now we don't really 100% know if that is bad for pink or not. It may be that less hormones overall sways pink and you are in a good place right now. Or it may be that like they say, higher prog and lower estrogen sways pink. It's so hard to know because the info is so scanty and not always from reputable sources.

Vitex does seem to sway pink so I would def give it a try and see what your temps do.

Thanks ladies for your replies. Atomic, no i didnt chart with my son or daughter. If only i had them to refer to!! After posting this thread i had a look at charts on FF and compared them with my own and now im thinking my post ov temps are not infact low. My charts dont follow that ideal textbook ovulation dip followed by a sharp rise in temp but they definitely do rise and stay high and dont fall and I never have spotting so mayb progesterone isnt a problem. Infact my pre ov temps are fairy high and have increased compared to when i first started taking them. So im thinking that Saw palmetto is still the way to go for me, ha ha. Afterall when i tried taking it a couple of mths ago i saw postives -such as high pre ov temps, less ewcm and was less moody. ha ha. I do think testosterone over progesterone is more of a problem for myself as i do get oily/acne prone skin and always have done plus now ive noticed the hairy big toe! ha ha. Also isnt SP supposed to reduce estrogen and hence increase progesterone? if so it targets all three hormones. I am reluctant to try vitex as i dont want to mess with my hormones to much, particularly as i already have a daughter and didnt take vitex or SP to conceive her. Do you agree im on the right tracks with things or am i just confusing myself further? Or do you think i should just give the vitex a try as im not TTC yet so have time to test it.
The only hormone supps i took when ttc my daughter was a supplement recommended by someone on ig called 'womens support'. It contained wild yams and ? licorice. Have search for it online to find out what else it contained but am yet to find them. Thanks for listening. Your advice is much appreciated x

atomic sagebrush
March 30th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I think SP messes more with your hormones than vitex does.

TBH I would stick with the women's support because licorice also lowers testosterone (it may raise estrogen so it is not a traditional pink supp) and you know it works for you.

Thanks for mentioning that, I will look into that more!!