PDA

View Full Version : List of LOW and HIGH Potassium foods!!!

purplepoet20
March 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Low potassium foods
1 serving of the following can be considered to be low potassium food. 1 serving implies ½ cup. More than 1 serving of the following can make it high potassium food.

General foods
•Bread (bread products)
•Cake – angel, yellow
•Coffee ( maximum 8 ounces)
•Cookies (without nuts or chocolate)
•Noodles
•Pasta
•Pies (without chocolate or high-potassium foods)
•Rice
•Tea (maximum 16 ounces)
Vegetables
•Alfalfa sprouts
•Asparagus – 6 spears
•Beans (wax or green)
•Cabbage (red and green)
•Canned Chestnuts
•Carrots (cooked)
•Celery (1 stalk)
•Corn (Fresh - ½ ear, Frozen - ½ cup)
•Cucumber
•Eggplant
•Fresh mushrooms
•Green Peas
•Kale
•Leached potatoes
•Lettuce
•Mixed vegetables
•Okra
•Onions
•Parsley
•Peppers
•Radish
•Rhubarb
•Water
•Watercress
Fruits
•Apple – 1 medium/juice/sauce
•Apricots, canned in juice
•Blackberries
•Blueberries
•Cherries
•Cranberries
•Fruit cocktail
•Grapes (juice)
•Grapefruit, ½ whole
•Mandarin oranges
•Peaches – Fresh (1 small), Canned (½ cup)
•Pears – Fresh (1 small), Canned (½ cup)
•Pineapple (juice)
•Plums – 1 whole
•Raspberries
•Strawberries
•Tangerine – 1 whole
•Watermelon – 1 cup

High potassium levels
If the potassium level in the blood becomes high, hyperalemia occurs. It implies that the input of potassium is more than that of the kidney to eliminate it. The symptoms are tingling in the hands and feet, muscular weakness and sometimes paralysis. A very serious complication is the development of cardiac arrhythmia that may lead to cardiac arrest. A "high potassium diet" means eating 2000 to 4000 mg of potassium per day. One serving of the following contains more than 200 milligrams of potassium and hence can be classified as "high potassium foods".

General foods
•Bran (products) - ½ cup
•Chocolate – 1.5 to 2 ounces
•Granola - ½ cup
•Milk - ½ cup of any type
•Molasses – 1 tablespoon
•Nutritional supplements
•Nuts and seeds – 1 ounce
•Peanut butter – 2 tablespoons
•Salt substitutes - ½ cup
•Salt free broth - ½ cup
•Snuff or chewing tobacco
•Yogurt - ½ cup
Vegetables (½ cup)
•Acorn squash
•Artichoke
•Bamboo shoots
•Baked beans
•Butternut squash
•Beets (fresh or boiled)
•Black beans
•Brussels sprouts
•Chinese cabbage
•Carrots (raw)
•Dried beans and peas
•Greens (excluding Kale)
•Hubbard squash
•Kohlrabi
•Lentils
•Legumes
•Mushrooms (canned)
•Parsnips
•Potatoes (white and sweet)
•Pumpkin
•Refried beans
•Rutabagas
•Spinach (cooked)
•Tomatoes (products)
•Vegetable juices
Fruits
•Apricots (Raw – 2 medium, Dry – 5 halves)
•Avocado - ¼ whole
•Banana - ½ whole
•Cantaloupe - ½ cup
•Dates – 5 whole
•Dried fruits - ½ cup
•Figs (dried - ½ cup)
•Grapefruit juice ( ½ cup)
•Honeydew (½ cup)
•Kiwi (1 medium)
•Mango ( 1 medium)
•Nectarine (1 medium)
•Orange ( 1 medium or ½ cup juice)
•Papaya (½ whole)
•Pomegranate (1 whole or ½ cup juice)
•Prune (½ cup or ½ cup juice)
•Raisins (½ cup)

purplepoet20
March 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM
A little advise for those... who are afraid of the health affects while swaying, those breastfeeding, those who may have health conditions, or those who don't wont to give up a favorite.

TTC5
March 29th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for this list!!

atomic sagebrush
March 31st, 2011, 08:37 AM
FANTASTIC!!

Out of the Blue
April 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
FABULOUS! BUMP!!!

daisyfay311
April 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM
This is AWESOME! Thank you!!!

I am having a hard time calculating how much potassium I'm getting because so many foods don't seem to have it on the nutrition info even though they should have it because the foods are on lists like these.

begonia
April 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Daisyfay you might try www.fitday.com to track your potassium intake... I used the calculator to fiddle around and basically made myself a "recipe" of what foods and how much of each I should have each day to hit my potassium/sodium levels.

It was funny though, I also used it to track what my "normal" pre-sway diet was, and wow .. I was definitely not eating a diet rich in potassium. Not even meeting the RDA for the most part!

atomic sagebrush
April 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Begonia - after I had DS 4 I developed postpartum hypertension and was found to be lacking in potassium. The doctor suggested that I may just have a harder time getting potassium than other people do and he said he saw it a lot among people with heart arrhythmias (which I have had since I was a tiny girl). All I could think was, "but I have 4 boys!!"

atomic sagebrush
April 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
This is AWESOME! Thank you!!!

I am having a hard time calculating how much potassium I'm getting because so many foods don't seem to have it on the nutrition info even though they should have it because the foods are on lists like these.

Yes, potassium does not legally have to be listed in the ingredients. If you're swaying blue you are probably getting ample potassium from fruits and vegetables.

daisyfay311
April 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Yes, potassium does not legally have to be listed in the ingredients. If you're swaying blue you are probably getting ample potassium from fruits and vegetables.

Yeah see the thing that worries me about that is that I can't stand fruits and vegetables. (I know, healthy, right?) So I'm drinking gobs of fruit and vegetable juice, which I've never done, but I don't know if it's enough. There's supposed to be potassium in 'm just about everything but I still don't know.

atomic sagebrush
April 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Juice actually has MORE potassium than fruit because it's more concentrated. I wouldn't worry about it - you can pop a SMALL amount of potassium through supplement if you are really concerned but I wouldn't take more than 1 or 2 little pills of it.

mmsgirlie22
April 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Love love love!!! Being one who hates bananas it's awesome to see a list of other fruits that are great sources of potassium.