PDA

View Full Version : Horror baby

Zivic-Bubac
December 1st, 2012, 07:30 PM
It is 01:27 am and my 3 month old is screaming in her pram. She is in there bcos sometimes she falls asleep while I drive her around the appartment :worry:

Sometimes she falls asleep in my arms but never in her bed which is right next to my side of bed.
Last night or should I say morning she was awake til 4am. She is often awake well after midnight which is sort of ok, but she is screaming constantly.

I can count days when she slept through the night . I'm exhausted. She is not hungry, wet, hot, cold....I check everything, esp. that she is not hungry. I'm breastfeeding her and she's a big baby, 7kg at 2 months.

What's wrong? She doesn't have daily routine, though I'm trying to establish some, everything is random. I've just read this thread http://genderdreaming.com/forum/baby-child/19878-when-do-babies-get-easier-more-routine-when-do-u-feel-human-again.html and I'm ashamed, all the babies seem to have some sort of routine after 6-8 weeks.

She does sleep few times during the day but that's normal. Or is it? I'm not sure any more. No naps pattern, sometimes it's 20 min, sometimes 3 hours.

It seems I'll be awake again til 4 am, thank God it's Sunday tomorrow, so I'll sleep til 9am.

BeadinMom
December 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Does she spit up a lot? Or pull her legs up? Could it be colic? I used to have to have to give my boys simethicone drops all the time.

:(

Whatever it is, I hope it resolves soon, so you both find peace. XO

Wanting-a-girl
December 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Does she have acid reflux? It's a common problem

Zivic-Bubac
December 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
She does spit up a lot, but episode with colic is over, I think? She did have bad colic and I gave her Simethicone and baby-heater to keep the tummy warm and after 3 or so unbearable weeks it got better.

Thank you for kind words!

BeadinMom
December 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
My oldest had reflux - I ended up having to keep him at a 45 degree angle for at least a half hour after eating at each meal. He grew out of it at about 4 yrs old. He also ended up with a script for Zantac.

He spent most nights in his swing - it kept his head elevated and allowed me some peace. The doctor also suggested putting a wedge under his mattress, but that only made him slide down. lol.

Anyway, wishing you lots of luck...I know how hard it can be. ♥

dloui128
December 1st, 2012, 08:02 PM
DD2 had reflux and it was awful. The only way she would sleep was if I had her sitting upright and had a white noise machine on. She eventually started taking Zantac and that helped a lot.

ThreeMenAndALAdy
December 1st, 2012, 08:05 PM
My ds have acid reflux too. Zantac didn't work for him, so we used Prilosec. He had it for 9 months. Zivic, could you have her checked for reflux? I swear there's nothing worse than sleep derprivation. I'm sorry things are tough for you right now.

luvalittleman
December 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
It is 01:27 am and my 3 month old is screaming in her pram. She is in there bcos sometimes she falls asleep while I drive her around the appartment :worry:

Sometimes she falls asleep in my arms but never in her bed which is right next to my side of bed.
Last night or should I say morning she was awake til 4am. She is often awake well after midnight which is sort of ok, but she is screaming constantly.

I can count days when she slept through the night . I'm exhausted. She is not hungry, wet, hot, cold....I check everything, esp. that she is not hungry. I'm breastfeeding her and she's a big baby, 7kg at 2 months.

What's wrong? She doesn't have daily routine, though I'm trying to establish some, everything is random. I've just read this thread http://genderdreaming.com/forum/baby-child/19878-when-do-babies-get-easier-more-routine-when-do-u-feel-human-again.html and I'm ashamed, all the babies seem to have some sort of routine after 6-8 weeks.

She does sleep few times during the day but that's normal. Or is it? I'm not sure any more. No naps pattern, sometimes it's 20 min, sometimes 3 hours.

It seems I'll be awake again til 4 am, thank God it's Sunday tomorrow, so I'll sleep til 9am.

Hi ZB and I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your little bub.
My first daughter was very difficult also and I was extremely stressed and sleep deprived with her until I put her into a routine that suited me.
My two children that followed were really much easier after that.
Babies can get overstimultaed very easily, just by the world in general. Noises, lights, peoples faces, etc... make them tired easily and if they don't have time to rest (sleep) or at least have time out, they become overstimulated and wired. This then causes them to have problems getting to sleep so it's kind of a viscous cycle.
At this age, she will probably need 3 naps a day. If you find it hard to read her sleep signs (my first daughter didn't have any according to the sleep clinic I took her too!!) then set a schedule that suits you. Try for a good lunch nap in her cot and the morning naps may be a good time to get out for a walk and cover her pram so she is at least not being stimulated. The afternoon ones are usually the hardest. I always found the little rocking swings good for that afteroon nap as I was usually busy getting dinner prepared and later on, busy with the other children.
I always made sure my girls were put to bed at 7pm every night. Sometimes they would fuss and cry for a few days and not want to go to bed at that time but I just keep doing the same night after night and within a few weeks, they were going to sleep straight away at 7pm.
I do believe strongly that certain babies really need a routine (my second daughter just naturally fell into her own but DD1 and DD3 thrived once they were put on one).
There are some really helpful books out there that address settling and routines and can offer great advice on how to start. The key to it's success is consistency so whatever you choose, approach it calmly, consistently and with confidence.
All the best of luck.
x

Yuzu
December 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Oh, poor ZB!

DS3 had terrible gas and reflux for the longest time. He never did get on a schedule and I was never able to put him down. He even cried in his swing!

I ended up giving him gas drops and long, warm baths. It seemed to help, but he was always a little fussy unfortunately. It did get better once he got to 4 months old, so maybe you only have a short time left.
:hug2:

pinkin2011
December 1st, 2012, 08:45 PM
I am going through same prob with my 8 week old boy. He has infant gaviscon in his bottle sort of works and his bed is tilted. He has no routine either I hardly get any sleep he is a big baby too he has been sick and in hospital we were there for 4 days and his sleeping is shocking I feel your pain. Only thing I have found he likes and this wad yesterday is he likes to be wrapped he slept alot better

Boymomsrock
December 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
First make sure she doesn't have any sort of medical issue. After that, and it usually is that she's not getting enough sleep. Babies that age should not be awake for more than two hours at a time before she should be back to sleep. She's probably overtired and overstimulated and cant get to sleep.

nuthinbutpink
December 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
I'm so sorry. DS was awful. I wanted so much to enjoy him but I look back on his infancy with nothing but bad memories. He screamed too. No reason. No reflux. No allergies. Nothing. Just not a happy baby. I just prayed tgat he would grow up and he did.

I would start with a routine. Something regular. I think you have to do that at this point. Eat, play, sleep. Repeat.

Just rest when you can and eventually she will grow up and grow out of this but trying to find a routine for her should help.

pinkin2011
December 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
I am trying to do the routine thing now its hard to get them off to sleep when they are so overridden from not sleeping

BabyCakesTor
December 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ds3 had GERD. It was horrible! I was breast feeding all the time until they diagnosed him with it and gave him a prescription, He would spit up everything, never slept without me, cried all the time, losing weight... Horrible. He's 20 months now and has been on a routine sleeping in his bed and through the night since 11-12 months old. Some babies are just difficult and you have to sleep when u can. Ask for help when u can and google sleep problems and such... I spent weeks doing research. You will eventually find something that works for the both of u. But definitely have the baby checked for any health related issues.

Zivic-Bubac
December 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Thank you all for kind words an good advises! :HH:

Though I'm pretty sure she doesn't have medical issues or acid reflux, I'll have her checked :agree:

You are absolutely right about sleeping routine, and I'm pretty strict with that with my 2 older girls. They had rather rigid daily schedule ( which worked amazing) but they were much older, year or so and I can't remember how on earth I managed when they were babies :( I remember DD1 was difficult, screaming baby and DD2 was, so to speak ideal baby.

I've already started to establish some routine, she is sleeping now ( though I'm dreading she'll be awake any second now :worry: ) and I'll try to make 3 naps throughout the day, around 10am, 1pm and 4-5pm ( I did some reading, I'm not that clever :p ) I'm not hoping for a major success, just not to feel like I'll pass out every second.

It's comforting to hear I'm not the only one and some of you guys had the same type of problem :bighug:

auroara78
December 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
ZB, just recently, Lillian went from really chilled out and sleeping all the time, to miss fussy. She got so mad last week she scratched her face! We had to clip her nails. Last night, she slept most of the evening when I was home, and I was relieved that I didn't have to hear her screaming for no reason, then just as I was going to bed, she started fussing and fussed non stop for like an hour before she fell asleep again, and DH was with her, trying to burp her really well, hold her, bounce her, cuddle her close. Anyway, DH ran out to get her gripe water and that seemed to help some....I'm also thinking we shoudl have some gas drops on hand, just in case too.

I am just so puzzled that she's 12 weeks old and all of sudden, she's gotten so hard. I should prob. take her to the doctor to get checked out.

atomic sagebrush
December 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Suzy too!!! She was perfect until 12 weeks and she's been putting me thru the paces ever since!!!

atomic sagebrush
December 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Oh and NONE of my 5 has ever settled into any kind of schedule until they were like 6 months old. As soon as I thought we had a good thing going with naps and going to bed at a certain time, they'd change it up. DD will have days where she sleeps all day long (and still well at night) and then days where she hardly sleeps at all and then is hard to put down at night too. It's like she rolls into the kitchen and has some coffee or something. Yesterday was one of those days o.O She also does the same thing with the naps, sometimes she literally sleeps for 2 minutes and then other times she'll nap for 3 hours, wake up to eat, and go right back to sleep again.

She used to be happy to sit on my lap while I was on the computer but now she won't do it much any more, she wants me to carry her around and she seems to get bored very easily, so she likes me to walk into other rooms, I can't even stay in the living room/kitchen area!! Her favorite room is the bathroom so it feels like I'm in there all day long so she can see herself in the mirror!!!

I honestly have never had much luck with babies and routines. They seem to do what they want to do and the more I try for a routine, I just get frustrated and disappointed. I hope your little one calms down soon.

auroara78
December 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
atomic, I'm sorry you are experiencing this too, but glad I'm not alone, lol.

I don't know what is up with Lillian, but yeah, you have to prop her up a certain way so she can see everything and if not, she really gets pissy and lets everyone know! I hope it gets better...the boys were a breeze, even DS2's milk allergy was an issue but once we got him switched to hypoallergic formula he was better...maybe this is God telling me that I should be done having children if each child keeps getting harder and harder, lol.

Zivic-Bubac
December 7th, 2012, 02:31 PM
.maybe this is God telling me that I should be done having children if each child keeps getting harder and harder, lol.
I don't think so! :wink:

My DD1 was little torturer, DD2 was so easy to handle-I was very proud how experienced I am and therefore my baby is quiet, smiling, sleeping on her own etc. Gee, was I in delusion or what? :rofl:

This little piece of work, DD3, is getting worse. The day before yesterday she fell asleep at 3:30 am, last night ( or better said morning) she was asleep at around 3 am. I am trying so hard to establish routine for her, but nothing so far :worry:

So I was thinking, maybe my odd kids are difficult (DD1 and DD3) and even are nice (DD2 and :pray: DS)
Maybe your next baby will be the easiest baby ever :wink:

Oh, btw, I've scheduled at pediatrician to have her checked for Dec 18 :agree:

aidansmum
July 3rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear she's giving you so much trouble. My LO was pretty fussy up to 2 months of age and woke up every 2 hours! I was like a zombie! It turned out he had reflux. He was feeling miserable. Paediatrician put him on Gaviscon and Mylanta and he started sleeping in 5-6 hrs stretches, it was like a miracle. I also put him on AR formula and stopped the Gaviscon, that made the whole difference.
Good luck and hope she settles soon.