PDA

View Full Version : Scans - when can you see that things are ok before 8 weeks ?

Mum23boys
December 3rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Can you see the heartbeat on an ultrasound from like 6 weeks ?

Im only 5 weeks now but want a scan before xmas to check everything is ok i will be 8 weeks xmas eve so would need to try and get a scan either in week 6 (10th-14th) or week 7 (17th-21st)
Would I do better to wait until the 7th week - will i see more on the scan or is there not going to be that much difference ?
Im not expecting to see a baby but id like to see the sac ( or 2 ) and the heartbeat(s)

Mrs_P
December 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
if you looking for twins, the later the better as sacs are hard to see when they are tiny. I had one at 6 weeks with ds2, all they could tell me was that there was a sac and i had to go back a week later to see if there was any change (i'd had early bleeding). With this baby i went in a 7 weeks and they said baby was measuring 6 weeks but had a really good strong regular heartbeat (which they can't normally see at 6 weeks), so depends on babies development and how far into whatever week it is as to what they can see - preferrably i'd leave it til 7 weeks as you don't want to feel disappointed and unsure still as that defeats the point of an early scan.

Just to forewarn you to, they may not let you see anything - my early test lately they didn't once turn the monitor to me and machine was rigged so mum couldn't see (i suppose because its often not good news or used for a gynae problems that you don't need to see). I felt a bit cheated that the first time my baby was seen and it was not by me but atleast all was well.

Wishing4Princess
December 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Mum23, can you book an appt. at 6 wks? I remember in the past and this current pregnancy, they wouldn't even schedule me for an appt, until i turned 8 wks pregnant. I read that at 6wks heartbeat can be found, but doctors here won't do vaginal ultrasounds..maybe wait til you are 8 wks? it's easier said than done. i'm so worried about my pregnancy, b/c I don't feel pregnant one bit. I don't have anymore symtoms. it would be nice to know that im still pregnant...should I take an at home pregnancy test

Atsaukina1
December 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
when do they do regular external ones? I def. do not want an internal lol. I am so not feeling prego either and i don't know why but every other prego I took 1 test saw it was postive and there was never a doubt in my mind this one I am worrying so much more. I was making the cards last night and dh was like so "it's official we really are" this is a very smart educated man but really I was like "what??" yes I showed you 2 tests (1 was a digi "pregnant") does he not know how pregnancy works lol and yesterday I trid to do some opk's since i'm out fo hpt and 3 of them came up w/ errors and I know how to do them so now I wanna go out and get some prego tests uggg. so I feel you I wanting to test early(even though I don't do us) I really do understand

NearlyDone
December 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I had a regular external scan with dd2 at 7 weeks and 2 days....they warned me i may not see a heartbeat but we did

3boys
December 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
I had a private external scan at 7 wks exactly (measured 6 wks 6 days). Saw baby and the heartbeat :)

ThreeMenAndALAdy
December 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
I had one at 6w1d and the hb was 122.

Wanting-a-girl
December 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
With my second I had one at 6 weeks and he had a strong heart beat... And i had a 8 week one with number three which was way better more of a baby to look at :) But I have also known people to go for 6 week ultrasounds and see a heartbeat only to be very upset at their 12 week apt... But really I've seen all kinds of terrible things.... I've done some training with an ob/gyn before my son was diagnosed with autism cause I was going to medical school. And planning on following that path... Unfortunately life got in the way a bit

Good luck :)

Cinss
December 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I had my scan @ 7 weeks with DD after my m/c and we could see the heart beat.

Mum23boys
December 4th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks Ladies I know things can still go wrong between 7 and 12 weeks but I really just need that piece of mind before xmas - Especially after the loss we had. I know ill just worry otherwise.
Ill be honest with the midwife when she calls and see what she says and follow her advice,

MrsP Im not expecting to see anything myself hun but i just want to know the heartbeat is there and that everything is ok - I know im being silly and over cautious and worrying too much but i cant seem to help it. Maybe ill feel better after my booking in call with the midwife today

sdreed76
December 5th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I went today got my first scan. I am 7 wks 5 days, scan showed 7 wks 1 day. I cried immediately the second the image came on the screen, you could see the heart beating away :)

jennaesue
December 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I had a scan where the baby was measuring 5 weeks, 5 days, and only the sac could be seen. I went back 10 days later, and baby was measuring 7 weeks exactly and we could see the heartbeat.

Mum23boys
December 14th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks Ladies Im 6 weeks something now give or take a few days and everything feels normal