PDA

View Full Version : Flu Vaccination - Will you be getting it ?

Pearl327
December 4th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I have the option of getting the flu vaccination in work tomorrow and I was just wondering what your thoughts were on it. I know that it is recommended for pregnant women to get the vaccine but at the same time I didn't get it when I was pregnant with DD and I have only had the flu once in my life when I was a teenager.

So will you be getting it ?

3boys
December 4th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I heard it protects baby from the flu for six months after birth so I will probably get it even though I'm not looking forward to it.

Atsaukina1
December 4th, 2012, 07:21 AM
nope never have never will-

Praying4Pink
December 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
So funny you asked this. There is actually a running joke in our area (I work at an educational institution that has a wellness center) because the last time I took the flu shot I became pregnant with my son. Guess what...I also received the flu shot a month before I became pregnant this time. Interesting. I don't know that they are necessary but make sure you get the preservative free one if you do get it.

cvd
December 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
No way lol!!!

Rosie85
December 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I did because the flu is very dangerous for babies to contract. I didn't get one with my first and he got the flu and was in the hospital for days.

dloui128
December 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I got one at my OB's office

Atsaukina1
December 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I did because the flu is very dangerous for babies to contract. I didn't get one with my first and he got the flu and was in the hospital for days.

sorry it is always scary when our babes are sick:( can i ask was he ebf then?

Rosie85
December 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
no I don't make breastmilk beyond the colostrum which was all he got. Breastfeeding is no guarantee against the flu either especially if the mother didn't have it in the last year.

Butterfly Spirit
December 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
NO WAY! :)

And my doc even tried to scare me into it! Oh fing well! My local news is trying to scare people into getting it now too.
During the H1N1 scare I did get one, and I think at the time I was prego with DS#2, but ironically that shot made me and DH Really sick! I won't be getting another.

The Anchor
December 4th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I want to preface this response by saying I am not anti-vaccine, and by no means is this meant to scare you into making a decision that isn't right for you. There is a case in Ontario where a doctor basically accused a woman of being a bad mother for turning down a flu shot at 4 months pregnant. She ended up getting the shot...and losing the baby 4 days later. She tried to sue the doctor, and she got someone from the states to give a statement saying that the drug companies have never even tested the flu shot on pregnant woman, because it's unethical! So there's no evidence to its safety. And for H1N1, the drug companies said they "didn't have time" to test it on pregnant women. So no one is saying it's not effective, just questioning the safety and all. I never got the flu shot when I was pregnant. BUT, every one of my mommy friends who got the H1N1 vaccine when they were pregnant had kids who were just fine.

Cinss
December 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I wont get it, i dont like needles, and i dont get sick often so i dont see the need for it.

Mum23boys
December 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Ive never had the flu and ive never had the flu shot - I dont see any reason for getting it - its just another needle i could avoid and another load of chemicals being pumped into me so no i wont be getting it.

Pearl327
December 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hmmm. I am booked in but still really undecided. This is the regular flu vaccine not the H1N1 which was around for the 2nd time when I was pregnant with DD but near the very end of the pregnancy and my ob didn't recommend it due to lack of testing. I guess I will see how I feel in the morning

aroundtheworld
December 4th, 2012, 05:16 PM
no I don't make breastmilk beyond the colostrum which was all he got. Breastfeeding is no guarantee against the flu either especially if the mother didn't have it in the last year.

True, but getting a flu shot actually isn't a guarantee against the flu either. Just to be fair. ;)

Butterfly Spirit
December 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hmmm. I am booked in but still really undecided. This is the regular flu vaccine not the H1N1 which was around for the 2nd time when I was pregnant with DD but near the very end of the pregnancy and my ob didn't recommend it due to lack of testing. I guess I will see how I feel in the morning

My doc told me the new H1N1 strain is part of the US flu shot. Just make totally sure it's not the same one.

aroundtheworld
December 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM
No, I will not be getting a flu shot. My entire family, including my newborn son, got the Swine Flu back in late 2009. It was actually "better" than the normal flu. We were all sickly for a few days and that was it.

NearlyDone
December 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I refused it at my 1st midwife visit....think i may get the whooping cough one at the end tho

Rosie85
December 4th, 2012, 06:07 PM
We had the swine flu and I almost died.

Atsaukina1
December 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM

sorry:( I was just asking because even though it will not stop them from getting a virus or bacteria it does help them cope with it. When we are all sick and coughing and dying he gets sick but nurses and nurses and is able to fight it and do ok. I am also from the camp that believe getting sick helps our immune system become stronger so just different beliefs:)

Rosie85
December 4th, 2012, 07:38 PM
no no, not different beliefs. I only get the flu shot when pregnant. I don't ever give it to my kids. Ha I let my kids eat off the floor sometimes, it builds immunity too. I don't mind them being sick and they never get very sick to begin with just DS1 when he was a baby but then again he had a rough birthing experience so I wasn't surprised. Now he barely gets colds. I do a very delayed vaccine schedule and refuse ones like the chx pox so yeah I don't believe in safeguarding from everything , it's dumb.

aroundtheworld
December 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM
We had the swine flu and I almost died.

Strange how it affects people differently. I'm glad you're alive!

Boymomsrock
December 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I think it's crazy that we don't want women ingesting too much fish while pregnant because of mercury but will willingly inject them with it. No thanks! I'm not pregnant but I've never had the flu shot and never had the flu. If you look at the actual pamphlet it says there's no evidence this prevents the flu.

Pearl327
December 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM
The flu vaccine in Ireland does not contain any aluminium or thiomersal. I am not against vaccines nor do I vaccinate or medicate for everything either. In fact DD has never had any antibiotics and I have not taken any in 15 years. I have never had the flu vaccine before but there is something in my gut telling me that this is a good idea for me at the moment. So I think I will have to go with my Gut, which scoffed at the idea of the vaccine when I was pregnant with DD.

sdreed76
December 5th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I just got mine today. I work with children and it was highly recommended.

Wanting-a-girl
December 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Nope! I think we have an immune system for a reason

coocoobananas
December 5th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I got the actual flu twice in 3 months... Or maybe never quite got over it and it hit hard again?!? Anyway, I haven't had it that bad since I was about 8... It was baaaad! I felt so guilty I didn't get it that year as i was afraid my boys would get it but really don't like getting it at all! Anyway, I got it this pregnancy for that exact reason... It's probably the preservative free kind (apparently for preggos) as I wouldn't want to endure that or the baby be affected now that I know how awful it is! But unless my work pressures me (I work at the hospital) in the future, I won't get it again most likely or my out of womb children!
I have to say I felt a lot of pressure to do it from my doc. Love her to bits, but she probably would have coerced me into it in her sweetly voice lol!!

Wanting-a-girl
December 6th, 2012, 12:41 AM
During pregnancy is for sure a time I would not get it! Have your read the ingredients in vaccinations it's quite disturbing.... I also don't vaccinate my kids for certain vaccines like varicella for instance... I survived the chicken pox and so did all my friends... There's another shot that is quite new for babies that my dr was pressuring me to get and I literally just laughed at him lol.... My sons 21 months and vaccine free so far but I am going to be starting them up in the next couple weeks as I have been a nervous wreck for the past 21 months... I decided to delay vaccinations because of my middle son has severe autism and I didn't want any what ifs with Ezra

coocoobananas
December 6th, 2012, 01:53 AM
During pregnancy is for sure a time I would not get it! Have your read the ingredients in vaccinations it's quite disturbing.... I also don't vaccinate my kids for certain vaccines like varicella for instance... I survived the chicken pox and so did all my friends... There's another shot that is quite new for babies that my dr was pressuring me to get and I literally just laughed at him lol.... My sons 21 months and vaccine free so far but I am going to be starting them up in the next couple weeks as I have been a nervous wreck for the past 21 months... I decided to delay vaccinations because of my middle son has severe autism and I didn't want any what ifs with Ezra

A little late now as its done. I'm ok with my decision:)

Mum23boys
December 6th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Here in the Uk they suggest you take vitamin D as well as folic acid in pregnancy. It was never like this 3 years ago when i had ds3 so is a relatively new thing but i think its a good thing.

NearlyDone
December 6th, 2012, 03:59 AM
in the uk we dont vac against chicken pox.......all 4 of my girls had it at once and were fine. except dd4 who had to go and get her eyes dyed because she had them on her eyeballs and they wanted to check they had not scarred her cornea.....my dd1 has asthma and i dont give her the flu jab imo its not nessesary