PDA

View Full Version : Exercise question for TTC pink -- calorie goal?

dramabird
March 31st, 2011, 05:04 PM
I know the guideline is 45-60 minutes a day, at least six days a week. But 45-60 minutes of cardio can definitely vary, depending on the type of exercise. 60 minutes of walking, for example, isn't going to burn as many calories as running for 60 minutes. But I think if I tried to run for 60 minutes I'd flop over, splat. :)

So is there perhaps a number of calories we should try to burn to get in a good acidifying exercise session? I might not be able to run for 45 minutes but I could walk for 90, say ... so a calorie goal/threshold would be hugely helpful.

Thank you!!

P.S. I find myself cringing in fear of the monkeys as I get ready to push "post" -- and then remember there should be no fear of that here! Phew!

atomic sagebrush
April 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Walking BRISKLY for 90 minutes is better than running for 30 or even 45 minutes. The reason is not the number of calories burned, but because your body first uses all the carbs you have eaten and that are in your blood for energy, and it takes 45 minutes minimum to begin really burning off fat/muscle and you want to get into that zone where you're burning them because it lowers your testosterone and acidifies you.

That having been said, more intense is obviously better, so even if you can't run for 60 minutes, could you do an exercise video like Tae Bo or the Firm that is more intense than straight walking? When I was in super good shape, I used to do two Tae Bos in a row.

dramabird
April 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Thank you so much for your help, Atomic. My hope is to be able to do *at least* a 60-minute session each time composed of primarily brisk walking with occasional bursts of running. And then upping the time, as my endurance allows. Great tip on the exercise videos -- I'll take a look on Netflix to see what is available.

Thanks again!!

atomic sagebrush
April 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Running kills me for other reasons (mainly boobs and ankles!) Anyway I think that sounds like a great plan!