PDA

View Full Version : not yet five weeks and wanting to switch obs...

squamgirl
December 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I'm not yet five weeks along and I'm already wanting to switch my ob.

Long story....

Pregnancy #1: OB was so-so. Lots of morning sickness. OB didn't care, didn't help.

Pregnancy #2: I switched to a new OB and he was wonderful. I found out at my first appt that I was miscarrying and he was so kind and compassionate. More morning sickness than the 1st pregnancy.

Pregnancy #3: I stayed with the good dr. When I called to make my first appt, they started to set it up for 8 weeks until I told them that I had had a miscarriage and that Dr B said he's see me sooner. They said, yes of course, let's get you in right away. Dr saw me at 5 weeks and did an ultrasound so I could see my baby. He then saw me every two weeks (with and ultrasound) until I was out of the 1st trimester. There was no medical reason to do it. He was just awesome and wanted to give me peace of mind. Even more morning sickness than pregnancies #1 and #2. Dr was very good to me, tried to get me the right meds to help. I had a number of complications pop up during the pregnancy and he saw me through them all. I'm worried that with pregnancy #4, the sickness and complications could get even worse.

Pregnancy #4 (this one): We've moved across country. I found a new OB and I went for an annual exam in October to establish myself as a patient. I called today to get an appt. My dr practices in two locations. One is less than ten minutes away. The other is 30-45 minutes away. The staff member at the close location told me to call the further location to set up my appt because she didn't know how to. The staff member at the further location put me on hold several times and it took quite awhile to set the appt. My appt isn't until I'm 10 1/2 weeks along. And it's at the further location because it would have been even later at the closer location. Later in the afternoon when I had stewed about it and realized that it was really bugging me, I called back (and had to hold for over five minutes) and asked why the appt is so far out and they said that's the first one they have and that they don't book before 8 weeks anyway (which I understand is the policy of several doctors). When I explained that my previous dr saw me earlier because of the miscarriage, the staff member had no reply. I guess they just don't care? In previous pregnancies, I was already sick as can be by 10 weeks. And if the staff doesn't care....

I don't know. I'm just feeling like I should find a different OB. I just haven't been able to find any here that I like. She was the closest thing. But if her staff is going to be lame.... making me hold, difficult to set up appointments, I just got an overall vibe that they're difficult to work with.

I don't have anyone that I can talk to about this because we haven't announced the pregnancy. DH is super sick today and I don't want to stress him because he already feels bad about getting sick and doesn't want to get me sick. So, I'm coming to you ladies to talk about it. Ugh- why does finding a good dr have to be so difficult?

BabyCakesTor
December 8th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I would find a new one... Follow ur intuition.. Most of the time ur are dealing with staff and if u don't like them now, it'll most likely get worse. "Interview" as many as you can before you get later in the pregnancy..

squamgirl
December 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM
That's what I'm thinking. If they're a pain at five weeks, when it's just a pre-natal appt, what's it going to be like when they're an emergency or when I'm so sick I can barely speak to them?

I met her in person at an open house when the newest hospital in the area opened up and I thought I liked her, but maybe not....

Tiggerian
December 8th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Don't stick with an OB who makes you feel uncomfortable and doesn't take your concerns seriously!

My Midwife in my DS2 pregnancy was horrendous! I wish I had switched, but I didn't want to seem rude. But she kept forgetting to put my blood tests through, she forgot to do paper work, refused a CVS (despite having a baby with a chromosome defect), never asked how I was (despite having PND with ds1).. she even scolded my DS1, who wasn't even 2 at the time, for toddling around her office while she listened to the heart. He wasn't doing anything. He tried to open a locked cabinet and she flipped at him... Took my ds1 then and asked for home consultants after that (but that resulted in me never seeing the same midwife through the pregnancy).

Go with your instincts!! Feeling safe with your caregiver is so important and absolutely if you've got a history of sickness and miscarriages.

squamgirl
December 10th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I found two new doctors this morning. Both of them will see me next week- a full month before my current doctor! Now I just have to decide which one to go with.
Thanks for your support and opinions ladies. I knew I needed to switch, I just needed to talk to someone about it. Thanks!

bigchrista
December 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Glad you switched doctors!! Google the doc's name and or name of the practice with your town of course. YOu can read their bios and maybe read some reviews. A lot of practices now have web sites too.

squamgirl
December 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Both of the doctors that I got into have websites, etc.
I'm a major researcher... that's part of the reason it's a pain for me to find a doc- I research to a fault :)

squamgirl
January 5th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Update....

I'm certainly glad I switched doctors. The first dr I was scheduled with wouldn't have even gotten me in until Jan 16th.

I miscarried this week and I had already been to my new drs office (saw his NP) when I went in for the ultrasound and the staff was fantastic and the new dr was very helpful. I'll be back in for another ultrasound when the bleeding stops. I can't imagine the first drs office being good to work with through this.

Wanting-a-girl
January 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
So sorry for your loss :(

WantingPink
January 5th, 2013, 09:55 PM
So sorry to hear about that. Good thing you switched!!

Justjessica
January 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Sorry about your loss.