PDA

View Full Version : C. Difficile and first trimester

Justjessica
December 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I hadn't wanted to announce yet that I am 10 weeks pregnant as I've never told anyone other than DH before 12 weeks before. But I am in hospital with C. Difficile and feel so lonely and frightened. Has anyone else had this in the first trimester? Was the baby ok? Feel so rubbish right now :(

nuthinbutpink
December 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry. Are you on antibiotics? My grandmother had it and it was a long battle for her because she is older. It is very contagious so be careful who visits. The only thing that kills it is bleach.

I hope they are able to get it under control soon. I have no idea how or if it affects pregnancy.

RedCanoe
December 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Oh, how miserable. :( I don't know anything about the effects during pregnancy, but according to Dr. Google "there is no evidence to suggest that C. diff infection during pregnancy can harm the unborn baby." So hopefully that puts your mind at east a little. Feel better soon, hun.

NearlyDone
December 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I dont know what it is but hope you feel better soon xx

Justjessica
December 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am on antibiotics and a drip. I got really dehydrated and ketones were 5+. Much as I'd love to see my kids I wouldn't want them to catch this, it's horrible. Just hope the baby hasn't suffered too much with me not eating and all the dehydration.

cvd
December 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I also don't know what that is but I had hand foot and mouth disease early on in my first trimester. I honestly have no idea if that is comparable to what you have but my doctor was fairly concerned at the time, cause of the high fevers and usually adults shouldn't get it at all. Really hope you feel better shortly!!!!!! :)

Justjessica
December 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks cvd. Foot and mouth sounds horrible. Glad it turned out ok.

3boys
December 10th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Not sure what It is but hope you feel better soon x

Ezz
July 31st, 2016, 11:42 PM
Hi Justjessica, I know this is a few years after your post but am wondering if anything happened to your baby once he/she was born?*

I had C.Diff when I was 7-10 weeks pregnant and I too was very scared about my baby's health.* I was given 40 vancomycin antibiotics to take, which I was told was safe to take during pregnancy.* To what extent that is true I am not sure because my baby has been suffering from illnesses for over 6 months now.* It started with fevers, and they are recurring (sometimes every week), and when she turned 20 months she got viral infections (coughing for weeks), ongoing fevers, cold-like symtpoms and mouth ulcers as well at one stage.* It seems never-ending.* Today we found out she has neutropenia and anaemia.* I am wondering if it was due to the strong antibiotics I was prescribed during first trimester?

atomic sagebrush
August 2nd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Ezz, I'm not sure she comes onto the site any more. I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's illnesses and I hope and pray they get things sorted out for you guys very soon. :heart:

Does anyone else have any information to share about this??

Burakoam
August 2nd, 2016, 08:39 PM
Only what Google says which is that one of the ways they treat neutropenia is with strong antibiotics so to me that doesn't sound like it would come from antibiotic treatment? No person experience just what Dr Google says

Ezz
August 4th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Thanks Burakoam. Doctor is referring us to an immunologist. She's already had 3 different courses of antibiotics (on separate occasions) within 2 months. I'm not a fan of antibiotics, especially with someone so young, but when you see your little one go through illness after illness you trust your doctor and do what you can to help them. I just wonder if maybe my taking strong antibiotics during early pregnancy may have affected her immune system (or maybe gut flora) when she was developing in utero? At the time, the hospital told me they were safe to take and won't pass through to bub but not enough studies were done on humans. I guess this is more a question for medical professionals...

atomic sagebrush
August 5th, 2016, 12:55 PM
The medical professionals do not know. They know so little about the way the immune system works. (remember, they were the ones telling you it was safe anyway)

If I were in your shoes I would be wondering the exact same thing. Even something like maybe it disrupted YOUR gut bacteria and they were not passed to your baby - or could the C Difficile itself have caused this? We could imagine a million sets of circumstances. These are the kinds of things that one would naturally think about in this situation, totally understandably. I just don't think anyone really knows where the truth lies and probably never will.

I hope and pray that you guys are in good hands and that they are pursuing the best treatment that they can come up with for her and that this is soon just a distant memory. :heart: