PDA

View Full Version : Just chit chat - what's everyone do for a living???

cvd
December 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Just curious to see what everyone does for a living??? Career/main hobbies?

Me: prior to DS I was working in financial services & also a part-time server. I am now a stay-at-home-mom and I'm also an RCM grade 9 pianist!

Mbmk
December 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Great idea :)

I'm a nurse - love it!

Mum23boys
December 10th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Before DS1 I was a PA to the MD of a massive bank in Central London earning loads of wonga and loved it but hated the hours ( leaving at 5.30am getting home at 8.30pm) could no longer do that when i had DS1 so i managed a recruitment agency more locally but still hated being away from him so when i found out i was pregnant with DS 2 i registered to become a childminder and set up my own daycare at home. 2 children on and I LOVE IT - Been about 7 years now and although the hardest job ive ever ad i also wouldnt swap it for the world - i earn enough to cover half the outgoings from our account and i get to see my kids growing up. I have about 15 kids on my books and I love everyone of them like they were my own.

Pearl327
December 10th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I am an Accountant in an American Multinational Co. which is about 20 mins away from where I live. I work a 4 day week 8.30 to 5 with very little travel or staying late required. I love the people I work with, my boss if flexible to my needs as a mum and I am well paid, but it is not the most exciting job in the world. Before I started here I worked for a large european company and spent about 3 weeks out of 4 travelling, I changed from that one 6 months before my wedding as I knew we would be trying to start a family soon after.

Tiggerian
December 10th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'm a student - currently studying psychology, human biology, health issues and sociology. I've applied for university to train as an antenatal teacher and hope to continue studying afterwards as a midwife.

OH works in a shop and is working towards taking it over as a manager.

3boys
December 10th, 2012, 08:11 AM
My husband works in the public sector but I'm not allowed to spill the beans lol, def not online. I used to be a secretary before I became a stay at home mum. I would love to one day study to become a midwife... It is a dream of mine.

bigchrista
December 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm a stay at home mommy for past 11 yrs. :)

squamgirl
December 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Before my boys were born, I worked as a welfare caseworker. Now I'm a SAHM. DH does IT stuff for a financial company.

OneLastDream
December 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I work two days a week in it for a London law firm and I also work from home as a qualified beautician. I prefer the beautician work from the money isn't guaranteed

Praying4Pink
December 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I work for an educational institution as an office assistant. I am also a PT business instructor. I am finishing my Ph.D. so that I can become a full time professor. I am half way finished! DH is a school teacher.

Mommyof3boys
December 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I am a student with a year to go before I can be a math teacher. I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and currently work as an administrative assistant in the education field.

cvd
December 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Great to hear ladies!

For those who aren't necessarily in their "desired" or "long term" career, what do you aspire to be??

For us, DH works as a general labourer in metal fabrication, welding etc. BUT my in-laws are farmers. They own a ton of property and farm corn, strawberries, soybeans and wheat. SO all though I am a stay at home mom and DH doesn't quite make a fortune, we currently save every single penny so we can get our own farm property, DH hopes to take over his dad's farm whenever he decides to retire. Doing this, puts me into the full time position of watching/organizing the accounts & books. Which I like to deal with money anyway, and let's me stay home. It's our dream and DH's passion. We will get there!

Pearl327
December 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Cvd both my family and DHs family have farms too. The plan for us is that in a few years whenever we get the chance is to farm too. I breed and show purebred cattle which I keep on my parents farm at the min. We have a grass based beef and lamb farm with a family veg plot and orchard

cvd
December 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Cvd both my family and DHs family have farms too. The plan for us is that in a few years whenever we get the chance is to farm too. I breed and show purebred cattle which I keep on my parents farm at the min. We have a grass based beef and lamb farm with a family veg plot and orchard

Aw that's great!!! So glad to hear of other farmers, do you like having the animals? FILs is based mostly on cattle corn. Most farms in my area don't have livestock - just cattle corn and soybeans.
Where abouts are you Pearl? Here in Canada they are TERRIBLE for helping new farmers. They used to have programs but now you can't buy a farm without 25% down payment, and with decent properties being approximately 400k to start, it's hard. Good thing we are only 23 & 26 so we can save eventually enough LOL. DH has worked on the farm (well now he just helps on the side) since he was about 10, so luckily he knows how to run the whole thing and fix all the equipment on his own.

jennaesue
December 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Before having kids, I was a social worker. My bachelors degree is in Sociology. I went back to school to get a teaching certificate, so I am now certified to teach secondary social studies, but we accidentally got pregnant with ds3 while I was student teaching, so I haven't actually taught yet. The plan is I'll start looking when this new little one is around a year old or so. I was an instructional aide in a high school when ds1 was around 18 months old, and I loved it. I think I'll probably start out looking for a job like that in a school setting before I try to find a real teaching job. I have been a SAHM for about 6 years now (with a break for student teaching).

My dh is an electrical engineer and works for a company that does railroad-related things. He loves his job, and gets to travel a lot, which is good and bad. He just spent 2 weeks in Italy apparently having the time of his life, lol.

jennaesue
December 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM
My husband works in the public sector but I'm not allowed to spill the beans lol, def not online. I used to be a secretary before I became a stay at home mum. I would love to one day study to become a midwife... It is a dream of mine.

Mysterious! :)

Pearl327
December 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Aw that's great!!! So glad to hear of other farmers, do you like having the animals? FILs is based mostly on cattle corn. Most farms in my area don't have livestock - just cattle corn and soybeans.
Where abouts are you Pearl? Here in Canada they are TERRIBLE for helping new farmers. They used to have programs but now you can't buy a farm without 25% down payment, and with decent properties being approximately 400k to start, it's hard. Good thing we are only 23 & 26 so we can save eventually enough LOL. DH has worked on the farm (well now he just helps on the side) since he was about 10, so luckily he knows how to run the whole thing and fix all the equipment on his own.

I am in Ireland. Most farms here are livestock based with a bit of tillage on the side with a few market garden farms around dublin.

I love the animals, esp my show cattle who you have to spend a lot of time with. I will be selling a young bull in March and I normally lead them on the halter myself but I don't know how that would work with a bump (I know my Dad and DH would probably freak out if I suggest it). I also really love the lambing time which is in Feb on our Farm, but again I won't be able to help out due to the risk of toxoplasmosis.

It is difficult enough to get into farming in Ireland if you come from a non farming background, All young farmers must have done a training course before they are given a herd number. Most do it straight after school and before doing your degree. (I actually met DH in ag college when I was 17). If you were to buy or rent then it would be very hard to make a profit. So we are waiting until one of the Dad's hangs up his wellies and at the min spend every second weekend on one of the farms

3boys
December 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mysterious! :)

Trust me babe it's not exciting and he definitely doesn't think so lol

Mum23boys
December 15th, 2012, 07:56 AM
he has to work for the government or something really boring then :-p only joking. xx