PDA

View Full Version : Help with organising a cocktail party

Mum23boys
December 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Right girls bit off the subject of pregnancies but I need help and suggestions for organising a cocktail party for new years eve which is also mine and hubbys wedding anniversary.

Im trying to write a list of things ill need to acquire can you please add suggestions / advice on decorations / lay out of room, utensils needed etc ?
I dont want to go mad as i cant afford to so will ask everyone to bring a bottle and ill buy all the mixers and utensils nibbles.

I thought we would do some cocktail making competitions and those of us that not drinking can experiment with non alcohol cocktails and as kids will be here they can do tehir own little cocktail making thing too.

So anyway on my list to aquire i have:

Umbrellas
straws
stirers
plastic cockatil glasses
crushed ice
cocktail book
shakers
******ers for new years eve
paper plates and cups

Pearl327
December 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I love throwing parties.
Don't forget the paper tablecloths or regular ones if you have them to save your tables from sticky drink spills. The disposable serving platters are great too. Are you going making some of the nibbles yourself if so then here are some suggestions for prepare ahead food that mostly doesn't need the oven
Cold roast beef on crostini with a horseradish & Creme fraiche
Smoked salmon pâté with brown bread
Cheese board with crackers, chutney & fruits
Italian antipasti board meats, olives, grilled veg
Cocktail sausages cooked earlier and heated up in the oven
Chicken satay skewers
Falafels,
Veg, pitta breads, chips and a selection of dips, salsa, sour cream, tapenade, pesto.

Some jugs of cocktail drinks that have gone down well any time I have made them are
Winter pimms punch and a white wine peach sangria.

Also as it is new years eve you may want something bubbly for the new year

And desert wise you can't beat a mars bar krispie cake for the kids and maybe a trifle and cheesecake

I made all the above and more for a prechristmas party for 30 last December. And have planned large parties for 21st, 50th, christenings and other celebrations.You need to have helpers at least one on drinks and one on food

For room layout. Make sure their is walking space and group chairs and tables together. Have a designated bar area and food area with no chairs beside them as people like to sit close to the good stuff and block up the area

If you want any more info or recipes let me know. Don't forget a music playlist

Pearl327
December 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Also this might help

How to cater for a party - Recipe features - Recipes - BBC Good Food (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/features/catering-for-a-party/1/)

Also some mocktail recipies.

http://www.drinkaware.ie/index.php?sid=7&pid=313&gclid=CKfAk-rakrQCFcG_3godUDIAHA

Atsaukina1
December 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM
sounds like lots of fun. girl you are better than me though cuz I think I would be asleep and nothing wuld be made lol. have fun planning:)

nuthinbutpink
December 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I like the idea of having a signature drink when guests arrive. You can have an alcoholic and non-A drink available. Something with champagne since it's new years and fruity as an opening drink. I think it gets things started and it's a great way to greet guests.

Mum23boys
December 14th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks ladies I dont want it to be too formal just a few friends and neighbours over for a bit of fun making coktails but some of the idea are fab.