PDA

View Full Version : Help me with baby carriers please

Lassie1982
December 13th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I'm debating on what sort of baby carrier to get and could really do with some advice and suggestions

I used a baby Bjorn for DS but I had to stop using it at about 10 months due to weight, it was just too uncomfortable. I've since learned that they are considered bad for baby from a posture perspective.

So I'm tossing up between a Beco / Ergo http://www.becobabycarrier.com/
http://store.ergobaby.com/

OR

a sling like this http://www.babaslings.com/index.php

What I'm after is
- best comfort for bub and of course safety
- longevity, I'd like to use it to at least a year
- ideally easy to breast feed in
- ease of use
- comfort or me, I plan to use it often

I like the beco/ergo because it seems structurally sound, and seems like it would be comfortable to wear. Though I'm unsure on the babies comfort, seems to be very baby Bjorn like. There isn't the range of position as there is with a sling. And I'm not certain about the ease of breast feeding.

I like the sling because of the range of positioning options for baby, i love the many different wys bby can lie and sit, and the ease of breast feeding. Though I'm unsure of the safety, they look like baby will just fall out! And I'm not sure on comfort for me as the wearer, and then I've heard stuff about how a babies spine should always be straight and rigid, which it wouldn't be in a sling

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, if you have any experience, or any alternate options please please share. The carrier is going to be one of my more important purchases so I want to get it right.

Bigwish
December 13th, 2012, 05:48 AM
If you buy a carrier be sure you'll buy a soft structured carrier. Baby Björns are not soft. You must be able to spread the hips of you're baby (after three months of age) in such a way that the knees are higher than or at least equal to the hips. Furthermore the bag must take his natural curve (which is absolutely impossible in a BB)

I have a manduca, but ergo carrier is also a good choice. You may also consider a mei tai or the Hoppediz Bondolino or Hop-tye.

The absolute most comfortable way of babycarrying for both of you will be in a wrap (i recommend a woven wrap afger three months). But it needs pratice to learn it. Search youtube for more information!

Good luck with making a decision.

Bigwish
December 13th, 2012, 05:50 AM
This is a Dutch side (also in englis) with a lot of info. i'm sure you can also ask here questions on which to buy!

BabyGirl4Me
December 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I had a maya wrap (sling style) for my baby for the first 4 months. I liked it but after a while it got too hard to carry my baby on one shoulder. After 4 months I switched to a mei-tai style carrier, which I really like but you have to do a lot of knots and ties for it. However, you can evenly carry the weight on your back and it's easier on your body. DH has a carrier we bought at Target on sale. It's made by Infantino and we use it a lot. It's adjustable so both of us can use it. It's called the Infantino Swift baby carrier and it's great! Honestly we probably get the most use out of that one, and you can have baby facing out or inward. My baby is fast approaching 1 year old and we're still using the carriers and loving them. :)

I hate strollers and I'm very petite so having a big bulky stroller is not for me. I love baby wearing when we're out and about. Good luck finding a carrier!

Cinss
December 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I have had a good read through the links you posted Lassie, i really think the best would be babasling. I will probably get one of them myself. :)

spinningmadly
December 14th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I had a Mei tai I loved dh used it for back carries a lot. I also like Becos and bobas. I have friends that love ergo but they didn't fit me great. I also have a woven wrap which I much prefer to a moby bc it doesn't get loose or saggy.

I agree with pp , babies knees should be higher than hips. And also baby should face inward to avoid over stimulation.

http://http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/tomjenvogel/396160_332208483477654_100000655149220_1135112_185 0003135_n.jpg

spinningmadly
December 14th, 2012, 12:08 AM
My link didn't work lol. Maybe this one will

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/tomjenvogel/396160_332208483477654_100000655149220_1135112_185 0003135_n.jpg

Bimby
December 14th, 2012, 02:59 AM
The babssling looks really good, the only thing Im worried about is if it will hurt your shoulders/back? Im looking into these now so thanks for asking about it :) I think I prefer the slings for breastfeeding purposes though

Cinss
December 14th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Actually now i am looking at ring slings, they seem to have better adjustability than the babasling. Anyone used a ring sling before?

plenty of vids on youtube

lollylegs
December 14th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Actually now i am looking at ring slings, they seem to have better adjustability than the babasling. Anyone used a ring sling before?

Loved our ring slings still using them for our DS aged 5 (piggy backs sometimes) and DS aged 2 (hip carry, front carry/semi cradle to sleep) BUT I have small babies (born 2kg and 2.6kg) .. my friend has much bigger kids (5kg plus) - she found RS less comfortable closer to one year.

They were AWESOME for BFg in.

I prefer the pleated shoulder so you can spread right across the shoulder and over the upper arm a bit like a capsleeve tshirt. This helps with preventing neck or shoulder pain.
Recommend a soft but strong material is best (we have hemp/silk which is heavenly - from sleeping baby.net).
My DH loved using it also.
Found it really good for older babe to do stuff (like prepare dinner) when too inquisitive to be happy facing inward, and too tired/whingy to be down on the floor.
It is also worth getting familiar with safe positioning in slings (generally) but specifically in Ring Slings - head/face position, not under clothing etc ... let me know if you want some websites / docs

Good luck!

Lassie1982
December 14th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Oooo exploring now :)

Lassie1982
December 14th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Thanks for all your feedback girls. Ideally I want to avoid having to buy 2 separate ones.
I do like the mai tei's but I'm just not a fan of having to tie myself, I don't know why, I know it's easily learned, but I just really prefer something that buckles or clips.
This isn't easy :(

I can see me spending ages agonising over this decision!

Mum23boys
December 14th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Can I nurse my child in the ERGObaby carrier? : Ergobaby Support (http://support.ergobaby.com/entries/21228446-can-i-nurse-my-child-in-the-ergobaby-carrier)

Can breastfeed in the ergo or so its says !! I prefer these types of carriers to the slings

Lassie1982
December 14th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I've just read a bunch of reviews on the babbasling, the reviews are very mixed, lots of bad ones about comfort and adjustability.

Now leaning more to ergo.....

Lassie1982
December 14th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Can I nurse my child in the ERGObaby carrier? : Ergobaby Support (http://support.ergobaby.com/entries/21228446-can-i-nurse-my-child-in-the-ergobaby-carrier)

Can breastfeed in the ergo or so its says !! I prefer these types of carriers to the slings

It won't let me view the video :( says its private

Pangea
December 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I tried an ergo with DS1 but it didn't fit me, none of the buckle carriers I tried would fit me, I'm too small. So I used mei tai's and wraps. I found wraps the best. Some people are put off them because they look complicated to tie, but I didn't find them difficult. I used stretchy wraps when they were tiny, and then woven wraps when they were bigger. I found the woven wraps so supportive.

The Anchor
December 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I got the Balboa Baby, recommended by Dr. Sears...and I loved it. I could never figure out those wraps, and you don't have to fashion this into a sling yourself. Just throw it around your neck. DS just loved it. I do NOT recommend those Baby Bjorns...every time I see I bub sleeping in one of those with their little heads flopped over to one side...

Bigwish
December 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM
but I'm just not a fan of having to tie myself, I don't know why
Then i think a Hoppediz Bondolino is somewhere in the middle between a real mei tai and a soft structured carrier with clips. I only know positive reviews of it!

I just really prefer something that buckles or clips.

If you really want clips you should look at a Manduca, Ergo Carrier, Patatum or Beco or some other soft structured carrier.
I really love my Manduca and it is easy to use!

Good luck!

Bigwish
December 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I know all the SSCs are suitable for BFg, but i never found it attractive to try. It was more easy without (have been feeding my kids for 16 and 25 months), but that's my opinion and preference

spinningmadly
December 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Lol I always nursed in my carriers , very convenient and easy, part of it has to do with body type and boob size etc and baby. I have friends it wasn't as easy for

Cinss
December 14th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I think im going to go with the sakura bloom ring sling, now i just have to find an AU supplier that has the pixie blue raspberry one :)

Shellbelle
December 14th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I have a Sakura Bloom and a Maya Wrap and love them both. I also have a Moby, which I don't like as much, and a Beco Gemini (which is lovely but I hardly ever used). With my older kids, I used New Native pouches, which IMO are nice but more difficult to learn to safely position a newborn in (and, for me, to nurse in).

I agree with the pp -- if you haven't used a ring sling before, it really helps to visit with someone who can help you position the sling and baby. There are also helpful videos, but I've found that most first timers are a lot more confident once they've had someone else check out their carry.

Cinss
December 14th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I think i have changed my mind and will get a Maya, they are slightly less expensive and come in great colours too.

and sorry for hyjacking Lassie, how are you going with your search?

spinningmadly
December 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM
What size are you cinss? Lol you can have mine if shelle doesn't want it

Wanting-a-girl
December 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
My friend loves her ergo and she loves her mai tai or however you spell that... Woven wraps are good ... I will be getting a ring sling

Lassie1982
December 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I think i have changed my mind and will get a Maya, they are slightly less expensive and come in great colours too.

and sorry for hyjacking Lassie, how are you going with your search?

Don't be silly, your not hijacking :) I'm loving all the comments and opinions

I'm so lost, my gut says babysling or ring sling, but my head says ergo.
I was pretty certain on the babysling till I read some bad reviews.

There is nothing that I dislike about the ergo, but its the upright only position that makes me hesitant.
I love the cradling positions you can get with a sling, and well as the Buddha type sitting positions.

I really wish there was some way I could try them properly. I know I can try in a shop, but a quick 5mins with a doll, or even a newborn isn't going to give me a feel for what it's like using regularly.

Slightly leaning ring sling / babysling.

Shellbelle
December 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I think you will read bad reviews for every type of carrier. My sister hated slings and was very vocal about it -- but she hated front carriers, too. She's a strictly stroller mama and that's what works best for her. I think that if you haven't used one, its hard to just get ONE style carrier -- it is hard to know which one you'll like until you really use them, and then you may find that love a sling or soft structured carrier but the baby may not, etc. Is there any way you can borrow one of each once the baby's here?

Lassie1982
December 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I wish I could shell! But none of my friends have carriers.
I don't think they are very popular here, least not where I am, I really don't see many at all, and the only ones I really see are baby Bjorn.

Bigwish
December 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Here in the Netherlands (and I know there are also in Germany and probably also somewhere else) your can hire a 'carrier-consultant'. It is like a sort of babyshower, with all kind of carriers and wraps you can try. Maybe you can search the net for these consultants and then organize a party at your home?