PDA

View Full Version : 12 weeks along and already fighting with DH over names, please help!

Jadis
December 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hi Ladies, I've got a very real sense that I'm carrying our 3rd son and I just know that he should be named "Leonard". He already feels like a wee Lenny to me and I love how it sounds with my other son's names: Owen, Simon and Lenny. Problem is that my DH doesn't like it and what ticks me off is that he brings no options to the table for discussion, he just sits back and vetoes all my favourite names. Have any of you had success selling your husband on a name he originally hated? Also, knowing that I love the name "Lenny", could you help me think of any other names with a similiar sound? I want it to end in a 'y'/'ee" sound. Thank you, all you lovely ladies!!

Mum23boys
December 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Sorry cant help but i like lenny too and hubby says no - we have an Owen Ellis and Liam and DH dad is a leonard as a middle name after his dad who was a leaonard so not sure why he is so against it - him and his dad are named james though which i refuse to use !!!

Tiggerian
December 13th, 2012, 10:50 AM
When we had DS1 he completely vetoed my favourite name, Noah. And DS1 ended up having the only name OH has ever brought to the table. Thankfully I did quite like it, but it wasn't my favourite so I wasn't overly thrilled. DS1 is called Tristan Alexander.

When we found out we were having another boy I said I wanted Noah and OH rolled his eyes and made every "Noah and the Ark" joke under the sun. But he came with nothing himself - so in the end I said "Well he's Noah until YOU can find something better". Of course he never did and a week before Noah was born he turned around and said that "he quite liked Noah actually!". We did have a back up name, but it never came into play - we just agreed as soon as DS2 was out that he was our little Noah Theodore :fami03:

cvd
December 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I liked the name Aubree as soon as I heard it and I always told DH the next baby is a girl named Aubree. I like the sound together, Ryder & Aubree, it goes with our last name, and both aren't common around our area. At first he was like hm NO, he thought it was weird? But I just kept on saying it and talking about baby girl Aubree, so as soon as we got pregnant - I said "Baby Aubree?" and he was like "YES! I love it now that we have talked about it for 7 months" Haha! PERSISTANCE IS KEY! :)

Mrs_P
December 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
We couldn't find a name for ds3, ds1 came up with Toby, i hated it reminded me of one of those little yappy westie dogs, not for a little boy, but as we couldn't come up with anything better we went with it. Grew on me and i couldn't see him being anything else now. Names do grow on you, keep on at him x

LacePrincess
December 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
What about Danny? That's a cute name.

My most important criteria was that their full names had to sound like it could one day belong on a doctorate, and not on the evening news, lol. So it had to be a dignified name but not too stodgy. And none that could have a bad childhood nickname ie. Richard as 'Dick'.

But all my kids look very Asian so that limited us a bit, as I couldn't use any names that were distinctly Irish that I liked. The only name that DH completely veto'ed was Matthew as I used to have an ex named Matt, lol.

Funny story, my eldest is named Tristan. Everyone asks if I named him after Tristan und Isolde.....I actually named him after the hero in a romance novel that I'm very fond of. :oops:

Jadis
December 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys! Seems like persistence is the way to go...I'll be unrelenting :) @LacePrincess, I think I'd like the name 'Danny' but I don't have a great association with it. Funny how one person can ruin a name, eh?

Cinss
December 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM
How about Riely? I loved Cullen for a boy, but DP hated it there was no convincing him, because he knew there was a connection to the twilight stories. He said he wanted Si but that didnt sit well with me so i suggested Cyrus and Cy for short, we agreed and shook on it, so i guess we both named our son.

lovemy4
December 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM
We each made lists of names and then exchanged them. We then put stars by the ones that we thought were okay on one another's lists. In the end, we both had to compromise a bit but I suppose that's the way it goes. There are some lovely boy names that end with the ee sound, though, so maybe make a list of them?

Riley
Bailey
Artie (Arthur)
Finley
Kiley
Davey (David)
Brady
Pacey

I have to agree that names ending in the ee sound are very sweet for little ones :)

Boymomsrock
December 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I have a Brody and i think it's a strong name without sounding weird. My other boys names don't end in the E sound. My late dh loved the name Brody and it wasn't my favorite but it grew on me throughout the twin pregnancy and we knew which one Brody would be before they were born!

Jadis
December 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I've jotted down a few of your suggestions, will bounce them off DH tonight. I figure he should bring a few options to the table too, though. He's always shooting down my suggestions but not coming up with a darn thing! :rolleyes:

hotdogz&boyz
December 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
^^This is how my DH is. With our first we did the same thing as lovemy4 suggested. We made lists, starred the winners...but in the end we had ONE name on both lists...my older sons name. With our second boy, I was in love with the name "K" (it's a real name, I only use initials online) and DH wasn't a fan. But I kept mentioning it casually through the first 16 weeks and when we found out he was a boy, DH agreed he liked it. And I was pulling the same thing with our boy name this time. I kept mentioning it. DH didn't love it, but I think he would have agreed if this was another boy. But he chose the girl name and I love it, so our talk was easier than planned :)

spinningmadly
December 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
With our first I wanted to name him Logan and Dh didn't love it. Well after months of ms and me just saying Logan he agreed and said he liked it. Of course by that time I was 8 months pregnant and hormonal and said no I don't want it now. But we still named him Logan :) same thing happened with ds2 (Landon)