PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody relate?

cvd
December 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Do any of you ladies HATE the attention of your belly???

I am officially getting the comments like "Oh look at your belly, it's cute and growing so quick".
My winter jacket is about to stop doing up shortly. I understand they are only trying to give a compliment and most people comment right away with good intentions but I literally can't STAND belly comments, I don't even think there is a word for how much I dislike them. I felt like this with my first pregnancy (luckily I didn't show till later on) but this time I am showing so early and already DREADING going out and seeing people because I know they'll say something. I thought this pregnancy would be better but it's definitely not, if anything it's WORSE. I feel terrible, I know they mean well, I smile and say thanks but really - I want to punch them LOL! Oh the hormones.
Most people love this time and the attention, where as I would rather avoid people, does anyone else feel like this? I feel like the grinch of pregnancy. :(

Atsaukina1
December 14th, 2012, 05:55 PM
sorry i love belly comments and all prego talk but i have no friends here so talking to anyone is nice:) why do you think you dislike it so much?

Cinss
December 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I dont mind comments and talking about my belly, but i cant stand when people want to touch it! I am not a touchy feely person and it makes me extreemly uncomfortable having anyone other than my DD or DP or Doctor touch my belly. I actually find it to be quite rude and i have never done it to anyone, my BFF used to put my hand on her pregnant belly when she thought id be able to feel it kicking and that was uncomfortable for me too. I just feel like being pregnant is so personal and i think it is instinct to protect the belly so when people go to touch it, it just sends off all kinds of weird emotions for me, and its really hard to avoid it without seeming rude.

cvd
December 14th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I honestly have no idea why I don't like it! I am super happy about being pregnant, and love talking about the baby and how I'm feeling etc. But when people comment on my belly - I want to snap. I thought maybe with DS because he was a surprise and DH & I weren't really prepared for a baby at that point that maybe I didn't like the weight gain and growing??? But this time I am totally into it, was obviously expecting it and I STILL hate them! Not to mention I am an only child, and at 23 I have YET to grow out of my spoiled child ways, so I usually LOVE all the attention. Lol it's very stange. I wish there was an explanation!

Cinss - TOTALLY agree. If anything makes me more mad then belly comments, it's the touching. DH touches my belly of course, DS is too little to understand but other people NOO WAY. And when they ask, I feel so rude saying no, I usually just tell them I'm not feeling well lol!
I was really hoping to love this pregnancy, and get that "glow" everyone talks about haha but it just doesn't seem to be going that way for me for now :(

EmmyRoo
December 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I think it's a psychological thing. As women we can't help but feel weight gain is "bad", even though we know it's good to gain weight in pregnancy and it's what we want, we can't quite enjoy seeing ourselves get fatter. I felt so self conscious losing weight on LE and having people comment precisely because I knew I'd be gaining it all and more and I didn't want to draw attention to that weight gain. As it is I'm still lighter than I've ever been as an adult but I've done nothing but eat since I got my BFP last week and I've gained 5lbs!! :holysheep: I seriously hope some of that is water etc but when I look in the mirror I just see a flabby tummy and tree trunk thighs, whereas last week when I was on LE and knew I wasn't gaining, I loved how thin I looked. It's a hard thing to try to change your mindset to feel someone effectively saying "wow aren't you getting fat quickly!" as a compliment!

As for the tummy-touching thing, I remember with DS1 a colleague went to touch my bump and I almost pulled away in shock! Afterwards I realised it was cos it's really quite an intimate thing to do. You'd never touch a friend's tummy normally, let alone a colleague's or stranger's, and yet when you're pregnant people seem to think it's ok! It's right between two of your most private places, your boobs and lady parts for heaven's sake! :bigsmile: Maybe you should get one of those "hands off the bump" t-shirts?

X

cvd
December 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I think it's a psychological thing. As women we can't help but feel weight gain is "bad", even though we know it's good to gain weight in pregnancy and it's what we want, we can't quite enjoy seeing ourselves get fatter. I felt so self conscious losing weight on LE and having people comment precisely because I knew I'd be gaining it all and more and I didn't want to draw attention to that weight gain. As it is I'm still lighter than I've ever been as an adult but I've done nothing but eat since I got my BFP last week and I've gained 5lbs!! :holysheep: I seriously hope some of that is water etc but when I look in the mirror I just see a flabby tummy and tree trunk thighs, whereas last week when I was on LE and knew I wasn't gaining, I loved how thin I looked. It's a hard thing to try to change your mindset to feel someone effectively saying "wow aren't you getting fat quickly!" as a compliment!

As for the tummy-touching thing, I remember with DS1 a colleague went to touch my bump and I almost pulled away in shock! Afterwards I realised it was cos it's really quite an intimate thing to do. You'd never touch a friend's tummy normally, let alone a colleague's or stranger's, and yet when you're pregnant people seem to think it's ok! It's right between two of your most private places, your boobs and lady parts for heaven's sake! :bigsmile: Maybe you should get one of those "hands off the bump" t-shirts?

X
I think you're probably right! Although I was prepared and fully aware this pregnancy was coming, maybe deep down I'm feeling negatively about the weight gain and that's why I hate the comments??? Either way lol it's terrible feeling like I hate going out because I want to avoid comments already, I'm only 16 weeks as of tomorrow!!!! I have a long way to go :) Let's hope it gets better hehe! :)

Atsaukina1
December 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM
yes if you have issues with weight gain def. being prego might bring about neg. feelings.
I love being prego and showing off all my my prego curves that I would never normally show off:) why I like being prego in summer:) otherwise your covering up all that goodness. I feel it's the one time we are "allowed" to be fat and actually look "good":) I do agree with you ladies on he touching though, if you are not my close friend or family you better be hands off, that is just weird but what is even worse.........when strangers try to touch your baby!! really what are they thinking lol

spinningmadly
December 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Maybe try to think that the belly means baby is growing?
I know I never have a huge belly til late with ds1 and ds2 and with dd it was very small but that was my first sign she wasn't growing. I used to like it. (I also used to have an eating disorder when a teenager) however this time I am showing way more than with any other child and LOVING it because it's not like last time and this baby is growing well.

cvd
December 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I've never had a weight problem lol I am petite but just normal, not super skinny/chubby, never watched what I ate or anything, never been ashamed or self conscious! So I'm not sure if that's it then that makes me hate the comments. Maybe it's just more when they comment on the growing belly its like... Thanks captain obvious! Hahah

cvd
December 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
And I lost my pregnancy weight pretty quick last time so I'm really not concerned! Who knows! I must just be a grump lol

spinningmadly
December 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Haha who knows? I dont get that many comments about my belly except from
Ds1 ! Lol

cvd
December 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
LOL! I must be just a Prego grump :) most are from friends who don't have kiddies haha! Aww I wish DS understood! I'd love to explain that there's a baby in tummy!!! I'm sure the comments give you a good chuckle lol

spinningmadly
December 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Haha! Maybe that's why bc they haven't had bellies yet. Most of my friends are also in the same stage of life so If they don't have a belly now , they recently did or are trying to!
Lol this morning as I was getting dressed he looked at me and said "mommy your belly is FAT!"

cvd
December 17th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Haha! Maybe that's why bc they haven't had bellies yet. Most of my friends are also in the same stage of life so If they don't have a belly now , they recently did or are trying to!
Lol this morning as I was getting dressed he looked at me and said "mommy your belly is FAT!"
Haha oh this made me smile :) kids say the darndest things! ;)
Does your 1 1/2 yo understand? My little guy is the same age!

weeziewoozles
December 18th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I think it's to do with the fact that people want to sort of join in so they end up evaluating you physically, which is something we just don't normally do. It seems odd to have colleagues commenting on your body because it is! I had a neat bump for my whole first pregnancy and endured months of "you're small aren't you?" - like that's reassuring!