PDA

View Full Version : Good, Bad and some rather shocking news from me today.

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I went for an early scan 7+1 becaus eof my previous miscarriage and just because of my anxiety over xmas being in threat of escalating so the midwife refered me to the early pregnancy unit.

The shock - 2 sacs
the good - 1 healthy heart beat
the bad - no 2nd heart beat

I didnt ask questions as was too confused by the whole thing but 1 sac was huge compared to the other. The big sac had the non beating baby in it and the small sac had the baby with a heart beat - not sure what this means.

She has booked me in for jan 4th for another scan which means i need to go all over xmas not knowing anything more than i do now.
She said it will go 1 of 2 ways either its too early to see another heart beat and in 2 weeks we will see it OR in 2 weeks we will just see the 1 ( or possible non) and all I can do is wait ,,,,,,

So thats my news. Not sure how i feel - I feel pretty numb to be honest - hubby doesnt seem bothered he said you cant get upset about a loss at this stage ( he is your typical unattached male until the baby is here !!! ) he really wouldnt bat an eyelid at a miscarriage before like 15-20 weeks where as even early losses upset me so im finding his response quite tough to take so may be on here alot for support in the next few weeks.

Has anyone had similar and everything turned out ok ?

odd
December 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
OH WOW!! that is a lot to take..While I don't have any words to help you, I do want to say congratulations and that hope all turns out well for you!!

OneLastDream
December 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I don't have any advice. It's brilliant you can see a heartbeAt. Am hoping the other will appear soon. Can you go back Monday? I have been scanned on Xmas eve and New Year's Eve before so know they can do it. They normally leave a week in between. Can you speak with your midwife and get her to re arrange the scan? Days can make a difference at this early stage. Did they send you for bloods to tests levels? I hope you are ok but you don't want to be fretting all over Xmas xxxx

The Anchor
December 18th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Holy crap! I know what you mean about DH, mine is almost completely removed until birth :) What did doc say?

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Doc didnt say anything it was just a tech did the scan then sent me home i didnt see anyone and havent booked in yet so dont have any notes though i know she printed photos cos i saw them coming off. it was the tech who told me to come back in 2-3 weeks. Ive left a message for my midwife to see if she thinks a week will make a difference as id like to go back xmas eve to get another look with hubby in tow but i dont think she can influence the EPU as thats at a different hospital to where she is based and the hospital she is out only deals with women from 11 weeks so i may then be told to call the epu back and see what they say but i wouldnt know what to say to them if im honest. Without good reason they may not re scan without the techs say so ?

OneLastDream
December 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
When I fell down the stairs I spent hours in a and e and then saw lots of different people and epu said no they wouldn't scan - midwife called on the Monday and got me a scan in 5 mins of phoning them. They aren't based at that hospital either though. I had situation where I bled early in pregnancy - just a little and they scanned me Xmas eve - they saw two sacs two fetal poles but no heartbeats - I went back New Year's Eve for confirmation but I was further gone than you - I was just over 9 weeks and knew my dates - I think it's really good you saw a heartbeat - sounds really positive. There is still hope for a second to appear too. My recent miscarriage showed no fetal pole or heartbeat - blood tests weren't doubling in 3 days, next scan they saw fetal pole but no heartbeat. But again i was around 8 weeks so further along. That's why I think it's so so positive to see a heartbeat - have everything crossed for you and also that they can schedule scan sooner. The midwives know its not good for you to stress.

Hope I have helped here and not hindered x

EmmyRoo
December 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Goodness I can see how you are so confused. Surely they won't leave you hanging over Christmas? That's just cruel. Hopefully your midwife will be able to sort something sooner than 4th Jan. I really hope the second heartbeat was just hiding! X

weeziewoozles
December 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I'd call the midwife team lots until you can speak to one of them and talk it through and see if they can expedite another scan. You definitely need reassurance over Xmas. Or go to an antenatal day unit and speak to a midwife in person. You don't want to stress yourself - information is power!

cvd
December 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Congrats mum on the good news. I think it may just be too early. I will be crossing my fingers for you!!! Try not to stress, although easier said then done of course!

The Anchor
December 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Honestly, given your history of m/c, couldn't they get you in next week, for some assurance? That sounds like torture. Even though there's not much they can do to prevent anything, just a quick scan so you can sleep at night? Def talk to the midwife, maybe she's got some pull...

Pangea
December 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I have no advice but I am hoping that it is just too early. I often hear of people pregnant with twins that measure up to a week apart, they have just been developing at different rates. I hope this is the case for you.

I hope you manage to get a scan before Christmas to put your mind at ease.

Jadis
December 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Wow, Mrs. P, that is some shocking news indeed! I wish I knew what to say, I'm kind of at a loss. I hope it's simply to early to see the heartbeat, I'll be thinking of you when you go for your next scan. You know what they say, right? The squeeky wheel gets the oil..mabye you should be a bit pushy to get a scan next week. It'd be difficult to go through Christmas without knowing. Then again, it'd be difficult to go through Christmas with bad news. Ah, what a day you've had. Go have a hot cuppa tea and know that we're all thinking of you. Sorry that your DH doesn't get it.

Tiffani3
December 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Want to wish you luck. Fx for the second heartbeat hopefully it's just to early. Xx

aroundtheworld
December 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'm hoping the best for you, doll.

mama2LB
December 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Wow, as ladies have said, thats a lot to try and take in. Can they not do a blood test and see how your hgc levels increase? I hope you get some answers soon x

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
They dont do HCG Blood test levels here in the uk i dont think - ive never had it anyway - they pretty much leave you to your own devices until 12 weeks so even getting this early scan was a shock they must have been having a quiet day !!

mama2LB
December 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Ah, I'm in UK too, just assumed they would. Sorry x Keep focusing on the heartbeat that you saw xxx

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Thank u girls with my adjusted edd if i use ovulation date it makes me 6+5 / 6+6 so maybe it is still too early - i can but hope though im not sure that will get me through until Jan 4th

Shellbelle
December 18th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Thank u girls with my adjusted edd if i use ovulation date it makes me 6+5 / 6+6 so maybe it is still too early - i can but hope though im not sure that will get me through until Jan 4th

I was going to ask if your dates were going by LMP or measurements or what -- it really may be too early, and it can also depend on the equipment they're using. I hope that you can get another early scan to ease your mind and help get you through the holidays! And congrats!

serah
December 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I have responded to you on another thread but wanted to say that I really think that you should push your m/w given your history of previous m/c.
When I had bleeding I DID have HCG tests done, on the same day that I had my early scan. I am in London, UK.
The hosp wasnt very positive with their approach and I was also around 6+5. There was no HB at the time. They arranged for me to return about 5 days later for another scan+ repeat test. The scan this time showed a HB and my HCG levels had risen nicely.
Please please relay your concerns to your MW. I feel they are valid and somewhat unreasonable for the to keep you hanging around so long.
Fx for you either way.

Pearl327
December 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Wow mum23, twins.
I hope your babies are both ok when you get your next scan

NearlyDone
December 18th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Good luck hope you hve 2 strong healthy heartbeats next time

OneLastDream
December 18th, 2012, 04:38 PM
They dont do HCG Blood test levels here in the uk i dont think - ive never had it anyway - they pretty much leave you to your own devices until 12 weeks so even getting this early scan was a shock they must have been having a quiet day !!

I think they must have just started them as I had them in July at Medway hospital. Maybe ask your midwife about them - they don't sound that helpful - hope you get your mind put at rest soon

Mbmk
December 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Wow thats alot to take in!! Like the others have said the heartbeat is a fantastic sign - I know the chances of miscarriage reduce significantly once the heart begins to beat.

From a medical point of view - I would say that by 7 weeks the heart should be beating on both babies, so if you are sure of your dates I would think that the other sac could be a vanishing twin or possibly an early miscarriage.

Fingers crossed for you - I would also go into A&E if you are worried and they will most likley do a scan given your history xx

Violet_
December 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hope everything turns out okay for you mum. Yes, we all agree, that they should help you through this and let you have the tests that you need to give you the reassurance you need.

hopingforsaskia
December 18th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Oh wowzers! 2 sacs! That's amazing.... I'm crossing it all for you that the second one was just hiding, or a little small to see. Beat down their doors until someone sees you... :HH: Good luck xoxo

Atsaukina1
December 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I can understand waiting until Jan. becasue you want to give them time to grow. Sometimes these early scans are just heartbreaking because you find out something you might never have known,never worried or cried over. I hope in Jan they find 2 healthy neating hearts and you can laugh over the worry they caused you later. Pregnancy is soo soo stressful. I sent out xmas calendar w/ the news to mil and I am kickng myslef thinking "is it too soon?" as I never ever tell this early. Hugs for the worry. Glad your hubs is by your side even if he takes it all differently might just be his defense mechanism

Mum23boys
December 21st, 2012, 04:42 AM
I know its best to wait but i just couldnt so im booked in for a private scan on monday

Pangea
December 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
Good luck with the scan Mum23boys, I hope the news is good.

Pearl327
December 21st, 2012, 08:52 AM
Good luck with the scan on Monday. I hope you get a Christmas miracle :)

Mum23boys
December 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks Pearl I hope so too. Im trying to stay positive but I am fully prepared for bad news and i have promised that ill not let it ruin cristmas as thats for the babies i already have and i wont get this time back again - i just feel i need to know but i also know that 6 days might not make that much difference and she may agree that waiting another 2 weeks is my best option in which case ill feel happier doing it having had 2 people suggest it. My thinking on the NHS saying come back on Jan 4th is not to give bubs a chance to develop but because from 24th dec - jan 2nd they are on bank staff and so dont book apointments where as jan 2nd they are probably back up to full staff.

Justjessica
December 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi mum. Good luck with Mon scan. I wouldn't worry too much about NHS staffing, I'm booked for an NHS one on 27th December and they said I could even have 24th if I wanted but I went for 27th and I could have had 28th if I'd wanted as well. So maybe they think it will be more accurate for you later so you get better info. But I know if I were in your shoes I'd want the earliest scan I could get. Hope it goes well for you.

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 05:36 AM
thanks justjessica im off for my private scan in about half hour as appointment in an hour an its a half hour drive.... ill let you know how it goes and also i have my NHS scan on the 4th jan too so long as no major changes today that warrant it being cancelled

nuthinbutpink
December 24th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Good luck. Write down your questions so you don't forget! Hope you see some great news!

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Right guys on my wAy back and Like sunflower the baby's have done a flip over. The big sac with fetid but no heartbeat has now grown and developed to 13.8 mm foetus with a lovely heartbeat making me 7+5 1 day over my date by ovulation so pretty accurate while the s that was in the small sac that has a hb now has no hb and only measures 3.6mm so by next scan will probably have gone.

Atsaukina1
December 24th, 2012, 08:06 AM
how do you feel about this news mum?

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Gutted but soooooo pleased we have 1 healthy baby. Hubby is chuffed as he was really worrying about twins. We only ever went into this wanting 1 more so i am thank full we are atleast getting that - I just bet my bottom dollar it was our dd we lost and we are having our 4th son but u know what after the events of the last week i really dont care right now am just keeping everything crossed he / she makes it through the next 4 weeks until the 12 week scan.

Jadis
December 24th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Mum, I can only imagine how conflicted you must feel right now. Celebrating the one healthy baby you've got on the way, mourning his/her twin who won't be joining you afterall. Congratulations and my sympathy all at once, I'm glad that you won't be leaving this journey empty-handed. Enjoy every single minute of Christmas, I think you got at least one truly amazing gift. I've been thinking of ya.

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Thank you Jadis thats really lovely of you.

aroundtheworld
December 25th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I am both happy and sad for you. A loss is heartbreaking, but new life is such a joy. I realize this must be so bittersweet. Bless you and I hope your baby remains healthy and strong.