PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have only 1 heartbeat at 1st scan for the 2nd to be ok and be there at a later scan ?

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Title says it all really im trying to hold on to any bit of hope that i can.

I had an early scan today - am by my dates 7+2 and nothing was said today to change this but she said she saw 2 sacs but only 1 heartbeat. She has asked me to go back in 2 weeks as it *may* and she stressed the word may just be too early to see the other - I on the other hand the way she was speaking think it wasnt too early and that infact baby 2 is not going to be viable when i go back.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar - I could understand at maybe 6 weeks but i thought at 7 weeks the heartbeat should definately be seen ?

nuthinbutpink
December 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Was it just a sac? Was there anything in it?

Boymomsrock
December 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I havent had that happen but wanted to send you hugs...

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yes hun 2 sacs and a fetus in each though she didnt give me any dates or anything no sizes etc she just said there was 1 heart beat but not on the other and she did have a good old look hence not being too hopefull.

nuthinbutpink
December 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Well, if there was something in the sac perhaps you ovulated a little later. I would have expected to see a HB but with twins, I'm not sure.

Mum23boys
December 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks hun i dont think i ovulated later as i charted and used fertility friend that marked it all out for me though if i go by ovulation day on the due date calculator it puts me 3 days behind so i would be 6+5 but surely thats still not too early to see a heartbeat and also does anyone have any idea why one sac would be much larger ?

nuthinbutpink
December 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
If the baby with the HB was measuring close to normal for dates, I'd assume that one is healthy. Twins can be all over the place in the beginning. Average is good. Average size, average heart rate, etc. It's the extremes that you cannot be certain of. Only another u/s will tell if they are progressing.

serah
December 18th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I know of someone on another forum his happened to. I think they actually dismissed the 2nd sac but by the next scan both babies were just fine.
Also - I had an early scan at 6+2 as i was spotting;..the hospital called it a foetal pole. There was no HB either. Went back a week later and everything was fine.

hotdogz&boyz
December 19th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I had something similar with DS2...but I don't think it will be the hopeful story you want to hear :( We did not have two sacs, which obviously makes it a bit different. But at 6+5 we saw one healthy baby with a healthy heartbeat and one baby who was measuring about the same, but had a harder-to-pinpoint heartbeat. They just couldn't get a good read on the baby and warned me that it might mean it wasn't as strong or developed...or was already in the stages if miscarrying. Since they were on totally different parts of the sac, they thought it might be the placement or that that area was more recessed in my body. But they did tell me it wasn't necessarily hopeful. And by our next scan two weeks later there was nothing but an excess of build-up where the second baby had been. But I have heard other stories that end happier. Often early scans can pick up twins when one has not developed or is not equal to its sibling. It's a hazard of seeing baby that early. But maybe yours will be that story where others can draw hope, where the second baby is just a bit slower and totally fine for your next scan!

Tulips
December 19th, 2012, 02:24 AM
My babies measure 1-2 days apart at each scan. If you are charting and you released 2 eggs they can release up to 48 hours apart, then if the second was slower to implant it could easily be 5 days behind. Go by your O date and that puts the second baby just on the HB cusp. Without measurements it's hard to tell but I wouldn't lose all hope yet. Good luck

Tulips
December 19th, 2012, 02:31 AM
My babies measure 1-2 days apart at each scan. If you are charting and you released 2 eggs they can release up to 48 hours apart, then if the second was slower to implant it could easily be 5 days behind. Go by your O date and that puts the second baby just on the HB cusp. Without measurements it's hard to tell but I wouldn't lose all hope yet. Good luck

fairyfrog
December 19th, 2012, 02:43 AM
If you Google it you can actually have fraternal twins conceived 5 days apart. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1177120/The-incredibly-rare-twins-conceived-week-apart.html)

Mum23boys
December 19th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks guys Im going to call the EPU today and see if they will give me any information from yesterdays scan - I dont think its stuff they cant tell me - its my information so surely they have to share it ? Ill let you know how i get on - i think they open at 9.30 am uk time its now 8am

Tulips
December 19th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Good luck :fx:

Violet_
December 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Hoping you find some answers that put all your fears at ease and you can have a great Christmas worry free.

Mum23boys
December 19th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Thank you Im still tempted to try and get seen xmas eve

weeziewoozles
December 19th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Thank you Im still tempted to try and get seen xmas eve
I would! x

Mum23boys
December 19th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Im looking at perhaps a private scan xmas eve - i still dont expect to see a 2nd heartbeat as it will still be too early but atleast if i am paying i will get photos and will get a report on their sizes etc and i can use this to compare against anything the hospital give me when i go back on the 4th jan ?

nuthinbutpink
December 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I don't think Xmas eve is too early. You will be nearly 8 weeks. Good luck and I would want to know too.

Mum23boys
December 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM
if i go by ovulation date i will be 7+4 if i go by LMP then i would be 8 weeks exactly but if bubs is only measuring 5 weeks maybe i implanted late ? I have my chart on FF but not sure what to look for - I know i ovulated 15th nov according to their chart - i got my smiley on the 14th

Tulips
December 19th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I would get the scan on xmas eve, it will give you more info and the grow fast at this stage. I wouldn't be able to relax waiting till Jan 4th.

Mum23boys
December 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys should i go private and pay £100 or should i try and get seen at the local NHS early pregnancy unit that did the last scan ? might mean a few fibbs being told

rainbowflower
December 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I'd go private personally.. I always feel guilty about lying to them and potentially using a scan slot someone else might need more. Plus, being the NHS, even if you had bleeding or something I wouldn't be surprised if they say they've already offered you a repeat scan and make you wait

Wanting-a-girl
December 19th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I would tell a few fibs lol I did with my third little guy at 17 weeks cause I couldn't bare waiting any longer to know the sex

Mum23boys
December 19th, 2012, 04:26 PM
well hubby wont let me have the private scan after discussing it with him he thinks its a waste of money and he would rather wiat until january - i keep flitting between being ok to wait and wanting to see them again so going to see how i go at the weekend and might call the EPU on Monday - im sure if they cant see me they wont

Tulips
December 20th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I would try and get in if the anxiety is really getting at you, I think they underestimate anxiety as a reason for scanning. I had one a 5wks 6days, one at 7wks 6 days, one at 9 wks 6 days and one at 12wks 3days, my next one is on the 24th. I have had bleeding though and am rH- so they wanted to see if they could tell where the bleeding was from.

Mum23boys
December 20th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Im RH+ too and so i hope i dont start spotting though ive heard it can be quite common in multiple pregnancies. Glad everythign is ok with you.
Hubby is still refusing pointblank to have the scan so much so we nearly had a row this morning as i accused him of not letting me make my own decisions - of always being the one saying what we do .... we have never found out any of the sexes because he never wanted too where as last time I wanted to know but went along with not knowing for him...... I think im going to say i want to go - im not going to argue but im not going to go behind his back either and he can either come with me or ill ask my mum. Just hope it doesnt cause an argument as im so worn out right now - ive not slept for the last 3 nights

Rainbow baby
December 20th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Here is another point of view. It is right before Christmas... What if every thing is fine right happy Christmas's right. What if it is not, it is not enough time for you to deal with it and enjoy your Christmas with family and friends. You might want to know but what if you get told what you don't want to hear? For me, if your not bleeding their is no need to put yourself trough a long wait in A & E or whatever you guys call it, and have to deal with that extra stress probably to be given more blood work and sent home again because they wanted to give baby's time to progress. If they see nothing again you will be in the waiting boat again. You have things to organise for Christmas, you need to sleep and take care of yourself, not adding extra stress's that can potentially upset things! If you go in saying your bleeding they will probably stick you with an Anti D shot when you don't need it, them things carry a risk every time you get them. I have them too. That's just my point of view!

Mum23boys
December 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I wasnt going to say i ws bleeding hun and am hppy to pay to go private and yes i might hear bad news im perfectly prepared for that id rather know and get on with xmas than not know especially as we have to tell some family on xmas day as they are staying for a week over xmas and will know something is up when im sick and tired and not drinking

fairyfrog
December 20th, 2012, 06:19 AM
The peace of mind would be worth the scan to me. Being in a state of not knowing is the worst. Anxiety isn't good for anyone, not you or the babies.

Mum23boys
December 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hubby just text me and said after seeing me upset this morning if i want to go for the private scan he wont stop me :-) YAY YAY YAY so im booked in for xmas eve 11.30am - i know it could bring bad news but atleast i will know and will have had a second opinion and can deal with what i hear on move on not be anxious one way or another over xmas

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Yay! I hope you see two beautiful heartbeats

Mum23boys
December 20th, 2012, 08:28 AM
me too but if i dont i still have my scan jan 4th by which time i should definately see it and if not then we know it wasnt meant to be. I just hope the twin with the heartbeat keeps fighting too and we dont loose them both.

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I read a lot of stats about vanishing twin syndrome and I personally know two people who went for early scans and saw two and later just one... I read that the majority of pregnancies start out as twins! That is crazy! I do hope for the best for you 2 girls ;)

Petal
December 20th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Good luck hun, hoping you see 2 beautiful heart beats x

Rainbow baby
December 20th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Hoping you have two little blips on the screen <3 Best of luck!

Mum23boys
December 20th, 2012, 09:30 AM
So long as we come out of it with 1 i dont mind too much - i read about vanishing twin syndrome too so have not allowed myself to get too excited about the prospect of twins yet - that will come in feb at the 12 week scan if they are both still there but i also know there are much higher risks with twins so ill probably be nervous the whole pregnancy

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Ya I don't think you can avoid the nerves I'm always a nervous wreck when I'm pregnant lol... So monday is ur u/s?

Mum23boys
December 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Monday is the private one - ill be 8 weeks by lmp or 7+4 by ovulation but if one baby was only measuring 5 weeks on tuesday it will only be 6 weeks by next week so if the other baby is smaller still we still wont see the heartbeat but i am keeping everything crossed. If not then i have another scan at the NHS hospital on Jan 4th and see what that brings...... then scanned again for the normal what should have been 12 week scan on jan 22nd though i think we will have to put that back a bit to feb time if the dates on the scan show the babies are further behind ? No idea but im just so excited to be getting to see them again incase they do dissapear and atleast this way i have my own report and photos that i take away and can share with you all as the hospital didnt give me any :-(

fairyfrog
December 21st, 2012, 06:09 AM
Fantastic! That is just what I would have done. I am so glad your DH gave the okay. It always makes the whole process happier. I would rather know what I am dealing with instead of the constant back and forth. I am so happy for you. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you hear very positive news. What an awesome Christmas Eve present.

glory
December 21st, 2012, 08:16 AM
Sparky in the HT forum is pregnant with identical twins and they totally missed the other baby on her first scan. I remember asking her where she was going to go for her first scan (as we live close to each other) and she said just the local one, they just need to check HB, well she then realised that maybe going to a better place is better. Not all sonographers are the same. I think it is a really good sign that she was able to see something in the second sac and that hopefully she just wasn't as good at getting the HB.

Good luck on Monday, I have my anatomy scan then also :)

Mum23boys
December 22nd, 2012, 06:42 AM
Good luck on monday Glory. xxx

nuthinbutpink
December 22nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
The babies will either eventually catch up to the dates they are supposed to be or they will just not make it. Early measurement are often wrong but approaching 12 weeks, they shall either measure and thrive or not. There cannot be a scenario that one is weeks behind the other. I think the next scan will clear things up for you.

Mum23boys
December 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Oooooo now I'm worried :-(

nuthinbutpink
December 22nd, 2012, 10:27 AM
Oooooo now I'm worried :-(

Obviously, we all hope for the best for you but in HT, we have lots of early ultrasounds happening. Usually, they are scheduled for 6 weeks because tgat is when you *should* see a heartbeat. Of course, there are instances where one doesn't but within one week, you really should and we *know* our dates to be fact with HT. So, by the time you are 7 weeks, if in fact you are 7 weeks, there should be a heartbeat with a baby that measures close to dates.

I just want to help you understand what is going on because reading your posts, it doesn't sound like you've been given a lot of information. The correct dates are obviously critical at this point in time but being off by weeks is not a viable situation.

Mum23boys
December 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Ok so being told baby with a HB was only measuring 5 weeks when i know going on date of ovulation I was 6+5 is not a good sign ?

glory
December 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Did she give you a heartbeat rate? If it was in the good range, then I would not worry about the one with a heartbeat. (this is usually above 100 or 110)

I read she didn't give you any measurements? Without this you can only guess what is going on. If they both measured similar sizes, then you could hope that it was just a missed measurement.

If one is significantly smaller than the other, then the chances of this growing and becoming a baby are less likely.

To me it sounds like the sonographer was not very good, I think they should be very upfront with what is going on and she wasn't. I know it is hard, but I would try relax until Monday and go from there.

If baby was measuring 5 weeks but you thought 6.5, then maybe ovulation was later than you thought? Or implantation was late? But no if you are definately 6.5 and it measured 5 weeks, then this is not a good sign (But like NBP said, with HT we know exact dates, natural conception can vary.

Good luck!

sugarNspice
December 23rd, 2012, 01:15 AM
I am :fx: and :pray: that at least one (and hopefully both) of your beans is okay.

In my experience (and I really hate to say this) measuring behind for dates this early is a bad sign, though this depends very much on how sure of your dates you are... But there are *tons* of stories (just google it) where situations like yours have turned into healthy babies and normal pregnancies. I'm cautious but hopeful for you, and so very very much hoping to hear good news.

Mum23boys
December 23rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks ladies IU know your only being honest with me but im kind of scared now - i was trying to live in my own little bubble that things will be ok. This is my chart ..... I cant tell when i implanted but can clearly see when i ovulated so i guess my dates could be a little out going on ovulation not implanting ? I just pray tomorrow that we see atleast 1 heartbeat as i would so hate to come out of this with nothing and to have lost 3 babies in 3 months.

nuthinbutpink
December 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Good luck! I hope all is well and the tech was just way off!

Sunflower3
December 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Keeping you in my prayers Mum!!!

sugarNspice
December 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Did you get a BFP at 8 DPO? In that case, it's not likely that you ovulated later than you thought, and the bean certainly wouldn't have implanted late, for you need implantation to have occurred in order to produce enough hcg to test positive. An early BFP like this is pretty good evidence that your dates are not off.

still :pray: for your beans.

Inky
December 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I went at 5 weeks 4 days. 2 sacs, 1 baby. at 5 weeks 6 days I went back. 2 sacs, 1 baby, 1 heartbeat. Second sac was smaller this time (only 2 days later). They told me I was losing one (but in my case, they didn't see a baby in the other one, sooo...) I hope both your babies will be okay! I have been holding onto hope that my next ultrasound will show 2 healthy babies. I can't seem to let go. It's really hard to lose a twin, and I hope you don't have to go through that.

Mum23boys
December 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Yes Hun bfp nice and clear at 8dpo do my dates must be pretty accurate which is why I was so worried that bub was measuring a week and 5 days behind I hope it was just the tech that was off. I'll keep u all updated tomorrow. Right night I feel terrible and still sick 24-7 so I think this must be a good sign

sugarNspice
December 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
With my early m/c that were measuring behind for dates, I was not sick at all (and so I knew, or at least was pretty sure, that it was not going to be viable). I think the fact that you are sick is a very positive sign!

And if it were me, I'd definitely do as you are doing and go in for another scan--if it is indeed going to be a loss, I'd rather know than not know, because I feel like the earlier I find out, the easier it is to deal with. Besides, as someone mentioned earlier, it does sound like your tech wasn't all that careful... I'd think they would have told you the exact measurements for both, as well as the heart rate.

Anyway, I keep hoping and praying that your babies will grow and thrive, and also that you will have some more certainty soon. At this stage, you can't know for sure what the outcome will be, and living with that uncertainty can be really tough.

Cinss
December 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Goodluck for your scan!

glory
December 24th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Good luck today xo

rainbowflower
December 24th, 2012, 03:29 AM
good luck for today, thinking of you
what time is your scan?

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks ladies im a bag of nerves been up hours ( its only 8.45am here ) and my scan is at 11.30am.

I got a good nights sleep last night and have no MS this morning which ive had the last 2 weeks and so im now owrrying that all my symptoms have gone - madness !!! I know its just the worry and nerves.

My mum and husband are coming with me so im sure i can stay strong for them until i get home if it isnt good news and i keep telling myself that although we want babies to be ok we did only going into this trying for one so hopefully we still get our dream one way or another ........

I should be home between 12-1pm (about 3-4 hours from now) so i will post any news as soon as i can along with any photos that i get.

Thank you again for your support especially as some of you are also going through tough times. It means alot.

Christine
xxxx

Tiffani3
December 24th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Good luck xx

rainbowflower
December 24th, 2012, 04:02 AM
not long now then, keep busy xx

Rainbow baby
December 24th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Good luck!!! Hope you get good news!!

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Well we still have 1 heartbeat just not the one it was before !!

nuthinbutpink
December 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM
That's wonderful you have a healthy baby in there! Merry Christmas!

Mum23boys
December 24th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Thank you hunny. The babies have swapped over - the one in the big sac that didnt have a HB is now a healthy 13.8mm fetus with good heartbeat measuring 1 day over my ovulation dates at 7+5 and the other one that was measuring 5 weeks with a HB now has no HB and only measures 3.6mm so by our 12 week scan will probably be gone completely.
I feel glad that we have atleast come of of this with 1 :-)

Tulips
December 28th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I'm glad you have 1 healthy baby, just on the placenta thing, my babies have placentas on opposite sides and it looks pretty certain they are both boys so it does not mean you neccessarily lost a girl baby :LotsofLove: