PDA

View Full Version : Early Gender Scan? To pay or not to pay...that is the question

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Ok, ladies. The suspense is driving me crazy, waiting another 7 weeks for my 20 week scan sounds like torture. I swore I wouldn't obsess during my 12 week scan but I caught a glimpse of the nub and thought "oh my gosh, that might be girly." Then I asked the tech where my placenta was and she said "anterior left side". I realize that Ramzi's theory can only be applied between 6-8 weeks gestation but I can't help but gather hope from having a left-sided placenta. Until my 12 week scan, I'd been functioning from the assumption that this is a boy and I'll need to be ok with that. Now that I've allowed myself a smidge of hope, I feel like I'm in a tailspin and need to be put out of my misery. I've tried to explain to my DH but he doesnt' get it. He says there's no point in crossing the border to another country (USA) to pay for a scan we're going to get for free a few weeks later. Why can't I just be patient?, he asks. He says that getting the early scan won't change the outcome, he thinks I should just relax and enjoy my pregnancy. But I'm not enjoying the suspense, it was better before I thought I saw things on my last scan. I allmost wish I hadn't looked, then I'd still be blissfully ignorant. The other reason I'd like to know early, is that when I hit the 18 week mark, people will start asking when my scan is. I'd like to have a couple of weeks to wrap my head around the result before people start pestering me about my gender scan. What do you guys think? DH says if it's important to me, he'll go along with it. What do you guys think? Should I just relax and leave well enough alone? Or should I end the tortuous wait and pay for the scan? Are they even reliable at, say, 15 weeks?

Help!

cvd
December 20th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Tough decision eh! I had a scan booked for around 15 weeks and decided to cancel. First reason being if was a bit if a drive for me. Secondly, I started wondering you know what if they say girl and I get my hopes up only to hear the opposite at 20. I started to second guess knowing so early. So I cancelled! Some days I wish I had still gone for that scan but others I'm glad I'm waiting till I feel totally comfortable with knowing its a 100% fact. I'm not sure the reliability rates at 15 weeks but I knew I'd just be doubting the whole time anyway so wasn't quite worth the drive/money for me!!!!

cvd
December 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ps! I know we're both from the same region in ON. Where did you find that would do the 15 week scan??? Only place I could find was Niagara Falls! Being east of the GTA it was a little road trip hehe. You'd cross to the states??

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Really? I'm in Ontario also and with my third I was going to pay for a gender scan and there was a place in Toronto area that would do it... And the uc baby by my house was going to do it a 15 weeks cause I called and they booked the apt which I later cancelled

cvd
December 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Really? I'm in Ontario also and with my third I was going to pay for a gender scan and there was a place in Toronto area that would do it... And the uc baby by my house was going to do it a 15 weeks cause I called and they booked the apt which I later cancelled

Since the CBC report on early gender ultrasounds in June, no where in Toronto will take you before 19-20 weeks. I called every single place possible in the GTA.

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I found a website for a place in Tonawanda, NY called "Baby's Bungalow". The tech there states that she has 15 years of experience and claims a 100% accuracy rate in early gender determination. It's very tempting to just go and get this over with. I know what you mean though, you make a very good point. What if she says 'girl' at 15 weeks and I'm ecstatic only to hear boy at the regular 20 week anatomy scan....eeeeek. I don't know what to do, CVD! I'm so torn :(

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
That happend to my cousin just opposite way around she was told boy early and it was a girl

cvd
December 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I found a website for a place in Tonawanda, NY called "Baby's Bungalow". The tech there states that she has 15 years of experience and claims a 100% accuracy rate in early gender determination. It's very tempting to just go and get this over with. I know what you mean though, you make a very good point. What if she says 'girl' at 15 weeks and I'm ecstatic only to hear boy at the regular 20 week anatomy scan....eeeeek. I don't know what to do, CVD! I'm so torn :(

Is that far for you?? Her accuracy rate sounds promising lol with that kinda info I'd be tempted for sure! We're also paying for our scan at 18.5 weeks because our hospital scan has 60% success rate here. TERRIBLE. The guy shouldn't guess if he doesn't know. So DH didn't like paying for 2 scans in 4 weeks! Eek. I dunno what to say. The 100% success is very appealing. If I lived closer and was 15 weeks I'd prob do it to be honest hehehe

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Would you guys let the left-sided placenta give you any hope, or would you dismiss it? I can't find anything definitive to read! I wish I could find Ramzi's phone #, I swear to God I'd call him right now. It's only the placenta thing that's driving me to the brink of insanity.

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Is that far for you?? Her accuracy rate sounds promising lol with that kinda info I'd be tempted for sure! We're also paying for our scan at 18.5 weeks because our hospital scan has 60% success rate here. TERRIBLE. The guy shouldn't guess if he doesn't know. So DH didn't like paying for 2 scans in 4 weeks! Eek. I dunno what to say. The 100% success is very appealing. If I lived closer and was 15 weeks I'd prob do it to be honest hehehe

No, it's not too far. Only about an hour but crossing the border is always a headache, eh?

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Since the CBC report on early gender ultrasounds in June, no where in Toronto will take you before 19-20 weeks. I called every single place possible in the GTA.

O I C I guess that was three years ago when I was making that appt.... Geez time flies

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Whereabouts in Ontario are you, Wanting?

cvd
December 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Would you guys let the left-sided placenta give you any hope, or would you dismiss it? I can't find anything definitive to read! I wish I could find Ramzi's phone #, I swear to God I'd call him right now. It's only the placenta thing that's driving me to the brink of insanity.

I don't know much about Ramzi! I was told mine was on left and egg implanted left but I hear not too put much stock in it? So I'm not sure at all! And only an hour? I'd probably go for it personally. Hopefully some other ladies can give more info! It takes me an hour just to get to Toronto lol and we were planning to go to Niagara Falls. Hopefully they'll be quick at the border for you! When would you be 15 weeks??

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Well, I'm 13+3 now...the tech says she'll render guesses beginning at 13 weeks but I don't feel comfortable with anything under 15 weeks. I'm still unsure, I feel like I'll be disappointing my DH if I drag him to Buffalo with me. Blah!! I wish some ladies here who have had early gender scans would weigh in with their reviews and feedback about whether or not it was worth it for them. Thanks for letting me talk this out with you!

Pearl327
December 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I have my next appointment with my OB when I will be 14+4. I am going to ask doc if he can make an informed guess for me. But apart from that I will be waiting for the 20 week scan which will be the one that I will really trust. We may pay for a 4D scan later on to double check and introduce DD to her new bro or sis

Wanting-a-girl
December 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm in the Waterloo region

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I have my next appointment with my OB when I will be 14+4. I am going to ask doc if he can make an informed guess for me. But apart from that I will be waiting for the 20 week scan which will be the one that I will really trust. We may pay for a 4D scan later on to double check and introduce DD to her new bro or sis

Gosh, Pearl. That's so reasonable and sane, maybe I should take a page out of your book! Maybe I should just simmer down now.

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm in the Waterloo region

Ah, I love that area! I'm in the Hamilton area :)

Pearl327
December 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Gosh, Pearl. That's so reasonable and sane, maybe I should take a page out of your book! Maybe I should just simmer down now.

I like the way I am comming across here, the truth is I am dying to know too, but I know that I will doubt the result whatever I hear until the 20 week scan. For me the 3D/4D scan is not that much more expensive at a private clinic, so I would rather wait for one of them to see DD's face when she can see properly that there really is a baby in my belly. ( At the moment when ever we ask her, she looks under my top and says not yet.)

Lilpumpkin06
December 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I had an elective scan at 14wks 4 days. Tech has 100% accuracy rate. I had another scan at 16 wks 2 days & gender is still the same! For me the early scan was good with a tech that specializes in early gender determination. The regular techs that do routine visits at my OB office aren't as skilled in detecting gender before 18-20 wks. They weren't sure what nubs were! At the elective place the tech had literature & research posted regarding nubs & pics of the fetus' genitalia at every week of gestation. She knew her stuff & says come back anytime free of charge if OB techs are confused! She is good! :) Going for another at my OB office at 18 wks! Lol! Hope this helps! It just helped me to stop obsessing! The tech will point out everything in detail to ease your mind & give you video & pics.

NearlyDone
December 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I was going team green but after my NT scan i got the itch to find out....i dont drive and OH refuses to drive me to the private place*(he says its a waste of money ggggrrrr) if i cant get around him i will have to wait till feb 6th..sounds so far away

Mrs_P
December 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well, I'm 13+3 now...the tech says she'll render guesses beginning at 13 weeks but I don't feel comfortable with anything under 15 weeks. I'm still unsure, I feel like I'll be disappointing my DH if I drag him to Buffalo with me. Blah!! I wish some ladies here who have had early gender scans would weigh in with their reviews and feedback about whether or not it was worth it for them. Thanks for letting me talk this out with you!

If it helps any they told me my little one was a girl at my 12 week cvs test - i didn't believe them and didn't say anything to anyone not even dh (although it did give me a little hope - the consultant there was one of the top five in the uk and he said he'd routinely being gender sexing now at the nt scan; he reckoned with their equipment (really really top of the line - no water drinking before or anything) and his experience he confident enough then he'd sex the baby). He was right as well - it was confirmed a few days later by the cvs results

Mrs_P
December 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I think if you get someone experienced at early gender determination its accurate. There are lot of girls on the other thread that had gender scans at 15/16 weeks and so far no-one has heard the opposite at their 20 week scan - if that helps at all x

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks MrsP, you're definitely tempting me!! I'm just suddenly dying to know...I need to either jump for joy or come to grips, I'm going round the bend with the wondering. That NT scan really set me off, wish I hadn't seen the nub it's given me a little burst of hope in my heart.

Bimby
December 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Well I have 12 days to go till my 20 week scan and it has been hard to wait but the wait is almost over and I am getting nervous & excited all at once. You can do it hon, I know its hard but I think I would doubt an early result no matter what anyone said. I was soooooo tempted so many times as all the ladies in my DD thread know already but its ok. I was going team green until my babies nub looked girly and now I HAVE to know. Same thing as you, my placenta is anterior (mainly to the left) so perhaps you can live through me until your scan to get you through a little. My DH didnt agree to spending any extra money and Im glad Ive waited, its been excrutiating at times but I know I will find out 100% at my 20 week scan. If I can do it, you can too :)

Jadis
December 20th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks Bimby, I'll be stalking you to see what you're having :) Please be sure to update. I think I'm going to try to wait it out, but I can't promise that I won't cave in and book an appointment next week :nails:

Cinss
December 20th, 2012, 10:31 PM
My tech guessed at my 12 week scan, got it right!

cvd
December 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Jadis what did you end up deciding to do? Are you going to the states??

Jadis
December 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
At this point, Cvd, I'm not. But I still think about it every single day and I just might change my mind. I'm 13+4 now, and I'd like to be around 15 weeks if I did decide to go. The countdown is on till your u/s!! I can't wait to hear your big news. Hearing that other people in my due date group is finding out, makes it more tempting!

cvd
December 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
At this point, Cvd, I'm not. But I still think about it every single day and I just might change my mind. I'm 13+4 now, and I'd like to be around 15 weeks if I did decide to go. The countdown is on till your u/s!! I can't wait to hear your big news. Hearing that other people in my due date group is finding out, makes it more tempting!

I think its wise to wait it out! If afterwards you don't feel 100% confident then it was a waste hehe! Other then just seeing baby is always a plus :) and yes the countdown is on for sure. I can hardly wait. I think DH is getting sick of hearing about how excited I am lol! We are doing a "gender reveal" photo shoot, so other then DH I won't be able to celebrate with or tell anyone so I will be updating on here ASAP to celebrate with you ladies haha!

Jadis
December 23rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
a gender reveal photo shoot? What a fantastic idea! I love it. So what's the timeline like? How long after the photo shoot until you can reveal the gender to your friends and family? I'd be twitching with excitment, I think I'd burst trying to hold it in. I can't wait to hear :) I'm sure you've got Aubree in there!

cvd
December 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
a gender reveal photo shoot? What a fantastic idea! I love it. So what's the timeline like? How long after the photo shoot until you can reveal the gender to your friends and family? I'd be twitching with excitment, I think I'd burst trying to hold it in. I can't wait to hear :) I'm sure you've got Aubree in there!

Yes we're SOO excited! We have a session booked for the 7th with our photographer, I wanted to book it so its far enough away we can reschedule if they can't see for some reason! But she said to message her after the scan and shell get us in ASAP. Thank goodness jan is her slow month then she said since she's already caught up on photos we will have them by the next DAY!!! So hopefully it'll work out we won't have to hold it in for long at all, I will definitely be bursting as well :)

Jadis
December 23rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Will you post one of the pics from your shoot here for us to see? It's such a fun idea!

cvd
December 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Will you post one of the pics from your shoot here for us to see? It's such a fun idea!
Oh yes I will for sure! I have some super cute ideas :)

Jadis
January 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Your photo shoot is tomorrow, CVD! You must be looking forward to it, can't wait to see a pic-it might give me some ideas. Our u/s is booked for Jan.23rd, I'll be 18 weeks exactly...eeeeek...I'm terrified now.

cvd
January 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Your photo shoot is tomorrow, CVD! You must be looking forward to it, can't wait to see a pic-it might give me some ideas. Our u/s is booked for Jan.23rd, I'll be 18 weeks exactly...eeeeek...I'm terrified now.

We actually had to cancel it. I am terribly sick. I've had the flu since Friday and DS is still sick too. But we actually decided not to do the gender reveal, since we found out a week early I just wanted to tell people rather then keep pretending I thought its a girl :( so were actually just getting regular maternity/family photos. We're still going to incorporate some baby boy stuff in but it's not being used as an announcement! All my super cute ideas were girl things :(
Can't wait to hear your update on the 23rd :) ill be checking lots!!

The Anchor
January 7th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Really??? I'm in Calgary and there are a few places here that will do it...I got a potty shot at 15 weeks with DS. What did the CBC report say?

cvd
January 7th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Really??? I'm in Calgary and there are a few places here that will do it...I got a potty shot at 15 weeks with DS. What did the CBC report say?

That too many were using ultrasounds then getting abortions for gender selection. It's really sad.

The Anchor
January 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
OMG, really??? I don't mean to sound weird, but was it a cultural thing? Like, female babies were being aborted. Honestly, I'm shocked!

cvd
January 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
OMG, really??? I don't mean to sound weird, but was it a cultural thing? Like, female babies were being aborted. Honestly, I'm shocked!

Yes! Apparently the majority were of the Indian culture. Since the undercover investigation, everywhere has changed their guidelines in Toronto! Even the place I went, just east of Toronto, changed theirs from 18 weeks up to 20! So sad :( sucks for those of us who are just excited and want to know!

The Anchor
January 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Wow I wonder if it's the same here. I know that BC wasn't even doing gender determination at all for ages, for that same reason, but I think it's turned around just recently. How awful!