PDA

View Full Version : Help me name my boy/girl twins! *UPDATE: Vote on pg. 8*

sweetpea
December 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
*UPDATE*
We've chosen the names Logan and Ava for our twins! Thank you all for your help in this thread, I really appreciate all the responses. :agree: We're now trying to choose just the right middle name for each baby. Feel free to jump to pg. 8 to view my latest reply, which includes a link to our name list. You can then give each name combo a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down." I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you so much! :)

PS: I'll include the link here, if it's easier: Sweetpea's Name List (http://www.babynames.com/Names/namelist_view.php?VNLID=9600216)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I know what I'm having, I'm excited to start brainstorming names for my twins! ;) We're having a boy and a girl, and I tend to like gender specific names (not unisex). I'd love a pretty, girly name for my daughter, to make her stand out from her three brothers. :)

So far, the boy and girl names at the top of our list are Logan and Ava. Here are some other names I like:

BOY NAMES:

Joshua
Owen
Noah
Jeremiah
Zachary
Elijah (maybe nn Eli)

GIRL NAMES:

Eliana (possibly with the nn Ellie)
Juliana
Amelia
Liliana (maybe nn Lily)
Gianna or Giana (maybe nn Gia or Gigi)
Sophia

Any other ideas? I don't like super matchy-matchy twin names, but I'd like them to sound good together. I'd love to hear your suggestions! :)

ETA: I forgot about the name Elijah! I added that to my boy list above.

Wanting-a-girl
December 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I think Amelia is very pretty!

ThreeMenAndALAdy
December 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
My dd's name is Ava, and the little guy I'm carrying now will be names Owen. I like your list.

sweetpea
December 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
My dd's name is Ava, and the little guy I'm carrying now will be names Owen. I like your list.
3M, can I ask what your DD's middle name is? I think Ava might be my favorite girl name right now, with Eliana being a very close second. But with such a short first name, what did you find the perfect middle name to be?

ThreeMenAndALAdy
December 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I also have an Aydan, an Evan and an Austin. Gosh, writing it down makes it seem like I have so many kids...lol!!

sweetpea
December 27th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I also have an Aydan, an Evan and an Austin. Gosh, writing it down makes it seem like I have so many kids...lol!!
Haha, I know what you mean - it's so strange for us, because we're used to just saying two names, but soon we'll be saying four! So crazy! ;)

I really love your kids' names, btw! :agree:

ThreeMenAndALAdy
December 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
4 is great. You'll love it!!! Congrats on your twins.

ThreeMenAndALAdy
December 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
3M, can I ask what your DD's middle name is? I think Ava might be my favorite girl name right now, with Eliana being a very close second. But with such a short first name, what did you find the perfect middle name to be?

Ava Rose.

sweetpea
December 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ava Rose is beautiful! However, my niece (with the same last name as us) is Emma Rose, so I'm afraid that's a bit too close. But very, very pretty! :agree:

Hobbermittens
December 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Just don't call them Eli and Ellie! That would be super confusing.

I like Owen and Amelia.

Tiggerian
December 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
What are your other boys names?

I like Ava - but not keen on Logan.

My youngest is Noah and lemme tell you this, and its a great name! Always getting compliments on it.

I think I like Sophia best of your girl name picks. Elijah and Sophia would be great together! Ava and Noah would be very cute too!

Boymomsrock
December 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I like Ava too. How about Ava Kate? Ava Paige? On your list I like Noah and Owen, Owen being my fave. My twins are not match at all either. I just don't like that.

sweetpea
December 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Just don't call them Eli and Ellie! That would be super confusing.

I like Owen and Amelia.
Oh, no no! I wouldn't! Some of the names I like above just don't go together at all! I like the above names, but I'm trying to find just the right two that fit together. :agree:

nuthinbutpink
December 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Noah and Amelia!

sweetpea
December 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
My other boys' names are Nathan and Matthew. DH is totally set on the name Logan for DS3, and I do really like it, but I'm not sure if it's "the" name, ywim? I just can't find a third boy name that I LOVE, like I did with DS1 and DS2. I think we're probably going to end up with Logan, unless I find something I like more. Which I'm okay with, but I'd love to find a name that I say, "YES! That's it! That's the name!" You know? Hmmm, IDK maybe that's unrealistic.

I love the name Noah, but (and I realize this is weird, but...) I'd like each of my kids to have a different first initial, and we already have a Nathan. Heehee, I know that's strange, and it's definitely not a deal breaker, but it's something I think about. Also, DH's brother's dog is named Noah. Not sure if that would be too weird or not. I do like Owen too, but I don't think DH really likes that name much. Hmmm, this is hard!

Still thinking Ava or Eliana for the girl...although I really do love the other names on the list too. That's going to be a hard decision as well, since we'll only ever have one girl (we're done having kids now) and I need to make sure we pick the ONE name we love the best. We only get one shot at this! ;)

Mum23boys
December 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
i think Owen and Amelia - Owen is obviously my eldest son and Amelia my niece so i might be biased but they are such nice names and sound great together

nuthinbutpink
December 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM
The only thing with Eliana is that nobody will know how to spell it when it is said aloud and she will have to spell her name each time it is said. I have one of those type names so I know. It's not the end of the world but it is irritating.

Eliana is certainly not a hard name to spell but it is unusual enough that people just won't be sure! JMHO!

Pangea
December 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
My favourites of those names are Owen and Amelia. I was going to call DS1 Amelia if he was a girl.

Wanting-a-girl
December 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Other names I had on my list with my boys were rowan, Julian, Jude, Lennon, London, my girl names were Vienna, Harlow Ava,

My sons middle names Evan jean, Hayden Abel, Ezra lee

Rosie85
December 27th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I love the name Harlow! Dh shot it down more than once. Lucky for him this isn't a girl, haha.

I really like the name Amelia, it would go well with Logan

Mrs_P
December 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I do like amelia, and there are lots of different ways to shorten it to which is nice. If ds1 was a girl he was going to be Lily or Amelia or Amelie, ds2 was going to be Lily or Ruby, ds3 was going to be Lily or Freya - sensing a theme at all? We never really could agree on a girl name (until about a month before my bfp this time and its been unanimous from the beginning). Lily i liked but was never really sure - we ended up calling our dog lily. But one of our sons is called Dylan which we shorten to Dyl or Dilly so its amazing how many times you call Dyl and get the dog or the other way around as they must sound so similar - kinda glad we never named a baby that now.

Mrs_P
December 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
How about Ava and Oliver

Tiggerian
December 27th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I really like the name Elia (pronounce elle-EE-ah). Eliana I do like it, but my foreign tongue find it a bit of a twister.

Logan is a good name too - I just think Wolverine from X-men!

I totally get your not wanting the same initial for your kids - I actually think its a good think. If you choose Noah and when your boys are older you get a letter for "N. Jones" they won't know who its for. So choosing a different initial is a good thing! Plus I wouldn't choose a name some family members dog have :P

Logan & Ava are good together. Logan also fits with Sophia and Amelia, and both are super feminine.

Ava has a really good vintage feel about it. My only concern is that it is very common (which might not be a bad thing in your book! I mean, Noah has sky rocketed in popularity too over the last few years (dang it!) lol).

Dreamofpink
December 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I know of a child in our town who has the name Ava-Lily. It is pretty and makes her stand out a little from the other Avas and Lilys but still a bit too common for my liking at the moment. I love the names Maia and Felicity and would be hard-pressed to choose (if I ever get a BFP!) and DH likes Nate for a boy. DS2 was going to be Amelia, but I'm glad I got to use the name Ethan :)

lovemy4
December 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I like Amelia and Eliana (that's my niece's name). I love Jeremiah for a boy and Logan goes well with your other sons names.

Cinss
December 28th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I like Owen and Ava together, i'd stay away from Lily/Liliana and Sophie/Sophia, they are our 2 oldest girls and there is at least 2 of each of them in their class at school, WAY to common.

sweetpea
December 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks, ladies! I love reading through all your replies. :)

I know some of the girl names I've chosen are gaining popularity, or have been very popular in recent years, but virtually ALL of the names on my girl list are names that are not taken by any little girls in our circle of friends, family, church family, or school. Of course, there could always be an Ava or Sophia that pops up in my kids' classrooms over the years, but I don't find that a big deal. As long as there aren't any (or many) in our social circle, I'm fine with it. :agree:

As for Eliana being a hard name to spell - I really don't think so at all. It's spelled exactly as it sounds. And this is coming from someone whose name was always spelled wrong all her life. ;) If we do choose Eliana, we'd probably call her Ellie anyway.

I'm still not finding that boy name that I LOVE. I think Logan is growing on me more and more though, and since DH has been so awesome in the whole TTC and swaying process, I think I'd be happy letting him choose this boy name, since he seems to love it so much. If there was a different boy name that I absolutely adored, I'd probably push the issue, but since I do like (but maybe not LOVE) the name Logan, I think I'll be okay with it. We have actually considered that name for DS1 and DS2, but it just barely didn't make the cut. So maybe it will this time, who knows!

I'm still finding that my heart is drawn to Ava and Eliana for girl names. I really do think I love those the best. So, it will probably end up being between those two, but it's sooo hard to choose. I also know several people in our social circle who are pregnant (a few weeks behind me) and don't yet know what they're having...but some have mentioned using either Ava or Eliana for their baby's name if it's a girl. I told DH today that we should probably sit down and make a decision, because one of those names could be snatched up soon, LOL. I would hate to think back and say, "Oh, I wish I would have just picked that name!" after someone else did, kwim? Hmmm, why is naming so hard sometimes? DS1 I just KNEW was going to be Nathan, it was my favorite boy name. Every other child has been harder to name.

Hey - here's a new question....

If I'm trying to decide between Ava and Eliana, could you ladies share what middle names you think go nicely with them? Maybe a first-middle combo will strike me as the "right" name and will help me decide. What do you think?

Mrs_P
December 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
To some extent i don't think having a popular name is that bad, ds1 is named after dh's grandad but its always been one of the most popular names in every chart since he's been born and there has always been one other child with that name at least.

On the other hand ds2's name is welsh (were in england) and unless we are on holiday in Wales i had yet to see another child with the same name (especially the welsh spelling) since we'd caught with him and everyone commented on how unusual and what a nice name it was. But then when he was started school he is in the same class as another boy with the same name spelt the same way.

My girls name is a really popular one but its been my favourite for ages and the only name dh and i ever agreed on so all being well we will get to use it in 6 months time.

Ava and Eliana are both really lovely names. If your dh loves Logan why not name one each. I wasn't keen on the name ds1 choose for ds3 but dh really liked it and whilst i didn't dislike it i was overly strook but it grew on me and it really suits him (and i couldn't come up with anything better either!)

Cinss
December 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Ava Grace
Ava Lilliana
Ava McKenzie

Eliana Rose
Eliana Ruby
Eliana Bree

sweetpea
December 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Thank you, Cinss! Those are very pretty, I especially like Ava Lilliana. :agree:

Anyone else?

lovemy4
December 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I agree with you on Eliana not being hard to spell--no one in the past 10 years has had any trouble spelling it. She does go by Ellie 95% of the time, though, which I think is super cute. I also like that it has nickname options so she can go by either Eliana, Ellie or just Elle (which I love!). I'm not nearly as fond of Ava. It's nice and all but it doesn't have that "ring" to it that I look for with a name, kwim? Anyway, middle name suggestions:

Eliana Elizabeth, Eliana Marina, Eliana Faith, Eliana Josephine, Eliana Paige

nuthinbutpink
December 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I think it depends on where you live for knowing how to spell a name. Where I am, she will be spelling it! It's pretty though- it is pronounced El-ee-au-na right?

sweetpea
December 29th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I agree with you on Eliana not being hard to spell--no one in the past 10 years has had any trouble spelling it. She does go by Ellie 95% of the time, though, which I think is super cute. I also like that it has nickname options so she can go by either Eliana, Ellie or just Elle (which I love!). I'm not nearly as fond of Ava. It's nice and all but it doesn't have that "ring" to it that I look for with a name, kwim? Anyway, middle name suggestions:

Eliana Elizabeth, Eliana Marina, Eliana Faith, Eliana Josephine, Eliana Paige
That's what I love so much about Eliana - the fact that she can go by the full name, or choose Ellie or Elle as the nickname. I love all variations of it! :awe: I wish DH would like the name as much as I do. Maybe I can talk him into it. Although, I do still love the pretty simplicity of Ava, too. I really do love both of these names, it's going to be so tough to choose.

sweetpea
December 29th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I think it depends on where you live for knowing how to spell a name. Where I am, she will be spelling it! It's pretty though- it is pronounced El-ee-au-na right?

Every time I've heard it, I've heard of it pronounced El-ee-ah-na. I think it's so pretty, but it is a bit of a longer-sounding name (4 syllables). Ah, I finally get my girl, and now I'm really torn between two names! I love them both, and really can't decide! :p

Cinss
December 29th, 2012, 10:08 PM
The more i read the name the more it grows on me, i thought it was ok at the start of your thread, now i am really liking it, maybe you should just keep saying it to your DH.

nuthinbutpink
December 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I know lots of Ava's or variations of Ava.

sweetpea
December 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM
The more i read the name the more it grows on me, i thought it was ok at the start of your thread, now i am really liking it, maybe you should just keep saying it to your DH.
Which name are you referring to, Cinss? Eliana?

sweetpea
December 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I know lots of Ava's or variations of Ava.

I hear of Ava's all over the internet (chat rooms and such), but out of my whole social circle (family, friends, church family, DS's school, and even my hundreds of Facebook friends), I don't know of one Ava. I *do* have a distant friend who named her daughter Eva (pronounced the same way as Ava), but I don't find that the same, and she lives hundreds of miles away.

So, the only Ava's I "know" are from chat room moms. None IRL. :shrug: That's probably why the popularity if it doesn't bother me at all.

nuthinbutpink
December 29th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I think Ava is a pretty name.

Cinss
December 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Which name are you referring to, Cinss? Eliana?

Yep Eliana

lovemy4
December 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM
You can always wait until she's born and then see which "fits" her better. That's what we did when I had my dd after 2 boys. We were torn between 3 names but I knew which one to choose as soon as I saw her :)

Tiggerian
December 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Eliana definitely grows on me too!

I don't put much stall into name popularity, although I do try to stay out of the top 20 (my youngest name now is in the top 20 lol bah!)

I think they are both good choices - but to choose I'd go with the one that sounds better with Logan and that would have to be Ava for me. Logan and Ava.

I have to admit I am biased towards Ellie as well, and unfortunately not in a good way!

Ava Sophia is adorable and Sophia is on your list too!

Mrs_P
December 30th, 2012, 04:04 PM
If you really like Eliana and Ava could you not use both in some form? I'd never heard of Eliana before this forum (i think spinning like it to) but it is really pretty and there is a lot of scope for what she could do with it in the future to determine who she wants to be (i like names that kids can put their own spin on when they are older)

BabyCakesTor
December 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Now that I know what I'm having, I'm excited to start brainstorming names for my twins! ;) We're having a boy and a girl, and I tend to like gender specific names (not unisex). I'd love a pretty, girly name for my daughter, to make her stand out from her three brothers. :)

So far, the boy and girl names at the top of our list are Logan and Ava. Here are some other names I like:

BOY NAMES:

Joshua
Owen
Noah
Jeremiah
Zachary
Elijah (maybe nn Eli)

GIRL NAMES:

Eliana (possibly with the nn Ellie)
Juliana
Amelia
Liliana (maybe nn Lily)
Gianna or Giana (maybe nn Gia or Gigi)
Sophia

Any other ideas? I don't like super matchy-matchy twin names, but I'd like them to sound good together. I'd love to hear your suggestions! :)

ETA: I forgot about the name Elijah! I added that to my boy list above.

Boys:
Owen
Noah
Zachary

Girls:
Amelia
Gianna (maybe nn Gia or Gigi) This one is my favorite btw.... Giabella (my own twist) was my only choice my last pregnancy.
Sophia

BabyCakesTor
December 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I hear of Ava's all over the internet (chat rooms and such), but out of my whole social circle (family, friends, church family, DS's school, and even my hundreds of Facebook friends), I don't know of one Ava. I *do* have a distant friend who named her daughter Eva (pronounced the same way as Ava), but I don't find that the same, and she lives hundreds of miles away.

So, the only Ava's I "know" are from chat room moms. None IRL. :shrug: That's probably why the popularity if it doesn't bother me at all.

There's always Eva as an alternative to Ava

Bluebell32
December 30th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Twins how exciting. I am biased as I have a Joshua Eli, two of the names on your boy list and I love it because he can be a Joshua or a Josh and it is always a cool name. I also like Leo . I love the name Ava but if you wanted a variant on the name that isn't so popular you could think about Ada ! Have fun choosing x

sweetpea
December 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
You can always wait until she's born and then see which "fits" her better. That's what we did when I had my dd after 2 boys. We were torn between 3 names but I knew which one to choose as soon as I saw her :)
I would love to do this, because in my mind, I have a different vision of what an Ava would look like compared to an Eliana. I'd love to wait and see which name fits her better, but I'm afraid if I do that, then a couple that we know (who won't be finding out the sex of their baby until about a month from now) will choose Eliana if their baby is a girl. And then, that would be that. I think we just need to pick a name now and stick with it, because I can't just "claim" two names until she's born, kwim?

Cinss
December 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Sweetpea i would claim Eliana now, tell your friend thats your choice, then you can change your mind after your daughter is born if you feel like she is an Ava instead, but it would be a shame to lose Eliana now.

lovemy4
December 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I would tell them that you are going to name your baby girl Eliana then. If she doesn't look at all like an Elle when she's born then go with something else.

hopingforsaskia
December 30th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I love the name Aveline.. It's almost a crossover of eliana and ava?

Either way, I'd claim it if you think there's a good chance you'll use Eliana. :)

lovemy4
December 31st, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hmm. . .what about Aviana (A-vee-ah-na)?

Rabbit0809
January 1st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Sweatpea,my jaw dropped once I saw ur list of girl names,u cant believe it maybe,but Juliana,Liliana,and Gianna are the three names that I have on my list for my girly girl that Im swaying for In March hopefully.

Id go with Lilliana for ur princess,and for ur prince,even though the name isnt on ur list,I ADORE the name LUKAS.....sigh....

Lukas and Lilliana, how lovely is that........thud
:awe::awe::awe::awe::awe:

sweetpea
January 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Sort of an update...

I talked with my sister today on the phone and after talking it out, I realized that I really did love the name Ava over Eliana. I realized that Eliana (especially Ellie or Elle) just does not sound good with our last name. The more we talked, the more I realized that Ava was the right name for our baby girl.

So, I got off the phone, and said to DH, "Okay...so, what about Logan and Ava as their names?" And he said, "I've been saying that all along!" LOL. I love the way they sound together, and it was like a huge weight was lifted off my chest because I wouldn't have to worry about the other friend of mine who is pg choosing Eliana. I was okay with that, because Ava just felt right.

Well, I texted my SIL later in the day to tell her we chose our names. When I told her it will be Logan and Ava, she said, "Oh Ava is our pick too!" Uh, I kind of had a feeling she'd say something like that. She's not pg, I don't think she's even trying yet, and she already has a DD (and a DS). Anyway, we kept texting for a bit, and she flat out told me that she still plans on using the name Ava if she ends up having another girl. Ummm? Her and I married brothers, so we have the same last name. And we hang out a LOT - which means our kids hang out a lot. So, our daughters would BOTH be Ava ____ (same last name)? Like, as in the EXACT same name? How weird is that? I was shocked she said that, and now I'm worried that if we chose the name Ava, that she'll end up getting pg with a girl and also choose that name. WTH?! She already has a daughter, she already experienced that blissful ignorance where she got to choose whatever name on earth she wanted for her daughter. And she chose Emma. She got to pick her favorite girl name, now it's my turn, isn't it? Why should I have to forfeit the name I love most for my daughter, who actually exists, for a hypothetical niece I may never even have?

I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. My SIL won't budge -- if she gets pg with a girl and I've chosen Ava, then we will have two Ava's in the family (with the exact same last name). That seems so stupid to me. I don't want my daughter to have the exact same name as her cousin.

I don't know. I don't want to be selfish, but don't I have the right to name my daughter what I want, without all the drama? I just don't want to compromise on a name I love for the one and only daughter I will ever have, just because my SIL *might* have another girl someday. But then again, I don't want to set up my daughter for an awkward situation when/if my SIL does end up having another girl, and naming her the exact same thing.

Ugh. Why can't anything be simple anymore?

(really, really sorry for the vent - I just needed to get this all out)

Butterfly Spirit
January 20th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I always say keep your dream name to yourself to avoid such unnecessary drama with family and friends. Sweetpea, I'm so sorry you are going though this.
My SIL threw out some MAJOR family drama when I named my DS#2 the second name choice she had for her first daughter. (And I didn't remember that was her name pick until after he was named) And she didn't get pregnant with her second daughter until 2 yrs after I named him.
So she played this game and tried to get my dream name out of me for my daughter so she could name her second daughter that. I wouldn't tell her, but someone else in the family did.. So anyway.. it was all a mind game complete with having her DH call mine. When she delivered she told my MIL it was never a serious name consideration.
USE the name you have picked! But I just wanted to throw in something cute you might like..
Elayna or Alayna.

hopingforsaskia
January 20th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Aw babe -- she will be the one that looks ridiculous if she names her (hypothetical) next daughter the same as yours. I honestly would just tell her that its her choice what she does in her imagination but you are naming your daughter Ava and if she really wants to be the follow up act to your most beautiful princess then she can answer to her daughter in years to come. ;) what a biatch though, seriously...

Boymomsrock
January 20th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I agree that she will be the one that looks like a complete idiot. She's not even preg and I would hope that her dh and other family members would talk some sense into her if that should be the case.

sweetpea
January 21st, 2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks, ladies. Your replies make me feel a bit better. I guess it would be her looking foolish in the end, not me. I just don't want my DD to feel stupid later in life, having a cousin with the exact same name. How weird. And the funny thing is, my SIL doesn't even think it's an issue. She said she would call her (potential) DD by her first and middle name -- Ava Grace -- and I would only be calling my DD by her first name. But still, Ava and Ava Grace, with the same last name, is still essentially the SAME name. Just so weird to me.

I wish I could just keep our name choices a secret until the birth, but she is also the type of person who could get a positive pregnancy test next week, and announce that the baby will be Ava, if it's a girl and (?) if it's a boy. So, if I keep our name choice a secret, then she would look like the one who chose the name first. If we do go ahead and choose the name Ava, we need to just put it out there officially and announce it, I think. Like I said...she's not even pregnant!

Ughhhh, drama! This is so stupid. I finally get my one and only girl, and I can't just happily name her what I want. :mad: So frustrating.

WantingPink
January 21st, 2013, 12:14 AM
I am so sorry!! Everyone is right... she will be the one that looks like a fool. Especially since she didn't make it known that Ava was what she wanted her next daughter's name to be. Besides she may never have another girl and then you would be really pissed that you changed the name you wanted for something that never happen. She might change her mind or maybe her husband won't like the name. Talk it over with your DH. Chances are when you start letting everyone in your family know that you have chosen the name Ava she is going to look like a fool. She got her first pick at a girl name and she chose Emma. I doubt her husband will be okay with the idea of naming their daughter after YOUR DD:)

HopingWishingPraying
January 21st, 2013, 12:18 AM
I would call her bluff. Whoever actually HAS the baby (girl or boy) has first dibs I think, and you are right that she had her chance to pick her favourite girl name and it was NOT Ava. She may never end up having another girl, and it would be sad if you forfeited your favourite name for your long awaited (and very hard fought for) daughter for a child that may never exist (or how annoying would it be if you changed your name for her, then she had a girl and didn't even end up using the name? Possible). I reckon she is trying to make you back down and back away from the name or call claim to it by insisting that she will still use it... but in reality several months or years down the track when your precious Ava is in the world and everyone associates that name with her beautiful niece, it would be very suprising if she actually went ahead with calling her daughter the same name. Plus her DH would have to agree and hopefully he wouldn't be silly and insensitive enough. She is probably a bit shocked at the moment as we all are when we found out someone has used "our" name (happened to me the other day) but there are many beautiful girl names in the world and she has plenty of time to get falling in love with another one. It may even not be her first pick, just one of several on a short list but she is trying to "call" it because it is one of several she liked and wanted to have open as an option. It is inappropriate of her in my opinion. Cant wait until your beautiful Ava joins you - don't let her take the shine off the name or this experience for you through her selfish behaviour. It is NOT all about her, despite the fact she is trying to make it be.

Rosie85
January 21st, 2013, 01:21 AM
What hoping said 100%. Don't not use the name Ava because of a possibility. I am in the same situation with a cousin, different last name but she is pissed I am using the name Theodore saying she staked claim in it long ago because ts our grandfathers name and she wanted to honor him and it means more coming from her than me...wtf?! Yeah I am totally using the name...why because she isn't pregnant, I am and I am having my third boy and I'm going to damn well name him what I please.

Tiggerian
January 21st, 2013, 06:31 AM
Oh we had that too when we named DS2. The name we picked was also, coincidentally, the same name my younger sister and my SiL wanted. My sister accepted by declaring the name Lucca of bounds then, which I agreed too. But my SiL.. who has never had a boyfriend and doesn't even want kids is still fuming over it 2 years later! Christ almighty!

SO, if we ever have anymore kids, we are just going to tell them different names than the ones we are planning on using and then announce it after the birth.

lovemy4
January 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM
Use the name Ava. You love it. It makes you happy and they may never have another dd. Don't let a hypothetical situation deter you from choosing the name you want.

SophiaRose
January 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Noah & Amelia or Elijah and Sophia :nursetwins: Congratulations on your twins!! Such a blessing! Did you sway or take clomid? Look forward to hearing your choices x

Mrs_P
January 21st, 2013, 05:12 PM
Sophia rose she took clomid and has posted her sway if you fancy a peak.

Sweetpea call them Ava and Logan its not only really cute its what you really want. Your little person will be the first and original and she will look stupid to everyone if she copies you and i'm sure when the times comes she would not let that happen to her daughter. She may even not have another daughter! You have waited long enough name your little girl the name you love.

Just as an fyi i had a similar story. I have always liked the name Lily and it was a my girl name for all three of my boys, my SIL found out she was pregnant just after i had ds3 and guess what she was proposing to call her - yep my name! I was adamant and told everyone it was my name and she'd look stupid as i'd use it if were to have a girl, everyone knew it was our name and after three boys i reserved the right. Anyway she had a boy and i named my female puppy Lily just to prove a point! Silly i know but she really rubs me up the wrong way on purpose. Now i have the potential chance to name a daughter i don't want it anymore she put me off it. I have a new dream name for my potential little girl - people and their opinions do change and the fact that she liked it put me off - just cause she calls it now does not mean she will ever use it. Your Ava will have years on her and i'm sure other family members would put her off etc if common sense doesn't.

ps you know i love hearing everyones names, maybe we should update the roll call icons with their names to!

sweetpea
January 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies, I really do appreciate it so much. :agree: DH and I mulled it over a bit, and realized that we're kind of screwed any way you look at it. If we don't use the girl name we love, then one of two things will happen: 1) SIL will have a girl next, and name her DD Ava, and then we'll always be a bit sad/mad that we didn't pick our favorite girl name, while they picked their TWO favorite girl names...OR 2) SIL will have a boy next, and then we didn't use the name we loved for absolutely NO reason at all. If we DO use the name, there's the possibility that our SIL will still use the name (which would make me so mad and make our family look stupid by having TWO Ava's with the SAME last name). So any way we go, it's not easy.

We just finally decided this weekend to pick the name we love, and be done with it. We have a little girl on the way NOW...they don't, or might not ever again. They already picked their favorite girl name, so now it's our turn. Whatever happens after that...oh well. I don't want to regret not choosing our favorite name and settling on something else.

So...our twins will officially be named Ava and Logan. I'm super happy with our choice, and it makes me laugh that I even created this thread, because looking back at the original post, I realize now that my heart had already made the choice. ;)

Mrs_P
January 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Lovely names and good on, they are a dream come true so why should their names be any less special than them x

sweetpea
January 28th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Awww, that was really sweet, MrsP. It made me smile, thank you. :)

Cinss
January 28th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Good on you sweetpea, i really doubt your SIL would want to have the exact same name child if she ever has a DD, i think its great you got it 1st.

sweetpea
January 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you, Cinss! I agree. I hope the name will grow old to her and she'll pick something else if/when she ever has another DD. :agree:

fish2012
January 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM
i have a noah he's ds2 absolute cutie, i love joshua too ds1 was nearly joshua

ava rose is so lovely

what an exciting choice to have to make!

fish2012
January 30th, 2013, 04:31 PM
ahhh read whole thread that's a lovely choice sweetpea, ignore the baby that gets born fist gets the name simple as ;-0

sweetpea
January 30th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Thank you, fish! :) I hope we're making the right decision.

sweetpea
January 30th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ok, so I've created a poll on the Baby Names website and I'd love to hear what you ladies think! Just click on the link and vote "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on each name combo. I'd love to see what you guys like and don't like from our list! This is our last time naming babies, and the only shot we get at naming the only girl we will ever have, so I'm feeling really picky about names this time around! :p

I really like all 5 boy name combos I have on our list. I'd probably be equally happy with any one of those names. The girl name is a lot harder for me...like I said above, I'm feeling really picky and indecisive about her name.

Anyway, go ahead and vote! Thanks so much! ;)

Here's the link: Sweetpea's Name List (http://www.babynames.com/Names/namelist_view.php?VNLID=9600216)