PDA

View Full Version : We have booked our Holiday!

xnicolax
April 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Me and DH are going to New York:omg:, I am so so excited. I have always wanted to go and never thought I would get the opportunity for a long time. My mam suggested it as she was planning on having the boys for my HT cycle and as we are no longer doing that she thought it was a good idea (and it is a certain three zero birthday for me this year, which I would honestly rather forget about:sad:) Anyway, for those that have been or know anything about NY I want to know all of the must do's for while in there, we are there for 5 nites and I want to do as much as possible! So far I have got-

- Empire State Building
- Rockafella centre (top of the rock)
- Statue of Liberty
- Central Park (with horse and carriage)
- Ground Zero:sad:
- Macy's/Bloomingdales
- Breakfast at Tiffanys (Audrey Hepburn style)

And I am planning on doing the Sex and the City tour and the screen tour which includes some 'friends' sites:)

Can anyone think of anything I am missing?

grits
April 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
If theatre interests you, you should see a Broadway show and an off-Broadway show.

My all time favorite thing to do in NYC is to sit in Time Square and people watch.

xnicolax
April 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Grits, we are staying in times square so will deffinitely be doing that :)

Can you recomend a broadway show? I looked at them and there is so many to choose from.

nuthinbutpink
April 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Sak's 5th Avenue is a must! Serendipity for dessert. A show-Wicked is great.

nuthinbutpink
April 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Times Square is a little loud and bright! Upper east side near the park is nice.

grits
April 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Chicago, Avenue Q, Memphis, La Cage aux Folles.

I'm not a huge fan of Wicked and The Lion King but they are really popular.

grits
April 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Definitely Saks! You can't go to NYC without going to THE Saks.

Serendipity is DELISH! Yummmmy! When I get home I'll have to look at my travel journal for other local eats. From the pretzel on the corner to a meal at Craft (need reservations) -- NYC has the best food in the world (that I've traveled).

grits
April 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Sak's 5th Avenue is a must! Serendipity for dessert. A show-Wicked is great.

Wicked is a fun show. I was expecting it to be a little more like the book! Which is dumb because the plays/movies are never like the book!

xnicolax
April 4th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Some brilliant ideas, the list is getting longer, lol. Keep them coming, im especially looking forward to this serendipity:p

grits
April 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Chinatown, Little Italy, MoMA, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Harlem (it's happening since Prez Clinton offices there).

What about that morning news show that use to be Katie, Matt, Ann and Al? Can you still stand outside the window and wave? (And can you tell that I never watch the news?)

nuthinbutpink
April 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM
The Today Show!

xnicolax
April 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I have been looking at Saks, I cant wait to go there :) That is now high on the list! I cand seem to make a reservation at serendipitys, you have to do it by telephone? It will cost a fortune from here.

NBP, I love the loud and bright lights so it should be perfect for me, lol.

Grits, that would be brilliant, I have no idea where to start when it comes to restaurants there.

Hobbermittens
April 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Serendipity for dessert.

Is that the place with the frozen hot chocolate? I have been there! It was really good!

I would call and get you a reservation if you want. I free long distance. Let me know what day/time you want!

grits
April 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM
We just went to Serendipity's in Vegas and didn't need a reservation but you might need one in NYC. I can't remember. It's been a couple of years since I went to the NYC location.

For Craft you will definitely need a reservation (and a lot of money, TBH, eek!)

nuthinbutpink
April 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Craft in Atlanta was the most expensive restaurant I have EVER eaten at. And I was really disappointed! I LOVE the Top Chef show, was excited to go but I cannot recommend it and I would spend $500 somewhere else! Maybe it was just what we ordered and our waiter was not helpful. VERY pricey though.

grits
April 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Craft is crazy expensive. I liked the food but I'm such a fan girl that I know I am biased. It don't think it stood up to the costs but everything in NYC is soooo expensive that's how I justified it.

Betty Draper
April 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, see an Opera or Ballet at Lincoln Center, go wander around the West Village and eat at some cafe you just happen into, have brunch at Sarabeths, go bar hopping in the village really late at night into some of the off beat places (if you have that kind of energy), start reading NY Magazine and check out the restaurant/bars/events. Walk though central park on your way to the Met . . . . sail a remote control sailboat in the little pond, go shopping in Soho, I could go on and on and on . . .

xnicolax
April 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Wow, thanks everyone:bigsmile:, I am going to be so busy!

Hobbermittens, that is really kind of you:kiss:, thanks. I will work out what day we will be fitting it into and let you know, thankyou so much:HH:

Wanting a daughter
April 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Les Mis made me cry when I saw it on Broadway.

Hobbermittens
April 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Wow, thanks everyone:bigsmile:, I am going to be so busy!

Hobbermittens, that is really kind of you:kiss:, thanks. I will work out what day we will be fitting it into and let you know, thankyou so much:HH:

You are welcome. PM me with your info when you are ready!

lindi
April 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Get some great pizza! Stromboli's in the east village is one of the best. And if you are wandering around the west village get a Magnolia cupcake and window shop a little. Central Park is gorgeous in the spring. If you like museums, they are all amazing. You might want to go shopping in Soho... I love wandering around in New York, you will happen upon so many wonderful things.

nuthinbutpink
April 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Oh, lindi...forgot about Magnolias cupcakes- the place that made cupcakes "cool"!

lindi
April 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Oh, lindi...forgot about Magnolias cupcakes- the place that made cupcakes "cool"!

Right? So funny, now they are almost out of fashion again...!

Belle
April 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Woodbury common a huge outlet centre. It's a bus ride from Manhattan