PDA

View Full Version : Hi Aussie mums!

Mummyx2
December 30th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I'm going to be starting the Le diet soon & I'm in the process of writing a menu plan:) I would be so grateful if you coud please list a couple of different staple food brandsthat you found ( in australia) to be low in sodium/ potassium/ calories? Or some main meal ideas :) Many, many thanks :) xx

NeedGrace
December 30th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hi Mummyx2. I have just started doing the same thing so would love to compare notes. I haven't actually sourced anything from the major supermarkets or health food stores just yet but have been researching online. I'm going tomorrow to try & find certain things so can update then. In the meantime this link might be useful for finding low sodium options http://www.menieres.org.au/docs/saltshopguide2_10.pdf Apparently H2Coco coconut water can be found at Coles & IGA & Celebes organic coconut water from Coles or Woolworths. Miracle noodles are apparently called Chang's lo cal pasta at Coles & Slim Pasta at Woolies. Seltzer water is soda water -I'm prob the only one who didn't know that:-/ I'm going to try & find Matzo bread. I think it depends which part of Australia you're in. Coles stock it in parts of Melbourne which is handy for you. I'm in Brisbane though. I'm actually writing out a bit of a menu plan too. I'm starting the LE diet properly 1 Jan with plan to ttc from March onwards. When will you be ttc? Would be great to be able to share recipes/menus with Aussie brands. I looked up some of the foods on Amazon & they are quite expensive. Great idea to share ideas!

Mummyx2
December 31st, 2012, 03:59 AM
Hi :) thank u for the link it is fantastic! So far I've found nimbin cheese to be lowest in sodium & Coles brand skim milk ( pink carton) carr's table water biscuits... Sun rice rice crackers... Freedom foods rice puffs & freedom foodsbcorn flakes ( found in organic section of supermarket ) kellogs rice bubbles & corn flakes seem to be a lot higher sodium so ill be staying away from them! Weight watchers apricot jam ( actually is quite yummy!! ) & IXL strawberry jam 50% less sugar.. Homebrand white slices bread ( the $1 loaf) I'm thinking Bout buying a bread maker as there is 2 slices = 262 mg sodium! I don't want to eat a healthy grain bread because I feel like that contradicts the LE diet .. Tamar valley Greek style yogurt 98% fat free comes in a six pack of 125g yogurts ... Coles brand spirals ( considering looking for a better option in a health food shop) havnt checked out rice yet ... I've only just come off the pill & we dtd 3 day after my period finished I thought it would be fine as I wasn't expecting to ovulate the next day! ( I assumed it would take longer) So we may have conceived boy number 3! Lol I've prob got at least a 7-10 day wait before I do a test to find out, I'm happy either way :) are u taking supplements? Do u believe in low ph? What's your sway plan?

lollylegs
December 31st, 2012, 07:53 AM
Chiming in girls ... I'm kinda on the same timeframe starting this week- LE lite (vegetarian, just checking calories but not cutting back yet) and folic acid & fiber, with some monitoring of cycle to see how whacky it might be before any sups (I'm waiting for first AF after MC in early Dec). Thinking March would be earliest attempt, but more likely the following 3 months thereafter in attempt to reduce stress associated with work / starting school with DS1.

Unsure if you found the Sheilas wanting sheilas thread? and the facebook group - there are documents attached there listing local brands and meal ideas based on these - you sound right on track. If you're not already on there (hard matching up real names with online avatars!) then find Amy (hopingforsaskia) and ask her to join you up.

I'll be chatting no doubt along the way xL

Mummyx2
December 31st, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi lollylegs, Sorry to hear u had a m/c, it's heartbreaking I hope you are ok xx I have written on thread for Sheila's who want Sheila the fb group sounds great I will track down Amy :) thank you

NeedGrace
December 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks lollylegs. I hadn't seen that yet but will look for it. Sounds very helpful! I'm so sorry to hear about your m/c too.
I'm actually still waiting for AF to return as I'm still BF'ing DS3 so March is the earliest timeframe for me too. I'm probably aiming more for middle of 2013.
Mummyx2 thanks so much for all those brands. I found everything today except the Matzo bread. Coles had a lot! I just wrote to you on your intro thread as well. Look forward to hearing if you are :pregnant: The 2ww is the worst! I'm so not good at being in limbo... No wonder I have 3 boys haha! Very much the control freak :D

Mummyx2
December 31st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Yay I'm part of the group... You should join Needgrace there is a thread " Sheila's who want Sheila's" look for hopingfoesaskia & send her a private msg with ur fb name .. It's great :) thanks lolly legs

lollylegs
January 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM
My pleasure!

Feeling Blue
January 1st, 2013, 07:07 AM
Hi ladies. I'm in the same boat as you. Won't start diet until feb though as we have a lot happening this month (both boys having a small op on the same day, me taking a girls trip to Melbourne for 4 nights, starting back at work after 2 years off...)

I'm looking at doing a menu for 2 weeks at a time so that I can just repeat it.

Mummyx2
January 2nd, 2013, 02:50 AM
Hi feeeling blue :) I'm starting my diet in 1 week( I had planned to start it on jan 1 st but now we are going away for a couple nights and hubby & I are having a night in the city :) iv written a 7 day meal plan today I've worked our calories & sodium. Haven't looked at protein & potassium .. A girls holiday sounds great, lucky u !! I feel my menu is very bland .. Lots of zucchini, cucumber pasta rice low sodium cheese yogurt and some beans .. R u part of the fb group?

Feeling Blue
January 2nd, 2013, 04:54 AM
Hi mummyx2!

I'm not part of the fb group.... Would love to be though!

lollylegs
January 2nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
I don't suppose you girls would care to share your hard work? I'm feeling useless at this diet planning caper.
Feeling Blue, that sounds like a really busy time you've got ahead. I hope your kiddos are okay.

Feeling Blue
January 2nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hi lollylegs!! :wave:
Sorry to hear about your m/c. How are you going??

I haven't quite started all the research yet. Diet stuff is next :D I'm also going to buy a plan off atomic....

Youngest was born with a hypospadius. Had first op at 11 months (3hrs)and this one is to tidy up. Eldest has a phimosis so is getting circumcised. Both ops will take about 30min each and both going in on the same day. Baby first, then big boy. Def going to be a crazy day!!! Can't wait for my girl trip!! Going to live it up!! Got a day at the Australian open, going to eat and shop so that when I come home and start diet my body will think hard times have hit!! Can't wait to start work!! It's only part time and I'm a school teacher. Miss having a class...

Really hope we get a girl.... Funnily enough my eldest was the first boy in 28 years on my husbands side and now we've had 2 of them!! I'm also terrified at the thought of 3 kids!!!!!

lollylegs
January 2nd, 2013, 08:12 AM
I'm ok, thanks for asking. Really hoping to cycle again soon so can see what's happening (changed markedly after each prev pg).

Your poor sweet boys (and you) are in for a tough time. I can't imagine my mister 5 coping (he is excruciating with every scratch and prickle and bruise). I'm sure you're all in good hands. When you said short op I wrongly thought simple procedure (grommets or something) ..

My friends from the west always do some major damage shopping and eating here! Hope you enjoy!

What sort of teaching do you do? I returned to work recently only one day a week which is just right. My previous attempts to return to job at 2+ days were dismal failure in our household. We've got a bit of a commute starting school this year too so I'm grateful to be taking my sweet time in upping hours.

Funny your extended family spell of girls broken by you. My DH is from generation of boys (4 families all 2-3 boys each - getting together with cousins is always so testosterone-y). In someways it makes the DG/swaying somewhat harder. There is such open desire from grandparents/aunts/uncles and jibes about it during pg. plus I shudder to imagine the pink crap that would be bought (if successful, first girl both sides after 3 boys).. My SIL is expecting first baby in April (she's 40, ivf conception) so maybe she can take the pressure off. Though my other SIL is the epitome of the girl lifestyle, replete with drinking & smoking, so will see if their TTC come to fruition first. Can you hear my competitiveness?? Hoping the lack of calories might help with that!

Salsa
January 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Hi ladies,
Just popping in to share a bit of info.
I did the LE diet for about 6 months. I went too hardcore and lost too much weight and stopping ovulating!
So I had to loosen up on the diet to put on a couple of kgs and bam! After about 2 weeks of eating more cals, I fell pregnant. Still very early days though.
I found mountain bread wraps (the rice ones) so be low in a lot of things. I used to put half a lentil or chickpea pattie in it with cucumbers and mushrooms.
Also I had heaps of the rice cruskets with hommus and more cucumbers and mushrooms.
I ate some cheese, (making sure it stayed in the daily range or sodium and fat)
But I also ate heaps of lollies (natural confectionary brand) as these are empty cals so when I started loosing too much weight I upped the lollies, so I wasnt also upping unnecessary fats etc...
Skipping breakfast is really important. And no snacking between meals. Basically you want to keep your blood sugar levels down, and if you are loosing weight then this is happening.
I never minded too much about eating the same things, so I pretty much stuck to the same meal plan most days (it got a bit tough towards the end)
Good Luck!! x x x

Mummyx2
January 24th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hi salsa thank you for sharing :) the mountain bread ways sound yummy!! Congrats on the pregnancy! How far along are you? R u finding out the sex or will it be a surprise? Thank u again for your post x

Salsa
January 27th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Hi salsa thank you for sharing :) the mountain bread ways sound yummy!! Congrats on the pregnancy! How far along are you? R u finding out the sex or will it be a surprise? Thank u again for your post x

Hi Mummyx2,
Thanks, Im 8 weeks today. Feeling pretty awful with my worst morning sickness so far! Sooooo hard looking after the other 3 kids who are all still so young, 4 and under. Anyway, DH and my mum have been fantastic help, as I have pretty much had my head in a toilet for the last 3 weeks!
No we arent going to find out. We havent for any of ours, and as my husband says we cant change it!! lol we personally love the build up to it and the reward after labour and child birth of finding out then in that moment. We love that special moment!!
Good luck with your sway. Im guessing your swaying pink?

Goodus
January 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone. I've just discovered the mountain bread too Salsa! I've been having them last week for lunch. Not really starting my sway till 1st feb just doing trail runs. Today I did pig out a bit : P how much weight did you lose Salsa. I think I probably have 11 kg to spare till my lowest adult weight of 38-39 kg . And I'm Dtd in may so should be ok?

Goodus
January 27th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I've also discovered today Tazziki dip by food land has the lowest sodium. 100+ mg per 100g compared to others.

Mummyx2
January 28th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Hi Salsa :) you poor thing , that must be really tough.. Hopefully you will feel better by 12 weeks. Did you hsbe m/s with your boys? i felt a little sick with my boys but very rarely vomited. I have 2 boys 8 & 5 yrs, my youngest is going to school this year :( hope you are feeling better soon, looking forward to hearing your updates:) hi goodus dip sounds yummy is it from Coles or Safeway? 38-39kg is tiny! I've been on the diet for 3 weeks today & have lost 0.2kg :( 1200-1400 cals per day I normally loose weight quickly ( but thats when I'm eating high protein reg small meals & exercise) I'm currently 57 kg & 170 cms i was 55 kg when we got married & everyone said i was " too skinny" I'm going to eat less carbs & more salad but then it's really hard to meet required cals each day , good luck to u :) x

Salsa
January 28th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone. I've just discovered the mountain bread too Salsa! I've been having them last week for lunch. Not really starting my sway till 1st feb just doing trail runs. Today I did pig out a bit : P how much weight did you lose Salsa. I think I probably have 11 kg to spare till my lowest adult weight of 38-39 kg . And I'm Dtd in may so should be ok?

Im 173cm tall, and I ended up loosing 10kgs in the end. I got down to 56kgs (just too light for my height) and once I got back up to about 58/59kgs I fell pregnant! Hoping the months and months of intense LE diet still helped with my sway. But at the end of the day, I was never going to get pregnant at that weight. Atomic did say that if I was prepared to wait, my body would eventually start to O again at this low weight, but I wasnt prepared to wait!
So I certainly didnt throw it all in and eat crazy, I still skipped b/fast and remained vegetarian (now Im back eating meat for protein for my preg) but I increased my lunch and dinner meal sizes and relaxed about the whole thing (stopped obsessing over OPK's, I stopped doing these all together) basically, just tried to put it out of my mind, still used rephresh and aci jel DTD every other day, instead of FR leading up to O. Coz I had no idea when Id start O again, I didnt want to risk missing the egg and continue to put on unnecessary weight. My plan worked and I caught the egg at the first available moment. So will wait and see if the (looser) sway worked. I had to give up vitex and SP a month or so earlier as they were really messing with O aswell.
Basically, my body responded really sensitively to all my sway factors, I had no choice but to modify and pull back on things.

Salsa
January 28th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Hi Salsa :) you poor thing , that must be really tough.. Hopefully you will feel better by 12 weeks. Did you hsbe m/s with your boys? i felt a little sick with my boys but very rarely vomited. I have 2 boys 8 & 5 yrs, my youngest is going to school this year :( hope you are feeling better soon, looking forward to hearing your updates:) hi goodus dip sounds yummy is it from Coles or Safeway? 38-39kg is tiny! I've been on the diet for 3 weeks today & have lost 0.2kg :( 1200-1400 cals per day I normally loose weight quickly ( but thats when I'm eating high protein reg small meals & exercise) I'm currently 57 kg & 170 cms i was 55 kg when we got married & everyone said i was " too skinny" I'm going to eat less carbs & more salad but then it's really hard to meet required cals each day , good luck to u :) x

Basically you want to be your lightest weight when you conceive. So I have been about 65kgs for all my other pregnancies when I conceived, but this one has by far been my lighted weight at conception at 58kgs. 39kgs is TINY! and so it 55kgs for 170!
My oldest is starting kindy this yr!! I cant believe how quickly time flies!! I'll miss her and so will her younger brothers. They play so well (most of the time together) I had no MS with DS1 and bad MS but only for 3 wks with DS2. However I had MS with DD for about 7 weeks, but rarely vomited. Just felt terrible. This time, im alot worse, so will be interesting to see if its a boy or girl!