PDA

View Full Version : D&C or natural?

squamgirl
January 2nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hello-
I have been spotting for a week and a half and my ultrasound today showed a fetal pole that measured 7w 2d, even though I'm 8w 5d.

I had a miscarriage eight years ago and had a D&C. I don't know if I should do a D&C again or let it happen on its own.

Would you mind sharing your experiences with both?

Thank you!

The Anchor
January 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
I had a natural m/c in October at 12 weeks. The whole ordeal lasted about a day. It was pretty traumatic, but I guess it would have been if I'd had a d&c as well. My doc said she didn't think I needed a d&c, so I did it "on my own", so to speak. Sorry you're going through this, it's so HARD...hugs.

rainbowflower
January 2nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
so sorry, I lost a baby 2 years ago and opted for medical management. I didn't want to wait for it to happen naturally, but I didn't like the thought of them scraping around in there either so I went for the middle ground. I was a bit further along than you and it was quite traumatic and painful, more painful than actual labour IMO. The traumatic bit was all the blood (also more than my heaviest period and more than I've had post-birth since) and that the baby was big enough that I felt (and saw) it pass into the toilet then had to flush, although I'm aware that in some hospitals they keep you in and make you pass everything there I was allowed to go home for that part. It was good being at home, though, and over quickly with less risk of damage than a D&C.

HopefulMonster
January 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
I had a d&c twice for mmc's and I don't regret my decision, and it didn't affect my ability to get pregnant or give birth, in fact I had a kick ass labour considering!

I didn't want to spot and bleed for weeks then to have an incomplete miscarriage and end up needing a d&c anyway. I just wanted it over with so I could move on and ttc again. I don't mean to sound heartless, as it's really sad and I do feel really sorry that you have to go through it again. For me, I couldn't move on until it was over. I hated waiting for it to fully happen, was too upset and mithered to leave the house or anything, so decided to have the procedure.

My mum is actually a midwife and she told me not to use the medical abortion pill because she felt it was unnecessarily traumatic and wouldn't wish it on anyone let alone her daughter, though I was just 21 at the time if that makes any difference. She really pushed me to have a d&c and I'm really thankful she did.

Whatever you decide, I really hope that it goes well and you are ok and when you feel ready, conceive a really good sticky bean right away xxxxxxx

Cinss
January 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and was told my baby had no heartbeat and would mc, i decided to let it come out naturally mainly because i am terrified of being put under anisthetic and having that particular procedure, i just find it to be terribly intimate, and there was a part of me hoping that my pregnancy was going to be viable. The mc happened 3 weeks later and it was really painful but if it happened to me again i would do the same thing.

squamgirl
January 3rd, 2013, 12:32 AM
Cinss- my first mc was similar. I found out at 8.5 weeks that the baby had stopped developing at 8 weeks. I was worried about having a d&c and aborting a viable baby, so I waited. Three weeks later the mc started on its own. But then I had the d&c because I was scared to be losing blood and possibly pass out while home alone with a 2 year old. I wanted to take care of it in a controlled environment.

This time I was worried about complications from the d&c. It looks like I'm going natural anyway. The soonest the dr could get me in is Friday morning. But the bleeding and cramping started in earnest this afternoon. So it's kind of a moot point now anyway. I'll go in next week for an u/s to make sure everything has passed. It's been a really rough evening... it hurt like you wouldn't believe. DH has been by my side, bringing me water, advil and ice cream. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight and tomorrow will go well. I need to be strong tomorrow for my boys. They are older and were very excited for the baby. It was heartbreaking to tell them about the mc tonight.

Thank you all for the stories you've shared. I appreciate having the support and being able to share my thoughts also.

Good night....

mummyof3boys
January 3rd, 2013, 01:09 AM
I am literally still in the process of my m/c
And I'm camping !
I have had 3 mc now 1st natural didn't have an option as I bled and by the time I got u/s it was all out 2nd had dnc as baby stopped growing had no bleeding and am literally still in the prowess of m/c naturally as Started bleeding 2days ago went for u/s yes morn had lost another baby:( and was on my way up to go camping with my family that had been planned this time last yr so I decided to still do that and let my body do what it has to and will have another u/s when I get back to make sure it all came out.... As for what was better none if I could have had a dnc yes morn there n then I prob would have but didn't want to wait around in hospital and ruin my boys holiday anyway good luck