PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever had an HSG? *Update and a new question*

sweetpea
January 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM
My younger sister is having a hard time getting pregnant, and will have an HSG scheduled during her next cycle. She's worried because she's heard that the procedure is extremely painful, and she just want to know what to expect. Has anyone been through this before? If so, would you mind sharing your experience?

Wanting-a-girl
January 9th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I have watched this test preformed a couple of times and none of the woman looked uncomfortable or said it was

girly
January 9th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I recently had one done and it just feels like a pap smear, just uncomfortable.

sweetpea
January 10th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Thank you both for your replies! I'll pass along this info to my sister, hopefully it will calm her nerves a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BeadinMom
January 10th, 2013, 12:58 AM
I had one done recently, too...
Very minor discomfort. Please tell her not to worry.
My doctor did suggest I take some ibuprofen beforehand...was glad I did.
You are so sweet to be so concerned about her...she's very lucky to have you!!

BeadinMom
January 10th, 2013, 12:59 AM
I had one done recently, too...
Very minor discomfort. Please tell her not to worry.
My doctor did suggest I take some ibuprofen beforehand...was glad I did.
You are so sweet to be so concerned about her...she's very lucky to have you!!

sweetpea
January 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you all for replies! I did relay this info to my sister, and while she was still nervous, she was so happy to hear your responses.

Update on her: She did have her HSG done, as well as an ultrasound and pelvic exam. They found that her ovaries looked really good, her uterus is tipped, and her right tube is completely blocked. The dye from the HSG wouldn't push the blockage out, so now she has to meet with her doctor to see what her next steps are. Has this happened to anyone else? What is the normal procedure to unblock a fallopian tube? I'm sure she'll get all the answers she needs at her next appointment, but that isn't for another few weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone here has experienced this and/or knows what would happen next...

sweetpea
February 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Another quick update. My sister just called me to tell me how her follow up appt went. Basically, her doctor thinks it's too risky to go in and unblock her right tube, so she's prescribing my sister Clomid. She's already ovulating, but the doctor is hoping the Clomid might make her ovulate from her left side, where the tube is completely clear. She's only putting her on the lowest dose too, 50 mg. What do you think of this treatment plan? I thought it sounded weird, considering it's not fixing the blocked tube problem. Is this a normal plan for someone in my sister's situation?

Rainbow baby
February 22nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
You only need one tube to get pregnant! Makes sense to me! GL to your sister!

stacey221958
March 3rd, 2013, 01:07 AM
Thank you all for replies! I did relay this info to my sister, and while she was still nervous, she was so happy to hear your responses.

Update on her: She did have her HSG done, as well as an ultrasound and pelvic exam. They found that her ovaries looked really good, her uterus is tipped, and her right tube is completely blocked. The dye from the HSG wouldn't push the blockage out, so now she has to meet with her doctor to see what her next steps are. Has this happened to anyone else? What is the normal procedure to unblock a fallopian tube? I'm sure she'll get all the answers she needs at her next appointment, but that isn't for another few weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone here has experienced this and/or knows what would happen next...

My uterus was tipped when I got pregnant with my first son. He corrected it as he grew. As you can see from my siggie I moved on from IVF/PGD and had a HSG done and found my tube to be completely blocked and they said they wouldnt try to unblock it. First IUI and we got pregnant with TWINS and with one tube! So it can happen. :)

stacey221958
March 3rd, 2013, 01:22 AM
Another quick update. My sister just called me to tell me how her follow up appt went. Basically, her doctor thinks it's too risky to go in and unblock her right tube, so she's prescribing my sister Clomid. She's already ovulating, but the doctor is hoping the Clomid might make her ovulate from her left side, where the tube is completely clear. She's only putting her on the lowest dose too, 50 mg. What do you think of this treatment plan? I thought it sounded weird, considering it's not fixing the blocked tube problem. Is this a normal plan for someone in my sister's situation?

I had been put on Clomid for a couple of cycles but unfortunately I ovulated from my blocked side each time so we moved on to injectables. Seemed to be that my right ovary was the dominant one. It won't fix the tube problem but they hope that it will release an egg from each side. For me, the Clomid only had me produce one egg on the wrong side.