PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre question, so I do apologize! Sperm viability that is kept outside the body?

suregena
April 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I was reading this thread: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?490-Lower-sperm-count-favors-females..-some-rambling

And I was wondering... what happens with sperm outside of the body? If it is "out in the open, in air" too long, does it just make it flat-out no good? Do you think such a thing would favor girls? Are there any studies on this? Anyone have any idea?

nuthinbutpink
April 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I know pH rises when it is exposed to the air from my research on IVF.

atomic sagebrush
April 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Sperm outside the body lives for a few minutes to a few hours depending on the environment - if you keep it at body temp and keep it from drying it lives longer.

Some of the sperm will die off during this time, so I tend to think it sways pink, but the pH does rise (probably trying to keep the sperm alive for longer LOL)

Babushka
April 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have noticed when testing my partner's sperm ph with Hanna that the ph starts to rise and rise! We were wondering why that it is and I was even blaming him for such a high ph! Poor guy!! I think I will stick to the initial reading from now on and not the final reading (there really isn't one as it does tend to keep rising!). Thanks for posting this! :)

Tulips
April 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I know when we did sperm testing and I had to deliver my DH's to the lab they said it had to get there within an hour for the sample to be any good. I popped it in my bra but it still took me 40mins to get there. His sperm test came back as excellent in all areas - no wonder we have boys!

Babushka
April 9th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Tulips, thanks for posting that. We did tbm last month and after a few minutes I was freaking out that they would all be dead!