PDA

View Full Version : At what stage of pregnancy will you start sorting baby stuff, clothes into drawers, nursery etc ?

Mum23boys
January 12th, 2013, 06:35 AM
We are not having a nursery as such but the spare room will house all the baby stuff just in the drwers that are already there. We will be leaving it as a spare room for visitors with the bed etc in there unntil bubs needs it for itself at like 6 months old in which case we will then swap the bed for a cot but we wont be decorating it like a nursery as they just grow up so fast we dont see the point plus we really cant afford to so we are trying to be practical but i am wondering when i should start sorting it out -when i should start clearing out the drawers, making space, re arranging furniture, getting all the baby stuff from the lost etc. Part of me thinks after our 20 week scan as then i can still fit in the loft !! Part of me thinks nearer 30 weeks + would be better as i dont need to rush it AND PART OF ME THINKS START NOW AS as i work full time and hardly have 10 mins spare at a time even when not working so might be better to start now doing 1 drawer at a time etc - the stuff in the loft is going to take atleast a week alone to sort out !!

Just wondered when everyone else will be starting ?

cvd
January 12th, 2013, 07:51 AM
We started right when we found out!! Our spare room was used as our "storage room" which is now going to be DS1s room! So as soon as we found out we started organizing, clearing out, buying baby things we needed again (swing, bassinet etc) waited till later -maybe 10 weeks - for our bigger purchases (double stroller etc). Now in the room is just baby stuff! We are about to move on to painting probably in February :) our nursery is staying as is. It's a teal colour with safari theme, works for this babe too so not redoing any of it! Might change some of the wall decals though! Clothes I've already gone through as well since finding out about DS2. I always need to be super organized hehe. I assume the rooms will be complete in about a month!

Mommyof3boys
January 12th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Our oldest is moving into a bedroom downstairs and the new baby is moving into his room upstairs. I am in classes that finish in 5 weeks so we will start organizing it all after that. We don't find out what we are having so we won't do very much to the baby's room ahead of time but we will need to paint the room and make curtains for ds1 room. We also only have a crib for this baby so I will probably start buying baby stuff around the same time. So I guess we will start working on it around 20 weeks which is around the time my classes get out.

mydream
January 12th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Started a few things after 20 weeks.. And then at around 32 weeks or so picked up the pace :)

my4leafclover
January 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I's say 5 or 6 months. We ds#4's room is now our office/computer room, so we have to figure out what do do with all of that stuff first.

Mum23boys
January 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM
We started right when we found out!! Our spare room was used as our "storage room" which is now going to be DS1s room! So as soon as we found out we started organizing, clearing out, buying baby things we needed again (swing, bassinet etc) waited till later -maybe 10 weeks - for our bigger purchases (double stroller etc). Now in the room is just baby stuff! We are about to move on to painting probably in February :) our nursery is staying as is. It's a teal colour with safari theme, works for this babe too so not redoing any of it! Might change some of the wall decals though! Clothes I've already gone through as well since finding out about DS2. I always need to be super organized hehe. I assume the rooms will be complete in about a month!

Im like you I sooooo need to be organised - drives my hubby mad as he is a very last minute man - he doesnt see why im itching to get started but i have like OCD in that if i know something needs doing i need it doing now - I cant bare knowing something needs doing but leaving it.
Also our spare room that will be where the baby stuff goes is full of all our junk too - the bed is piled high with stuff the cupboards and drawers full of stuff so i need to clear it all out get it all up in the loft then start bringing the baby stuff down from the loft and sorting it out seeing wehat we have, what needs replacing etc and I know its going to take time - what with working full time and having 3 young kids i think the most ill manage is an hour an week probably at the weekend so I figured i might start tomorrow clearing out some of the drawers - just pile it onto the bed with the other stuff then atleast everything will be empty and that will make me feel better !! ha ha I just know after an hour ill be knackered too and loose motivation so its going to be a long process.
Just wish we were having a proper nursery but know its just not practical as although the baby will eventually sleep in there it also needs to be converted to an office space for the boys to do homework and hubby to do work in so would be pointless painting etc.

coocoobananas
January 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Should I maybe get on this lol?!? Darn you pininterest for giving me too many ideas!!! At least I don't have to paint, although I'd like to change the theme! But have had a hard time coming to a final decision!!

cvd
January 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Im like you I sooooo need to be organised - drives my hubby mad as he is a very last minute man - he doesnt see why im itching to get started but i have like OCD in that if i know something needs doing i need it doing now - I cant bare knowing something needs doing but leaving it.
Also our spare room that will be where the baby stuff goes is full of all our junk too - the bed is piled high with stuff the cupboards and drawers full of stuff so i need to clear it all out get it all up in the loft then start bringing the baby stuff down from the loft and sorting it out seeing wehat we have, what needs replacing etc and I know its going to take time - what with working full time and having 3 young kids i think the most ill manage is an hour an week probably at the weekend so I figured i might start tomorrow clearing out some of the drawers - just pile it onto the bed with the other stuff then atleast everything will be empty and that will make me feel better !! ha ha I just know after an hour ill be knackered too and loose motivation so its going to be a long process.
Just wish we were having a proper nursery but know its just not practical as although the baby will eventually sleep in there it also needs to be converted to an office space for the boys to do homework and hubby to do work in so would be pointless painting etc.
Yes that's what I'd probably be doing if I was in your situation - just do a bit here and there so it's atleast getting done! I HATE knowing there's something to be done/bought etc. It also drives my husband insane!!! Like tomorrow we are going to go buy DS a twin bed - I have NOOO intention of taking him out of the crib anytime soon but I just need to get it so I know I'm ready and it's DONE. LOL! I'd say it's like OCD for me too. I sit back and just laugh sometimes!

Dreamofpink
January 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I'm not even pg yet but have started to get the spare room in a useable state. We won't decorate until we have a bfp but I bought the wallpaper a year ago when a local decorating shop closed down due to retirement. We paid £6 for 6 rolls and it's a lovely cream paper with kites, balls, stars and other baby-ish pics on it. I can't wait to get the wallpapering stuff out! I just don't want to start until I have good reason to!
Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

Mum23boys
January 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
well i started i emptied all the drawers from one unit on to the bed and have ordered some vacum bags so i can store them in the loft :-) That was enough - i then got bored and felt tired !! ha ha will take another look tomorrow..

aroundtheworld
January 18th, 2013, 12:24 AM
We will begin soon. I'm creeping up on 19 weeks, so I think it's about time to get started. We will definitely be having a couple of baby showers this go-around, so getting and organizing everything will come little bits at a time. We've already begun buying double of each item of clothing (I have almost no clothes left from when my 9 year old daughter was a baby) and various other items. I want to begin on the nursery, but we have to move our 3 year old son out of the room he sleeps in (which will be the babies' room) and into a room with his older brother first. We plan to do that this weekend. We'll probably paint in the next few weeks and start decorating. I've never had a really cute nursery before, so I'm excited to get started!

Atsaukina1
January 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
don't have nursery or crib and just need to wash cloth diapers and what baby clothes I kept from big brother so I would do that in the 3rd trimester probably when I started gettign hb supplies and everything together:)

Praying4Pink
January 22nd, 2013, 09:21 AM
Uggh I have been putting the thought of this off for a while now. Mainly because we don't know if the baby is a boy or girl yet. That will determine the sleeping arrangements later on. Also we are big into baby showers so I know I will either have to get rid of a bunch of boy stuff (if baby #2 is a girl) or wash a whole bunch of boy stuff (if baby #2 is a boy). So much to think about so little time, lol. I find out next Tuesday and then I am going to hit the ground running...promise, lol.

Pearl327
January 23rd, 2013, 04:06 AM
considering our small bedroom, which we use a a nursery has been used as a storage room since we moved DD into one of the bigger bedrooms so she has more space for her toys and clothes. We would want to get started pretty soon. We have the main things furniture wise and we do a pass it on around the family for baby clothes that gets added to with each new arrival, so I currently have no baby clothes in the house ( except for one really cute red, gray and white pooh bear newborn set that I couldn't resist). I should be getting the clothes back in March/April some time. I am also knitting a white baby cardigan at the min for the 1st clothes in the labour bag.

I have a need for everything to be ready early this time. I have already started gathering bits and pieces together for my labour bag. With DD I had the nursery furniture delivered a week before my due date and wasn't concerned by that at all.

RKT Mama
January 24th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Am I the only one that will start at 36 weeks? Amywhere before that the baby won't come home with me anyway so I'll have a few days to prepare if needed.
This is baby number 4. Have learnt by now all they need is a place to sleep, something on their bum and a few clothes.

Mommyof3boys
January 24th, 2013, 04:46 PM
RKT Mama my original plans were to move my oldest downstairs and give the baby his room,but we have since then decided not to do that so that I can prepare a room downstairs so i can babysit instead of go back to work so now we don't have a room to prepare at all. My sister is driving me CRAZY trying to get me to go shopping and even picked out cars eats and tagged them to my FB. I told her the other day that I am not even thinking about shopping until May (baby due in June) so she would leave me alone and at this point that is my plan. I agree that you don't need much. up until the week before ds3 was born we only had a baby bath and a playpen and then I bought a car seat when the dr told me I was dilated to 3cm. When we brought him home that is all we had. I didn't even buy diapers because ds2 never wore a newborn size because he was huge and I didn't want to buy the wrong size. Right now we have 2 playpens and a crib and probably won't purchase anything for quite awhile.

RKT Mama
January 25th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Glad I'm not the only one not preparing my nursery

aroundtheworld
January 25th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I'm working on my fifth (and sixth!) child and while I certainly understand that babies don't need a nursery, decorations, etc, many of us are just happy and excited to have the opportunity to be creative and prepare a space for baby that is special. It's all about personal preference. :)

Atsaukina1
January 26th, 2013, 04:22 PM
my kids have been 10+lbs. and over and still fit in nb diapers for a lil while how big were yours lol.

Mommyof3boys
January 26th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Ds1 was 8 lb 1 oz. he's wore NB for awhile. Ds2 was 8lb 9oz. They put one one him when he was born then brought in size 1 because they were really tight. Ds3 was 8lb 15.3 oz and they tried one but it was too small so they put the size ones on instead. With the exception of ds2 my boys were all pretty short though ds3 was only 19.5 inches. He was soooo chubby.

Princess of Pink
January 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I started buy things for baby #6 a year ago and I haven't started TTC yet!! LOL I have OCD I think! I have bought crib, stroller, car seat, bouncy seat, portacot, and a few other little bits. Depends on babies gender where it will sleep later on so I have to wait to get pregnant and find out sex to work on a room!

cvd
January 26th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I started buy things for baby #6 a year ago and I haven't started TTC yet!! LOL I have OCD I think! I have bought crib, stroller, car seat, bouncy seat, portacot, and a few other little bits. Depends on babies gender where it will sleep later on so I have to wait to get pregnant and find out sex to work on a room!

Here I loved reading this! I also bought stuff before being pregnant - and as we speak we are in the process of painting DS1s new room this weekend and finishing it, although we have NO plans of moving him for a long while!!!!! He still sleeps great in the crib but I just HAD to get his room finished this weekend.

Mum23boys
January 26th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Well DH is buying the only new baby item we will have and thats my co sleeping troll bedside crib to HOPEFULLY make night time feeds easier for me being off work for such a short time im going to need all the sleep I can get . Its my birthday present and I love it - height adjustable to fit right next to me next to my bed - something i didnt have with the others. anything else i think we have , car seat, buggy, clothes etc and baby isnt having its own room as such though we will wheel it into the spare room for naps etc and that will eventually be a nursery but that will be my husbands project when the baby is 3-4months old and ready to go in there - until then it will remain a spare room for guests just that all the drawers wardrobe will be full of baby stuff :-)

Mum23boys
March 12th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Well 18 weeks now and still not done a thing !! ha ha - Good intentions and all that - Though i did get up in the loft a few weeks back and put any baby bits i could find into a pile so that when the time comes I can just bring it all down and wash it - put it all away etc. The room is so small i dont think i can do it before about 38 weeks as we use the room currently for haging wet washing up and general storgae plus Im sure one of my cats is pregnant so need to wait 6 weeks to see if she gives birth before i start worrying about anything else. Though today is a snow day here in the uk so i have the day off as non of my mindees could get here so i was thinking maybe id start getting some bits down and finding homes for them...... Hmmm or maybe ill just oush my new buggy around the house a few more times !! ha ha

iluvmy4sons
March 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I hope in another month we will have the bunk beds bought for Conor who is 7 and Carson who will be 4. They will be sharing a room. The crib we are using is a toddler bed now so we just have to put it back as a crib. The room is staying a sage green and finding bedding to go with that. I am buying clothes and will wash them when I move Carson's clothes out of the drawers.

aroundtheworld
March 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
I've hung up a lot of clothes already and have begun decorating the nursery. We're mainly waiting until after our two baby showers that are in two weeks to really get moving. Hopefully we'll have the two cribs we registered for soon and can put those up. :) Also, DH and I are restoring an old dresser for the girls and that will have to happen soon as well. Lots on the to-do list, but I have started the process at least!