PDA

View Full Version : I had my gender ultrasound today...

aroundtheworld
January 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I walked into the sonogram room, laid down on the table, the tech put the wand up to my stomach and as an image appeared on the screen, my first reaction was, "Something is different." She immediately proclaimed, "Do you see what I'm seeing??" I said, "What?" She replied, "There are two!" I said, "Oh my gosh... there are two! Those are TWINS! I'm having TWINS!" I started bawling- I couldn't help it. She left the room to "give me a minute" and I continued to cry and then laugh hysterically! :giggle: My husband was in quiet shock. haha

We'd told the tech prior to the sonogram that we wanted her to write down the gender and put it into the envelope we'd given to her, then we'd open it later at home. We've done this with every child at every sonogram. She had us cover our eyes while she determined the sexes, then we resumed watching the babies on screen. I started questioning her about how techs can tell if twins are identical or fraternal... then I realized I shouldn't ask that so that I didn't get any clues. But she went ahead and pointed out the membrane on screen and said, "Do you see this? See how it's wispy? That's a good indicator that the twins are identical." So, of course, at that point I knew that both babies were the same sex. Right after this, my son Jasper said, "I bet they're both boys". Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the tech smile really big. In my mind, that confirmed to me that I was carrying two boys. I was a little sad, but how can one truly be disappointed when having two babies!

When we got home this evening, my husband and I were sitting on the couch and I told him I was opening the envelope that contained the babies' genders because I couldn't stand it anymore. I slipped out the folded piece of paper and this is what it said:

"Baby A and Baby B...

We are both GIRLS!!"

Talk about the most insanely glorious shock of my entire life! I am having twin girls! This is a fairy tale even I couldn't have conjured up on my own. I'm so happy I don't know what to do with myself... I just keep randomly blurting out, "Oh my gosh!" They appear healthy and are measuring close together and on time with my due date. I am on cloud 9 like never before! :HH: Praise God Almighty for such a blessing!

Mommyof3boys
January 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Congratulations!! What a great surprise.

Jadis
January 12th, 2013, 10:34 PM
OMG! That's amazing...what an incredible story. A million congrats to you!

WantingPink
January 12th, 2013, 10:34 PM
What a great and wonderful surprise. Did you have an ultrasound earlier than todays? I would be over the moon if I were you!! Congrats and hope they are healthy!!

Wanting-a-girl
January 12th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Omg! So happy for you! Congrats on ur little girls

aroundtheworld
January 12th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks y'all! No, I had not had an US prior to today. As a matter of fact, we wouldn't have had one at all this pregnancy if we hadn't have opted to do one on our own, purely for the purpose of gender reveal (my midwife would not have ordered one). Ha!

Cinss
January 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM
This is such a cool post, i am smiling ear to ear for you, wow what a great experience, you deserve it! Congrats on the TWIN GIRLS oh my gosh!!!!

WantingPink
January 12th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks y'all! No, I had not had an US prior to today. As a matter of fact, we wouldn't have had one at all this pregnancy if we hadn't have opted to do one on our own, purely for the purpose of gender reveal (my midwife would not have ordered one). Ha!

Well your midwife would have had quite a surprise at delivery!! Congrats again on your wonderful surprise!!

Violet_
January 12th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Oh my goodness. This is the best post ever! So flipping wonderful. A huge congratulations to both you and hubby.

coocoobananas
January 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
So cool! What a dream come true for you! Did you sway at all or was it just a fluke and twins?!?

aroundtheworld
January 12th, 2013, 11:56 PM
So cool! What a dream come true for you! Did you sway at all or was it just a fluke and twins?!?

We did not sway and we did not plan these babies. We had plans to sway girl in the future, but that was not even on our minds at the time.

coocoobananas
January 13th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Wow! Very cool;)

mydream
January 13th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Wow!! What great news!!

fairyfrog
January 13th, 2013, 12:31 AM
This is so AWESOME! Congratulations and hoping a happy, healthy pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and babies!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:: cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::c heer::cheer:

BabyCakesTor
January 13th, 2013, 01:36 AM
That's so awesome!!! Now you will have 3 of each!!!!

Butterfly Spirit
January 13th, 2013, 04:44 AM
:cheer: FABULOUS NEWS! What a sweet dream come true! :cheer:

Are you guys going to do a gender reveal party your family? It would be funny if you brought out a box with a 'Just Kidding' reveal.. and then say here's the real result.. and then go crazy with that one..

Or bring out 2 wrapped boxes and act clueless and then unwrap them for the outside of the box to say: Baby A and Baby B

Or just one box to unwrap saying "WE Are Both Girls!"

Ahh I can think of many fun ways to reveal twins! :)

thehappypixi
January 13th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Amazing, congratulations! That would be my absolute dream :)

thehappypixi
January 13th, 2013, 05:16 AM
:cheer: FABULOUS NEWS! What a sweet dream come true! :cheer:

Are you guys going to do a gender reveal party your family? It would be funny if you brought out a box with a 'Just Kidding' reveal.. and then say here's the real result.. and then go crazy with that one..

Or bring out 2 wrapped boxes and act clueless and then unwrap them for the outside of the box to say: Baby A and Baby B

Haha I would just wait till they are born, cue confused faces and just say it was buy one get one free ROFL!

Mbmk
January 13th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Soon awesome!! What a great gift xx

Princess of Pink
January 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Thats is so amazing...massive congrats!!

nuthinbutpink
January 13th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Wow! Congrats! Why would your midwife not order any ultrasounds...this very reason seems like from a medical standpoint, one should be aware of the situation. This puts you into a different category of higher risk so I would think she may want to be aware and you too!

heidih1977
January 13th, 2013, 07:11 AM
huge congrats....what brilliant news!!!

rainbowflower
January 13th, 2013, 07:21 AM
congratulations!! you're so lucky :)

Atsaukina1
January 13th, 2013, 09:19 AM
congratualtions!!! is this a hb midwife? are you still going to be able to deliver at home if so? I am happy that my mw has done many twins before but I know not all states allow it or mw do it. I hope so fx for you. were you having any super extra symptoms or just reg. prego like your previous ones? guess I'll tell my mw if she finds one hb to keep checking for another jic lol as we don't do sonograms:)

Mum23boys
January 13th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Am so incredibly pleased for you and i hope i dont bring a downer on it when i say your post made me cry - you have just been given my dream and it did make me cry probably because my dream was taken from me but honestly I am so so pleased for you. Youhave been truly blessed. Cngratulations

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Well, I have wanted to do a gender reveal very much, but we live 3 hours away from my family/friends and now that we know we're having twins, we honestly really need a baby shower or two. I do have a little girl who is 9 years old, but I only have a single small box of clothes from when she was young (I only kept my favorites), so not only do I need girl clothes, but I need DOUBLE the girl clothes! Not to mention double of a few others items. So, knowing this, I simply can't have all of these parties... and expect my family/friends to be able to attend them all. And, honestly, it'd be a strain for us to have to make our way 3 hours south that many times within the next few months. Does that make sense?

As an alternative, DH and I have decided we'll do a couple of mini reveals. My sister is throwing me a 30th birthday party in 3 weeks and I plan to tell my friends at the party. We'll also be getting together for lunch or dinner with mine and my husband's families while down for the weekend, and we'll do a little reveal with them too. We've decided to do it this way:

Take a pool of what everyone thinks the gender of our baby is. Afterward, we'll hand each person a filled blue or pink balloon (according to what they think "baby" is) and a safety pin, explaining, "Each balloon has a small slip of folded paper inside. Inside the paper will be a pink or blue heart sticker. When you pop the balloon, open the paper to reveal if we're having a girl or a boy."

Instead of a single heart, they'll see two pink, identical hearts with "#1" and "#2" written inside them.

I think it'll be a shock and a fantastic surprise! :)

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Wow! Congrats! Why would your midwife not order any ultrasounds...this very reason seems like from a medical standpoint, one should be aware of the situation. This puts you into a different category of higher risk so I would think she may want to be aware and you too!

Many midwives do not order sonograms. There is much question with many people as to their safety. And, eventually, I think twins kind of reveal themselves during exams and what not.

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I currently reside in a state where, unfortunately, it's illegal for licensed midwives to attend twin homebirths. However, there are ways around this without technically breaking the law. I will just say that everything is under control. ;) We are weighing our options, but I believe that I will still have the opportunity to deliver in A home, if not MY home.

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Am so incredibly pleased for you and i hope i dont bring a downer on it when i say your post made me cry - you have just been given my dream and it did make me cry probably because my dream was taken from me but honestly I am so so pleased for you. Youhave been truly blessed. Cngratulations

It is not a downer. I absolutely cannot fault you in any way for feeling how you do. And I do not want my posts to hurt you. I care very much about your situation and I want to be sensitive to your feelings.

Thank you very much for the congratulations. It means a lot. :kissy:

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Ultrasound images of my girls! Ack, I love saying that! :giggle:

http://s1.postimage.org/m0zowce7f/photo_11.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/m0zowce7f/)

http://s1.postimage.org/9avgj9697/photo_12.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/9avgj9697/)

http://s9.postimage.org/eje6f45ln/photo_13.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/eje6f45ln/)

Justjessica
January 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM
That's amazing! Massive congratulations. So thrilled for you and your family.

SophiaRose
January 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Wonderful! xx

Bigwish
January 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Wow, you must be over the moon with two little, precious girls growing inside your womb! It is my biggest wish that a tech would say that to me, someday...

Congrats!

hopingforsaskia
January 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Ohh how amazing!!!! Good for you! So wonderful! Congratulations. :HH:

NearlyDone
January 13th, 2013, 04:33 PM
wow did you supect at all? are you bigger ect

Typical_Jules
January 13th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Oh wow!!! It's my dream to have twins as well :) I can only imagine!!!!! What a blessing!!!!! Congrats :)

The Anchor
January 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
OMG!!! That is AWESOME, CONGRATS on your DAUGHTERS!

Bimby
January 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Wow!! That's great news, congratulations!!! :)

Butterfly Spirit
January 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Haha I would just wait till they are born, cue confused faces and just say it was buy one get one free ROFL!

That is a CUTE idea too! I remember one dad on youtube did that with his twins at the hospital... I'll have to find the video. It was SO cute!

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM
wow did you supect at all? are you bigger ect

During the first trimester, I kept telling my husband, "I swear, I'm having twins. Something is different." But the further along I got, the less I believed it because I'm not big and there are no obvious differences from my other pregnancies. I just had a very strong hunch in the beginning... and then I talked myself out of it. lol I definitely wasn't expecting twins at the ultrasound- I was expecting a single little baby boy, maybe a girl. Definitely not twins and certainly NOT twin girls!

aroundtheworld
January 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your very sweet and thoughtful congratulations. I am appreciative of your kindness. :bighug:

cvd
January 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Huge huge huge congrats!!! How exciting!!!!

Rosie85
January 13th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Congrats! That is awesome! Yay!

Rainbow baby
January 13th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Omg I am like the green eyed monster right now! you have just lived and are about to live my dream!! Such a very lucky lady. A big congratz to you and your family! Hope the rest of your pg is trouble free and your two little Twincess's arrive here safe and sound!!!Ps Cute pics!

EmmyRoo
January 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
What a fantastic story! I'm getting emotional just reading it! HUGE congratulations!
x

tangiblewishes
January 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM
That is awesome! Congrats!

ber_waves_of
January 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
OMGosh! What an amazing surprise! Congrats! <3

4 blues~hopingforpink~
January 18th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Congrats!! Thats so awesome... Two surprises in one ultrasound!!

Sara200884
January 22nd, 2013, 06:53 AM
Wow absolutely amazing and would have been my dream come true you lucky thing xxxx

kelseypie601
January 30th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Congratulations to you...how wonderful

Atsaukina1
February 1st, 2013, 06:11 PM
I was telling my mw about you today and of course she asked "she didn't measure big" lol. she said people had def. had twin surprises. i told her she better be checking me when i get further along jic lol

craftymom
February 1st, 2013, 09:58 PM
What an amazing surprise! Congrats! :)

Maple
February 3rd, 2013, 02:02 AM
Congratulations!

Twin girls would be awesome : ) I am hoping I can join you, although I cant imagine being so lucky!

Enjoy! XX