PDA

View Full Version : Potassium supplement

ELP
April 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM
One of the things all diets agree on is potassium for a boy, is it a good idea to be taking a supplement? I am trying to get enough from food but the cupboards are a bit bare here atm so I'm thinking of it as a good back up plan.

begonia
April 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
ELP I don't think it hurts, but what you can get from a supp just pales in comparison to what you get from food.... it would be way too much to get the amount recommended by supps alone.

TTC5
April 8th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I take a supp too x

atomic sagebrush
April 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM
One of the things all diets agree on is potassium for a boy, is it a good idea to be taking a supplement? I am trying to get enough from food but the cupboards are a bit bare here atm so I'm thinking of it as a good back up plan.

I don't love you guys taking potassium supplements because potassium is very easy to get from food and potassium can actually harm you if taken too often. However, I do take one from time to time when my blood pressure goes up so I know that it is safe in small amounts - my pills are very small amounts, only 1% of the daily amount. If you were to take one or two of those a day it would help increase your intake but PLEASE do not go overboard on this. Some people genetically have trouble excreting potassium anyway and you can make yourself very sick by taking too much potassium.

ELP
April 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Luckily I went shopping last night so I was able to stock up on some good potassium foods instead:agree:

TTC5
April 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I take 99 mg a day is this ok?

atomic sagebrush
April 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The FDA bans any pills that are more than 99 mg so that makes me think that 99 mg is ~probably~ ok.

I would really prefer that you didn't take this much and got most of your potassium from diet, BUT if you are taking it and suffering no ill effects, you can continue if you really really want to.

Whatever you do, don't stop taking it suddenly, if you do want to cut back please do it slowly. The weird thing about potassium is that you can actually end up giving yourself dangerously low potassium, because your body gets overzealous about excreting the potassium and makes your levels drop too low. Two big risks of this are being low in magnesium and taking diuretics (sodium is a diuretic). So please be careful if you do decide to cut back, give it several weeks.

TTC5
April 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Oh no... I ran out just a few days ago and both DH and I stopped :S

We do feel fine though? Should we be worried? I am hoping to get more tomorrow!!

TTC5
April 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
What could I eat to give me the amount I would need daily?

Flava
April 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I take 99 mg a day is this ok?

I do the same and it's ok to take, but no more.

atomic sagebrush
April 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Oh no... I ran out just a few days ago and both DH and I stopped :S

We do feel fine though? Should we be worried? I am hoping to get more tomorrow!!

If your heart isn't beating funny then you're all right! I do hope you get some more and taper off more slowly. It's never good to quit any vitamin/mineral cold turkey, especially such a critical one.

atomic sagebrush
April 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
What could I eat to give me the amount I would need daily?

The boy diet probably did a lot to help you guys already, because there is lots of good potassium in there.

TTC5
April 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
No heart palps nope =)
Got more this morning xx

Oh I hope all this pays off..... ;)

I weighed this morning, I now weigh 70kilos omg omg ... I am usually around 59kilos to 64 at the VERY most!!!!

atomic sagebrush
April 13th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I SO hope it pays off for you too. Blue dust!!!!!!!

TTC5
April 14th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Thankyou soooo much!!!! x