PDA

View Full Version : boy names used for a girl, now too girly?

my4leafclover
January 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I love the names Avery, Quinn and Parker. they are unisex names. I love them for a girl and like them for a boy but have they transitioned to mostly girls with these names now?

lovemy4
January 14th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I think they are still perfect for either gender.

atomic sagebrush
January 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I also still love them for a boy. I adore the name Avery for a boy or a girl - I also like Quinn and Parker too but I've just always really liked Avery.

My twin I lost, we named Emery - we didn't know gender and I felt it worked for either. It was my great-grandpa's name.

rainbowflower
January 14th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I don't know/haven't heard of any girls called Parker - I think that's an odd choice for a girl!

Wanting-a-girl
January 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Avery is at the top of the list for a boy... I've never seen a girl named Avery so never even knew it was unisex

Wanting-a-girl
January 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Infact I see all three of those names as boy names the only Quinn girl I've seen is on glee

jennaesue
January 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I think they are unisex, but to me they are all more boyish. I don't personally know any girls named Parker, but there is the actress, Parker Posey. I love Avery for a boy, but my dh has shot it down any time I suggest it.

nuthinbutpink
January 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Avery is at the top of the list for a boy... I've never seen a girl named Avery so never even knew it was unisex

I only know girls that are Avery! It's very popular and has been for a girl for about 10 years. The catalog Pottery Barn Kids started it with 'Avery' monogrammed on a pink girl's towel years ago.

nuthinbutpink
January 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Pottery Barn baby names: The new trend? (http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/947883/pottery-barn-baby-names-the-new-trend)

alreadyneedivf
January 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I know baby boys and girls named Parker. I only know baby girls named Avery and I know no Quinns. That being said I really like all three names for boy or girl:)

Hobbermittens
January 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM
They can all go either way. I know girls and one boy named Avery. I know one girl Quinn and a couple boy Quinns. The only Parker I know is a boy, but I have heard of it for a girl.

WantingPink
January 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I have a nephew named Avery and there is a boy in my DS1 class named Avery. I love the name Avery however, when you go to look at the "Avery" stuff (like name plates, pencils, water bottles) it all looks a little girly... kind of irritating!! My DH likes the name Quinn for a boy and if he likes it then there is no way he as associated it with a girl's name. I like the name Peyton but he won't consider it because too many girls are named Payton.

Wanting-a-girl
January 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I only know girls that are Avery! It's very popular and has been for a girl for about 10 years. The catalog Pottery Barn Kids started it with 'Avery' monogrammed on a pink girl's towel years ago.

Really lol geez I fee like I live under a rock sometimes... I have never met anyone with the name Avery except for jaxson Avery on greys anatomy lol so I think that's why I picked it up as a boy name lol... I never noticed that with pottery barn I'm there quite often but never look at girly stuff

Flava
January 14th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I would only use Parker for a boy the other 2 is girly to me.

my4leafclover
January 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I had to laugh about the pottery barn thing. I ALWAYS look at the names they use in their catalogs!!
Emery is a great name Atomic.
I am finding it so much harder to focus on a name now that I have 3 boys and they are all in school and sports. Plus our family and friends who have boys AND making sure this new babies name goes with their names at least somewhat. It is definitely a fun focus though :)

coocoobananas
January 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Quin(n) is one of our final 3 names. It was my 1st choice for a girl and then it just kinda went to the boy side when we found out...but since I had it as a girls name originally, I'm still questioning I want it for a boy lol!

my4leafclover
January 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
me too CCB!Theres always the middle name running too.

Rainbow baby
January 14th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Atomic I love the name Emery thats a really sweet name I have never came across before! For me Avery is a girls name and Parker and Quinn for a boy! I honestly never met or came across anyone having it the other way around! I can say parker maybe but Quinn ...all I can think of is the medicine tv series Dr Quinn medicine woman and I think it's a last name, so even more boy. Maybe I am out of it because I like all the old fasioned not "in" names :) I think if you wanted then for boy names they would be fine and for a girl it would be trendy ;p

BunnyGirl19
February 27th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I don't like the trend of sticking masculine names on females.

Cinss
February 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM
None of those names are popular in Australia at least, i don't know anyone with those names. But they all sound a bit boyish to me. I think they would sound funny with our funny accent ;) especially Parker it would sound like - Paakaa

Mandy_S
March 5th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I think Parker is very boyish

Quinn is good for either but I'd say it's more for a boy.

The only "Avery's" I've known are two little girls...so I'm biased in thinking that one is girly.

If you use any of those names for your baby boy, he'll make it masculine.

glory
March 15th, 2013, 12:49 AM
None of those names are popular in Australia at least, i don't know anyone with those names. But they all sound a bit boyish to me. I think they would sound funny with our funny accent ;) especially Parker it would sound like - Paakaa

I have a Parker :) It is original for Australia, but it is received well.

I am though kicking myself that I called him Parker because I love it for a girls name too and we have nothing in way of girls names at the moment :)

His middle name is Emerson and I also love this for a girl also. Maybe I was projecting when I named him?

So thumbs up for Parker as a girls name and Quinn and Avery I think of as girls names also :)