PDA

View Full Version : 16 week gender scan

EmmyRoo
January 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone,
First up apologies for not being on here very often, I've been feeling fluey the last few days, plus my migraines made a reappearance last week and I ended up in A+E getting my medication dosage upped, DH had a sick bug and I keep getting morning sickness on and off (mild but still...) so all in all I've not had the strength to do much but lie around feeling sorry for myself! :drama: Hope everyone's ok and bumps are doing well. :bigsmile:

The reason for the thread...
I've been given my NT scan date from the hospital which will be when I'm only 11+1. They think I'll be 12+1 then but I ovulated a week late and the midwives go by last period date until your due date is corrected at the NT scan. I don't want to change the date cos I'm finding hiding this pregnancy stressful, especially as I'm getting too big for my trousers already so I do want to have the scan in 2 weeks.
But I started worrying I'll not get a good nub shot that early (will I?), which I was relying on to start the process of getting my head around another boy (it seems inevitable) before the 20 week scan. So, DH said last night that we could have a private gender scan at 16 weeks if I wanted, and the more I thought about it the more I thought it was a good idea.
I thought that we could keep it totally secret, take a day off work together while the boys are at school/childminder and have the scan, have lunch, do some consolatory baby boy shopping then have 4 weeks to come to terms with it being a boy privately, before the 20 week scan. Basically EVERYONE knows we will find out the gender at 20 weeks so the minute we come out of the appointment people will be clamouring to know, which means we're forced to paint on a smile and endure the "3 boys" comments before having any time to absorb the information ourselves. This way, we're OK with it (hopefully) long before anyone else needs to know.

So I looked up the nearest clinic and they only have saturday appointments available. :rolleyes: So my question is what do we do with the boys? On one hand it would be lovely for them to see the scan but on the other hand, what if there's something wrong with the baby? What if I react really badly to the gender and cry? What if (very likely) they get bored and disruptive? If we're paying £79 for this scan I want to be able to fully concentrate on it. But getting someone else to look after them means telling someone where we're going, which goes against the point of having the scan in secret. Argh, what do we do?

Also, has anyone got any experience of Babybond in Livingston? Is it worth it?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
x

Praying4Pink
January 15th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Hi Emmy! Would you be able to tell whoever is watching the kids that you and your hubby want to have a "date day" before the baby comes? That usually works for us, lol. I mean theoretically it will become a date day after the scan. Is it family that will be watching the little guys or a private sitter? Sorry I can't help with the scan part as I decided against getting one (too far).

Oh and Emmy..."Think Pink" love!

rainbowflower
January 15th, 2013, 01:16 PM
if you give the hospital a ring and tell them you're on holiday that week they will reschedule it for a later date - I've done this a couple of times

are there any other private clinics near you? I found I had worse customer service at Babybond (not the one near you) than I did at a different local private scanning place, and that one was cheaper too.

OneLastDream
January 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi - we had a scan at babybond and took our 3 boys. I managed to stay calm when they confirmed boy no 4 and try to be happy for the boys. The boys were brilliant in there just watching - I didn't concentrate enough though. We went to Maidstone. We haven't told anyone the sex - the boys want to keep it a secret which suits me fine xx good luck for hearing girl xxx

Bama Belle
January 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Try to stay positive about getting a baby girl!

Wanting-a-girl
January 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I would move your NT scan up to the next week It will be worth the extra little wait to get a good nub... Even if you got a good nub at 11 weeks it is only 50/50 at that point...

I think u will be fine if it's another boy :) I didn't even blink with my third lol I was happy still and to be honest I have the strongest bond with him out of my three... I have my fingers crossed that you get your girl... I know its hard to think positive I havnt looked at girl names at all but I have. List of boy names lol

Justjessica
January 15th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Hi Emmy, I totally understand your thinking. If you couldn't get a sitter, could you get the scan place to write the gender on a piece of paper after they have checked the baby is all ok and then open it privately with DH when you get home? That's what I'm thinking of doing when I have my 20 week as I can't face crying in front of a sonographer.

EmmyRoo
January 16th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I would move the 12 week scan date but I'm starting to struggle with hiding this (probably cos I'm eating SO much and have gained a stone in a month!) but I'm just desperate to be able to go public. I think that if we go for the gender scan it doesn't matter so much if we get a nub shot at 11 wks. I keep telling myself that at some point in this process I will HAVE to find out the gender whether I like it or not, I'll have to face up to it. I think your nub situation praying4pink has made me realise that even with all girl guesses you can't relax and feel certain about the gender! Maybe knowing we'll definitely find out at 16 wks will help us be calmer about it, after all, waiting longer to find out won't change the gender....

I think we'll ask my parents up for the weekend to look after the boys for a few hrs+just say we're having a private scan so we can get 3d pics as it's our last baby. We can maybe convince them that you can't see the gender at 16 wks if they ask, so they don't think that's the reason.

Rainbowflower I looked at all the places near us and babybond are the only ones who do gender scanning at 16 wks, everywhere else is 18 wks at the earliest which is so close to the NHS one at 20 wks it hardly seems worth it! I just have to hope their customer service is better than your experience!

Oh I hate how I'm so desperate to find out and yet so terrified, I don't think I've ever felt so torn about anything, I really don't know what I want! :sad:

X

rainbowflower
January 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Emmy, or just tell your parents that baby had her legs crossed so you couldn't see
I remember feeling that way, it's not a nice limbo to be in, very stressful

Justjessica
January 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I know how you feel. It is stressful not knowing but it's kind of exciting too. I figure while I don't know there's still hope so I kind of like this phase too :)

maybeoneday
January 27th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I totally feel your pain! I am in exactly the same situation only I had a of nub shot at 12/13 weeks but it is so ambiguous I am still none the wiser!

I had expected to see a really boy nub and that would have been enough to get me to the 20 week Nhs scan! As it is I am going to pay for one at 'my ultra baby' as they gender scan from 16 weeks as well then have 4 weeks to get my head around it before telling people at 20 weeks

As for taking the boys, that is a tricky one as my scan is due about half term so going to have the same problem!

I think I would say to your parents that 16 weeks is too early to see but early enough for good 3d pictures as if you leave it later it will be too big.

Good luck.

Atsaukina1
January 27th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I would chanbe 11 week appt. to a later date. why do you have to wait for scan to go public and tell family your prego??? not really understanding that part:)

EmmyRoo
January 27th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I have told my parents and DH's parents and our siblings, but I want to wait till the scan to tell friends, work etc cos I want to know there's a living baby in there first! I am finding it increasingly hard to hide my bump so really need this scan tomorrow. I'm so nervous though, I'm just praying everything's ok. It seems so unlikely to have 3 healthy babies in a row with nothing going wrong.

I've kind of accepted that I'll not get a good nub shot tomorrow, im going to ask for one, but now that I've booked the 16 week gender scan, I'm less bothered about a nub, as it'd only be a guess anyway and probably only give me false hope. Just have to hope I force myself to let go of any hope that it's a girl by then.

Maybeoneday it sounds like you're in exactly the same position as me! I really do feel it's the best way, even though I find it hard to keep things from friends, I think I'll be so glad of that privacy when it comes to the gender scan. Good luck with yours, it's much sooner than mine if you're 14 weeks now, I really hope we both hear and see girl!

X

Dreamofpink
January 27th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hope your scan goes well tomorrow Emmyroo! Will be thinking of you. Just enjoy those first precious glimpses of your baby. I can't believe how far along you are now, it's gone so quickly since you ladies graduated out of the ttc boards. I'll be stalking tomorrow to see how you get on! :)

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

EmmyRoo
January 28th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks dreamofpink, it does feel like only yesterday I was in the TTC pink board and I'm suddenly 11 weeks! I'll let you know how I get on. X