PDA

View Full Version : Help with taking Clomid please!

Dreamofpink
January 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
I know I may be thought of a crazy for deciding at the last moment to skip this month, BUT my prescription for Clomid is in the post. I have no idea what's going on with my cycle this month as by cd19 (yesterday) I'd only had -opks. No change in my cm either which is unusual as I always have a few days of clear cm preceding ov. Oh well, I guess I'll either ov tomorrow or the day after OR I guess it'll be one of my infrequent anovulatory cycles.:think:
I know I shouldn't perhaps say this but I found it fairly easy to get a prescription for Clomid despite not really needing it. I do ov on my own, but I have had a slightly erratic cycle for the last two years ovulating anytime between cd14-cd22 with no apparent reasons why. I think also that the diet and sheer amount of swaying over the last year+ has messed with my cycle a bit. Of course I didn't tell the doc all of that :hide:
Anyhoo, enough of my rambling what I'd like to know is what's the best approach for taking Clomid? I've been on the diet 5+half months now and by the time my attempt comes around in February it'll be 6+half months. I eat between 1600-1700cal a day, 30g fat and 40g protein. Do I need to make any changes to that? Also the gynae said to take Clomid between cd2-6. I really want to get pg asap on Clomid and would love twins so is this wise or should I go for cd3-7? Any hints or tips would be greatly received and thanks for making it this far :giggle:

Dreamofpink
January 22nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
Is it worth the extra cost of digi opks too as I know I can't afford to miss ov? How dramatically does clomid alter your cycle? Do I need to be using opks much earlier than usual as I've never had a positive one before cd12? Taking clomid from cd2-6. TIA!

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

Pumpkin2011
January 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
I think you have to try how clomid works for you. I tried cd 3-7 and 5-9 but 5-9 definitely works better for me. When I do 5-9 I O around cd 17 and have really bad O pain and strong positive OPK's. both times I tried 3-6 I O'd around cd 26 and had no signs of O. No pain no EWCM no OPK + and both times I missed it. Try cd 2-6 and see what happens ;).

Your diet is fine I'd say, no need to change anything. I you going to take any supplements?

Dreamofpink
January 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Just going by what my gynae told me to do ie cd2-6 but how do they decide? Really don't want to miss ov! Are you taking it this time Pumpkin? :)

Dreamofpink
January 22nd, 2013, 08:56 AM
No, no supps anymore. SP really lengthened my cycle, gave it up last month. Will have to take baby aspirin from bfp to week 36 to prevent pre-eclampsia again so don't want to take it just now in case it has any unwanted effects. Tbh I did take a few aspirin for a headache just before my blood test last month and was left with a big bruise. It could've been due to SP though too.

Pumpkin2011
January 22nd, 2013, 09:28 AM
I guess the docs go by experience. The earlier you start the clomid the more follies you'll get. If you take it later there are less follies but the quality is better. So basically it's a quantity vs quality issue.
On clomid it's a good idea to go for the SMEP and since timing doesn't seem to sway very much I guess we'll be going for it next time. Did it the last cycle and got pregnant right away but then miscarried :(.

I am waiting for AF and then I'll start another round of clomid. Hoping my gyn will up the doseage :sigh:.

Fingers crossed for you :fx:.

Dreamofpink
January 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks Pumpkin. GL to you too!!

Dreamofpink
January 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Bump. Anyone?! :)

Mrs_P
January 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
hi dream i took clomid cd3 to 7 caught first cycle, doc said cd2 to 6 to me too but i was already on cd3 so started it that night (took just for swaying reasons). I o'd on cd15 so fair average for me, its mean't to be so many days after your last pill you o but will tell you in the instructions, i can't quite remember.

I swayed with mine for pink if you want a look at my sway i posted it

not sure with the twins thing, i agree with pumpkin in terms of the theory but in practice i have seen twins from taking later in the cycle and singletons as well both early in the cycle. It raises your odds of twins but not by that much and i think although it maybe slightly more likely in the earlier days its not guaranteed - although high folic acid can help to, we seem to have a high range of twins in my due date group, some from clomid, others not but way more than normal so maybe its the fa, i've read stories linking it to twins though.

We did fr and multiple attempts instead of the smep plan. If you don't need it to get pregnant and you really want a daughter i would suggest starting with a strict sway the first month or two as you always have the natural ttc fallback after. although i really do think it sways girl for those that don't need it especially doing girl friendly things (or at least not doing boy friendly things anyway).

Keep an eye on the june, july, august due date thread for stats if you want, there are a few of us on clomid and we are all getting near to finding out now

Mrs_P
January 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
ps any questions you can pm me if you want x