PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding and swaying pink

GeCon
January 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Hi,

So I was quite keen on keeping up the breastfeeding of my toddler (2.5 years old) whilst swaying as I thought the breastfeeding itself swayed pink.

However, I didn't really think about the fact that the older they get, the benefits of BF are reduced. Our LO currently feeds before bed and then possibly 2 or 3 times throughout the night (we co-sleep), but not at all during the day.

I have been thinking about weaning him completely off the boob soon (as I don't think he will do it by himself, he loves his boobie too much), but have put it on hold until after we get pregnant to include it in my sway.

I would never stop BF'ing him because I want to sway, but since I already wanted to wean him, I am wondering if it would in fact be more beneficial to my sway to stop BF asap and include some supplements that I can currently not take and if realistically taking additional supplements would sway more than breastfeeding a 2.5 year old toddler?

Any thoughts?

:think:

rainbowflower
January 23rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
breastfeeding doesn't only sway by taking nutrients from you, but it does also lower testosterone and oestrogen. How much this is by when LO is only having a few feeds a day I don't know

there have been 8 sways while BF on here, 5 got girls, and 2 of those successful ones were feeding two older LOs (tandem feeding). I can't remember what the other 3 were doing

babydust
January 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Oh I definitely think you should wait until after your sway to start weaning! :)

Bigwish
January 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
I would think the same as you're thinking. Would hormone levels still be so much different when feeding a 2,5 old?

Although i did not sway, i was bf-ing my oldest one when i conceived my youngest one. Didn't work for me, but accept for shettles i didn't even know about the existence of swaying!

There are some sups you can't take while bf-ing, but you can do vitex and rephresh and you can do the diet although it may influence your production. But if you don't mind him quitting i wouldn't worry about that.

When i was thinking about stopping bf-ing after my son went 2, i had the following rule: NEVER quit when in doubt, just wait one more week and see how you think about it then.

If i where you i would make two sway plans: one when not bf-ing and one in which bf-ing is incorporated. Then you could decide what will probably work best for you and your toddler.

lollylegs
January 24th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Following discussion with interest -

I'm in same boat with age, timeframe etc - though our feeding reduced further when I was pregnant late last year (reduced supply, less interest). My DS2.5 has pre-sleep feed which is half hearted at best, sometimes one short one during day when tired or bumped and a good long feed in the morning when wakes up. He has somehow, miraculously taken himself from our bed and into his big brother's bed in the past few weeks.
At this stage I am arranging supps to compliment BF (Vit C instead of SP for example) and have been doing diet with no change apparently in supply (though as mentioned it was low already). It was all really laid out clearly in my plan from AS.

Hoping the hormonal profile will still help just by act of oxytocin/prolactin and whatever else happens with act itself. Thank you Rainbowflower for the stats on older babes / BF sways ... encouraging me to stay it out.

atomic sagebrush
January 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
we don't know. I think there are still benefits even breastfeeding an older child.

hotdogz&boyz
January 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Although my child was not "older" (11 months) he only nursed 3-5 times a day when I got pregnant (while swaying). I do think that the hormones are much different when nursing, even a small amount.

I know there are a couple supplements you want to avoid while nursing, but my first instinct is that you would be better of swaying with diet and supplements while nursing rather than stopping nursing and adding the one or two things you couldn't do while nursing, KWIM? I think the hormone element, along with the "less ideal conception conditions" of nursing would provide a more "rounded" sway than if you stopped and took aspirin or whatever (FTR: I took aspirin as part of my sway, but only because I take it anyway for a blood clotting condition, even while nursing. Although I think it is not recommended for healthy moms to use while nursing).

I don't know if I am included in the 8 sways, but we did successfully conceive a girl while nursing.

GeCon
January 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for sharing, hotdogz&boyz and congrats on your pink bundle.

It is much appreciated.

harleyquinn
January 25th, 2013, 05:09 PM
My experience is this: I BFd 2 older babies (like one-ish) and conceived 2 boys during that time....was not nursing at night and it was comfort feeds mostly, they ate food and alot of it. I tried to ttc while BFing an even older baby (2) and I thnk because he still nursed several times during the night (I know...I know...) I never got pregnant so to my little pea brain based on MY experience...I think its the nursing that is overnight and really sustaining them that is the type of nursing that sways.

Personally, with my history and experience of conceiving a boy pretty much no matter what ;), if I wanted to sway, I would do it without nursing so you can take supps and go full out IF yoiu wanted to.

Violet_
January 25th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I was and am still breastfeeding my son who was 15 months at my sway attempt and is now 18 months. He fed approx 6-8 times per 24 hours, including a few times per night at the time, he's cut back a little now. And I'm quite sure, but not certain that our girl sway worked. Baby looks very girly at 12-13 week ultrasound.