PDA

View Full Version : Info on pH digital tester

Glittergirl
April 10th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I saw a lot of questions regarding the digital pH tester so I thought I would write everything I know about mine here and anyone else is welcome to add to it.:prof:

Checker by Hanna
When you first get it, you have to connect the electrode to the meter (very easy, you just screw the two parts together).
The electrode is dry, so remove the Hanna's cap and condition the electrode by soaking the tip in pH7.01 buffer solution for a few hours. (Pour some solution in a cup and just let it sit for several hours).
Now you're ready to calibrate it.
remove the Hanna cap and dip it in pH7.01 solution and wait until the reading stabilizes. It should say 7.01. If not, then use a small screwdriver and adjust the pH trimmer on top until it reads 7.01 (I always pour a small amount of buffer solution in the lid of the solution then discard when done as to not contaminate).
Now, do the same for 4.01 or 10.01 buffer and calibrate to get the right reading. I calibrate once a week.

When you order your Hanna, it may come with little packets of solution but I recommend buying a bottle of 7.01 AND 4.01 (or 10.01). They aren't expensive and will last you forever. I always pour a small amount into the bottle cap then discard so the pH doesn't change over time.

When done, rinse the tip under running water or you can buy cleaning solution. Also, put a few drops of storage solution in the lid of you Hanna to keep the electrode moist.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have questions. I'm not the best at typing while multitasking with the kids:bigsmile:

atomic sagebrush
April 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
THANK YOU!!!

Out of the Blue
April 12th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Belated thanks, Glittergirl! :Flower:

Got a few ?s:

- How much solution do you need to use to test? Is it the "bottle cap" amount you are speaking of and do you actually do the testing in the bottle cap?

- Is "storage solution" the same as "buffer solution"?

- Do you store your solution in the fridge or does it not matter?

Thanks again for the info & GL to you...:luck:

Glittergirl
April 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Belated thanks, Glittergirl! :Flower:

Got a few ?s:

- How much solution do you need to use to test? Is it the "bottle cap" amount you are speaking of and do you actually do the testing in the bottle cap?

- Is "storage solution" the same as "buffer solution"?

- Do you store your solution in the fridge or does it not matter?

Thanks again for the info & GL to you...:luck:

I just pour some in the bottle cap, enough to completely submerge the tip in so it can read the pH. You can store it at room temperature (that's what the bottle says) so I probably wouldn't refrigerate. As for storage solution, that's what it says on the bottle. Its different from the buffer solutions so I'm not sure if it's Ok to keep buffer in the lid. On IG I remember someone just put a few drop of water in their lid...I think the point it to keep the tip moistened at all times. If it dries out, you have to do that whole process again by soaking it for several hours then re-calibrating. I've never kept it in water or buffer solution. Anyone else use plain water or buffer solution for storage??? I wonder if storage solution is just expensive water LOL!!

Out of the Blue
April 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
THANKS!! :agree:

fivebabies
April 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM
What pH does pure lime juice have? I have a different digital tester and I'm not sure that it's working correctly....help please! TIA

atomic sagebrush
April 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Lime juice is said to have pH of 2 but I am sure it varies from lime to lime.

fivebabies
April 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ok thank you Atomic! My tester must be off. Pure lime juice read 5.8-6.0 I don't have the Hanna one though. It was supposed to come ready to use, no calibrating. :( Every thing reads 6-7

fivebabies
April 16th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Ok, what model of the Hanna Checker do you all have??? I want to get one but not sure which one.... TIA!

Out of the Blue
April 17th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, what model of the Hanna Checker do you all have??? I want to get one but not sure which one.... TIA!

A lot of women from IG got these models:

- http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hanna+ph+tester&hl=en&prmd=ivns&biw=1259&bih=807&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130304740402910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16206280931021298183&sa=X&ei=_OyqTei3DsfKgQfi9_TzBQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAg#

- http://www.ecrater.com/p/7394601/hanna-hi-99104-digital-ph-meter

I got the red one. Hope this helps.

fivebabies
April 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks! :)

WantingPink
April 18th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Are there any controls that people are using or can you purchase controls so you know that your pH meter is working correctly?

Glittergirl
April 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Mine is also just red and says checker by hanna on the actual tester.

iluvmyman
April 28th, 2011, 12:00 AM
This is a great link for the Hannah
http://www.hannacan.com/conseils_pH_en.htm

atomic sagebrush
April 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Are there any controls that people are using or can you purchase controls so you know that your pH meter is working correctly?

Hmmm...I think there are solutions you can buy to calibrate it OR you can try distilled water which should have a pH of 7 (although like everything, pH of distilled water is unreliable!!)

iluvmyman
April 29th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hmmm...I think there are solutions you can buy to calibrate it OR you can try distilled water which should have a pH of 7 (although like everything, pH of distilled water is unreliable!!)

I've been looking into this for TTC5 but it looks like you should have a PH 7.01 buffer solution as well as PH4.01 or PH 10 to calibrate your PH meter, plus cleaning solution and storage solution. Distilled water are being used in some videos for rinsing between solutions. here is a video off of youtube for calibrating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HYTDsFmLGE

iluvmyman
April 29th, 2011, 11:49 PM
You should always store your meters in the storage solution and it's important to keep the probe wet. This is different then the buffer solutions.

You only need enough solutions to cover the probe when calibrating or storing.

Never read that anything needs to be stored in the fridge.

iluvmyman
April 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM

I believe that getting the correct PH when calibrating in PH7, then, rinse and move to the PH4 or PH10 solution. Once that's done and they calibrate correctly, that s/b your control.

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I've been looking into this for TTC5 but it looks like you should have a PH 7.01 buffer solution as well as PH4.01 or PH 10 to calibrate your PH meter, plus cleaning solution and storage solution. Distilled water are being used in some videos for rinsing between solutions. here is a video off of youtube for calibrating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HYTDsFmLGE

The bottle of buffer it came with says: Buffer solution - pH 7.00 + (the plus also have an underscore under it?) 0.2@25deg celcius.

Then it has a chart on the bottle of temps and corresponding pH levels?

The instructions only tell me that: the supplied buffer is adequate for most practical purposes.

iluvmyman
May 3rd, 2011, 01:21 AM
I think I remember reading that the more buffers = more accuracy. People who need to know specifically will use 3.