PDA

View Full Version : Early BFP and gender?

True Blue
January 29th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Is there any study that backs this up - do people think their is any truth to it?

Basically "they" say an early BFP indicates a girl and a later BFP indicates a boy.

True Blue
January 29th, 2013, 04:04 AM
I think this belings in old wives takes forum, sorry!
Can it be moved?

Cinss
January 29th, 2013, 04:08 AM
I dont see how, the hcg levels would be the same and not be affected by gender? Also i didnt get a BFP with DD until AF was a week late, may have been my cheap tests though i will never know. With DS AF was 1 day late with my BFP.

True Blue
January 29th, 2013, 04:11 AM
To me it doesn't tie, I mean surely an early BFP is only linked to earlier implantation.
Also the study I have seen showed higher HCG in women over 13 weeks so again it wouldn't correlate to an early BFP.

Pangea
January 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I hope it's true in my case as this is the first time I've had a BFP this early, but I hope it's not true in your case! I've definitely seen people get BFPs at 8DPO and have boys. Do a search on Fertility friend, there are pregnant with a boy charts there with BFPs at 8dpo.

Wanting-a-girl
January 29th, 2013, 11:17 AM
It's not true with ds3 I got my Bfp at 8dpo with afternoon pee and he is def a boy

True Blue
January 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks for that :) It's funny the things you read and think 'pah' then niggle in the back of your mind :D

sugarNspice
January 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I've gotten BFPs at 9 dpo with both. The only correlation for me is that my very late BFPs are more likely to miscarry. But I had a clear positive at 9 DPO and great betas with a chromosomally abnormal boy and a chromosomally normal girl both. At this point in pregnancy there's no way of telling.
Hcg levels have been shown to be higher in pregnancies with girls, but only later on--I think the earliest a study has claimed to find a difference was after 5 or 6 weeks, and it's more likely that the difference isn't there until closer to 11 or 12 weeks. And even then, it's a general tendency, not a guarantee of gender for any particular pregnancy.
Early BFPs that darken over the next few days are a good sign in terms of a healthy pregnancy, but really have nothing to do with gender.

rainbowflower
January 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM
it can mean that... but it's not the rule
the reason for the theory is that girls have higher hCG than boys so will show on a test sooner after implantation, but an early implanting boy at 5/6dpo will have higher hCG than a girl implanting at 9/10dpo

hotdogz&boyz
January 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Doesn't work for me. My BFPs with my healthy pregnancies have been at 10DPO (4 days before AF was due), 8DPO, and 8-9DPO (not 100% which one). They have been boy, boy, girl pregnancies. My second was a twin pregnancy and had similar betas to both of my singletons. So I don't know that any of that makes a difference so early on. But it's fun to think about :)

mummypink
January 29th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I didn't get a BFP until I was at least 3 or 4 days late with my first two and that was with branded tests. This time I got a positive at about 9 days past ovulation which is my earliest ever - I'm expecting another boy though! x

Mrs_P
January 29th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Sadly not, there have been a few threads on here about even since my time on here. Some of the earliest bfp's i know of were all little boys to moms swaying pink. Gender does not seem to have any link.

Incidentially this little person is my latest bfp yet!

True Blue
January 29th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks all :) great to hear all the different perspectives.

Sway&Wish
January 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Research has shown significant differences in HCG levels as early as a few weeks following ovulation though.
Maternal serum HCG is higher in the presence of a female fetus as early as week 3 post-fertilization (http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/2/485.full)

XXdreaming
January 29th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Ds1 I don't know(I was 2 weeks late before I tested so don't know how early it would of registered), ds2 was 9dpo, ds3 8dpo, and ds4 9dpo, and #5 10dpo gender unknown, I had later bfps but those ended in m/cs, late bfp are bad news for me idk why either

atomic sagebrush
January 29th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Research has shown significant differences in HCG levels as early as a few weeks following ovulation though.
Maternal serum HCG is higher in the presence of a female fetus as early as week 3 post-fertilization (http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/2/485.full)

It doesn't matter, you can't tell gender on the basis of HCG tests, early pg tests, or darkness of BFP. I've seen so many people stress, obsess, and either get their hopes up or are crushed by it and it just doesn't work with any reliability whatsoever.

wannagirl21
January 29th, 2013, 09:50 PM

I had the highest HCG hormone and was sick literally for 9 months and I was having a Boy!!!! so don't know how true that is either and tbh most of the ppl I know who have had boy's where sicker with them then their girls..

cvd
January 29th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I got mine 9DPO and I'm having another boy!

Sway&Wish
January 29th, 2013, 10:23 PM
It doesn't matter, you can't tell gender on the basis of HCG tests, early pg tests, or darkness of BFP. I've seen so many people stress, obsess, and either get their hopes up or are crushed by it and it just doesn't work with any reliability whatsoever.

Agreed - and if you look at the study statistically significant differences didn't occur until more than two weeks post ovulation (let alone these being practically significant).

I had the highest HCG hormone and was sick literally for 9 months and I was having a Boy!!!! so don't know how true that is either and tbh most of the ppl I know who have had boy's where sicker with them then their girls..

Yes, the differences in HCG can't be used to definitely detect gender because the intervals that occur for males and females are overlapping. It is just that girls on average show higher levels.

I was just trying to point out that average differences do seem to show up before 13 weeks, not that an early BFP means girl or boy :)

NearlyDone
January 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM
7dpo with my boy...the girls were around the same.........this time it was 10-11dpo..really annoyed me becuse i 'knew' i was pregnant but the tests were neg lol......not sure on the gender of this one for another 7 days