PDA

View Full Version : Question about toddler naptime!

cvd
January 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hi,
My 19 month old has a nap everyday from about 1pm-3 or 4pm. Sometimes he would sleep even later, but I go in at 4:30pm the latest to get him up no matter what!

My question is, when do toddlers seem to outgrow these LONG naps and switch to a shorter "power nap" or what is your experience with it as I know obviously every child is different.

I absolutely adore it of course, gives me lots of time to do stuff around the house :), but in September I want him to start an afternoon session at pre-school (yes, really planning ahead lol), he will be about 27 months. I don't want to change it, I'd rather him just grow out of it!

rainbowflower
January 29th, 2013, 03:41 PM
my 26 month old still naps 1-4pm :)

jennaesue
January 29th, 2013, 03:41 PM
My ds3 is 26 months, and he still naps for about 3 hours most days (when we can fit it in around running errands and dropping off/picking up brothers). Ideally, he does down around 10:30 or 11:00 and wakes up around 2 or 2:30. He didn't go down until about 2 today, so he's still out. I need to go get him soon, or we'll be in trouble at bedtime! I would suggest you start putting him down sooner so maybe you can transition him to a morning nap before he starts preschool.

cvd
January 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM
They still sleep that long???? When I tell people his nap time, they look at me like he's some sort of freak child lol so I thought it was unusual that he still takes a long nap. I guess I will have to transition him to morning naps if he doesn't outgrow it before September! He's a pretty light sleeper though, so once DS2 is here, nap time may change then!

The Anchor
January 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I try not to let my 30 month old nap very much anymore...for the same reason as you! He starts preschool in September. And bed-time was becoming a NIGHTMARE, so I just started weaning out the naps. If he's really cranky I'll let him have a nap on the couch for an hour - TOPS. I hate to wake him but if he naps too much longer than that I'll fall asleep at night before him!

ThreeMenAndALAdy
January 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Can you do a morning session instead of afternoon? In my experience, my kids napped until almost 4 years old. My dd turned 3 in October and is sleeping as we speak. She goes to preschool in the morning. I think good naps help maintain good night sleeping.

Pearl327
January 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
My 25 month old only naps for an hour now. But at 18-22 months she was still having the 3 hr naps. She has always slept for 12hrs at night and still does. So I suppose if they need less sleep as they get older it could be the naps or the nighttime sleep that they cut back on

jennaesue
January 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Can you do a morning session instead of afternoon? In my experience, my kids napped until almost 4 years old. My dd turned 3 in October and is sleeping as we speak. She goes to preschool in the morning. I think good naps help maintain good night sleeping.

If mine doesn't nap, he doesn't sleep well that night. He is my first kid to take a consistent nap and I love it!

cvd
January 29th, 2013, 08:37 PM
There is a morning option but I'd rather him in afternoons - we're both super slow morning risers so I think he'd get more out of an afternoon sessions!
But if he doesn't outgrow his nap on his own I will have to do mornings! I'm not sure I could get him to take morning naps, he wakes around 830 or 9 so he doesn't get tired till noonish these days. There's a lot of time for things to change of course (especially with a new baby coming!)

cvd
February 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Oh my goodness - I had to update this: I am pretty sure I JINXED nap time by asking this question!!!! As I mentioned, he usually sleeps about 1-3 or 4pm. Well, for the last week now, he will NOT nap at all!!! I leave him in his crib, he just babbles and I can hear him moving around etc. I hope he goes back to sleeping like normal lol!

prettyinpink18
February 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
My DD is 2 1/2 and she takes at least a 2 hour nap everyday. Ds1 gave up naps right at 3 but ds2 went until he was almost 5, which I know is crazy, lol.

Cinss
February 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
My 3yo DD still naps for 2 hours every day, she turns into a monster if she misses her nap, she goes to daycare 2 days per week and they still make them nap or at least rest for 2 hours in the day until they turn 4.

kaykid
February 12th, 2013, 05:28 PM
My 2 year old naps 2.5 hours a day, but we are trying to wean away from that if a new baby comes along.

aidansmum
July 3rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
My 30 month old naps anywhere from 1:30 - 3hrs a day and 12 hours overnight. I'm not in a hurry to change that though ;)