PDA

View Full Version : Stims drugs safe when suffered with Obstetric Cholastasis in previous pregnancies?

Beanie
February 3rd, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hello Dr.

I have a couple of questions Re IVF/PGD that I would like to undergo at the end of this year at Genesis.

I have two sons and no fertility problems that I know of. My only issue I had in both pregnancies was I suffered with Obstetric Cholastasis in the last trimester of both... the after effect being I can't go back on the combined pill because the hormones would have a similar effect on my liver. I can however go on the mini pill.

As far as I know with IVF/PGD you're meant to go on the pill (combined or not I'm not sure) to regulate your cycle and therefore know when to start the stims/drugs etc. What are the options for me??

Also, are the stims/drugs safe for me to take given my history/liver during pregnancy? It is safe for me to say that my liver is absolutely fine and I had a scan etc post pregnancies.

Will this condition (that I have a 60-80% chance of getting in subsequent pregnancies) have any affect on the IVF/PGD procedure?

Many thanks for your help.
gill

Beanie
February 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Have I not done something right? How do I get an answer?

Wishing4girl
September 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
I too have 2 boys and suffered with cholestasis with both pregnancies and would like to find out the answer to your question before I book a consultation.

ever hopeful
September 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Definitely talk to Savvas about this. The only thing you really need BCP for is to help with timings so makes life easier re booking flights etc. I didn't use them first cycle and all was fine re timings, started to second one, as it was a tandem one, but then had to stop because of awful virus effecting my BP so switched to Superfact (down reg drug for longer) which all worked out well in the end. As you are planning to go towards the end of the year, waiting until nearer the time to book flights/accommodation shouldn't be a problem and it shouldn't cost you that much more. Good luck. x

Dr. Potter
September 22nd, 2013, 07:46 PM
I too have 2 boys and suffered with cholestasis with both pregnancies and would like to find out the answer to your question before I book a consultation.

I would have cycle you without birth control pills. Not a problem but overall fewer eggs. If you are young it should not make a big difference. We will start you on lupron in the luteal phase of your cycle after a scan showing no cyst