PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat???? For kids not babies

Thorz300
February 5th, 2013, 05:19 PM
So I was wondering if I am the only neurotic mother out there who still has her 6 year old son in a 5 point harness car seat. I have 3 boys ages 2,4, and 6 and all 3 are still in 5 point harness car seats still. All of my friends act like I'm am torturing both my 4 year old and 6 year old by making them stay in those car seats. It just makes me so nervous to move them to booster seats. I am pregnant now and by the time the baby comes my older two will be close to 5 and 7. I am contemplating letting my oldest move up to a booster seat at 7 because he has a hard time pushing the red button to get out of the harness, and I dont want to have to buckle 4 kids in and out of the car every time. It would be nice if at least one could get in and out on their own. I am so nervous though this will be a big step for me. Please tell me that I am not the only mom out there that does this!!!

Sihaya
February 5th, 2013, 05:56 PM
You're not the only one! My 5yo will be in his 5-point harness until it expires when he is 11 or he outgrows it (unlikely with my and DH's genes). Family and friends think it's crazy the almost 2yo is still rear-facing, too. Do what you feel is best for your family. It's always a juggle between safety in a possible crash or convenience in the guaranteed day-to-day, I know!

Rosie85
February 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM
YOu are not the only one, good for you! My oldest is 4 1/2 but very tall for his age, he is still in 5 point high back booster carseat and I plan on keeping him in it until he just doesn't fit anymore! Same with the rest of my kiddos. Mine won't last as long as others though since my children are gigantic, ha.

Thorz300
February 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I'm really glad to know I am not the only one! My 6 year old hates it because none of his friends have to ride in a car seat, they all are in boosters now. I just don't feel comfortable with it. And if I can figure out a way to get the button on his 5 point harness car seat to be more kid friendly (so my son can get out on his own) then he will stay in it until he absolutely cannot fit!

Rainbow baby
February 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
It's law here to have them in car seats till 8! Both my lil guys are in 5 point harness's and we had a car accident when ds1 was 5 and in a 5 point harness they told us it saved his life and they were so suprised when he had no whip lash and said we hit hard enough for internal injury and he had no signs of ever being in an accident that was before the law came in but this crazy mummy hadh im in a 5 point harness before the laws come in :)!!! who cares what people say their safety is more important! Eldest is 5 and I will not be buying him another seat unless this breaks :p !!

Thorz300
February 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM
It's law here to have them in car seats till 8! Both my lil guys are in 5 point harness's and we had a car accident when ds1 was 5 and in a 5 point harness they told us it saved his life and they were so suprised when he had no whip lash and said we hit hard enough for internal injury and he had no signs of ever being in an accident that was before the law came in but this crazy mummy hadh im in a 5 point harness before the laws come in :)!!! who cares what people say their safety is more important! Eldest is 5 and I will not be buying him another seat unless this breaks :p !!

Where do you live? That is a great law to have them in a car seat until 8

The Anchor
February 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I've got my 4 year old in a graco turbobooster. it's got a high back with side impact protection at the sides of her head. She LOVES it, simply because she can do the belt up herself. And it's way easier to move the booster from vehicle to vehicle...DH was getting to the point where he'd simply take my car.