PDA

View Full Version : M/c bleeding and trying again right away

LacePrincess
February 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
So I've read lots on other forums and sites, but I would like to see how the ladies here have experienced things.

Two questions:

1. Miscarried at 4 weeks 5days. Full on bleeding started Mon, AF cramps but nothing worse. I had heavy flow Mon and Tues with some clots but nothing huge, and nothing really painful. I expected a rather heavy AF type bleed but as of today (day 3) it's already tapering off to spotting. HUH? Is this weird? My temps are dropping again and got a BFN yesterday so I would assume nothing's being retained. I'm just shocked that the bleed has been so short considering I usually get 2 days heavy, 1 day medium before tapering off. Right now it's less than I get with AF.

2. I've read so much conflicting opinions on trying again. I really REALLY want to try again immediately. The downsides I have read is that they might have issues dating a new pregnancy if you fall right away. Frankly, I don't care and they always mess up my dating anyways as I always O late (and they ignore that!). Plus I never got any 'official' record for this miscarriage regarding tests, etc (not my fault, my idiot doctor won't do any) so I figure IF I'm lucky enough to fall right away I'd just tell them my LMP is Feb 4, when my m/c started. As far as I know there is no physical reason you can't try again right away following a natural early m/c, unlike a D&C which strips the lining and can threaten a future pregnancy. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

sugarNspice
February 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to try again in your situation--and I am a big proponent of waiting after D&C. But it doesn't sound like there's anything preventing you, or any reason why your next pregnancy wouldn't be successful.
If you're worried about dating, just use opks, and tell them your LMP date was 14 days before your ovulation date. This might be a little bit of a lie, but it's a lie that will give them more accuracy for dating your pregnancy anyway. That is, it might not technically be true, but there are no drawbacks and only benefits to giving them more accurate information about how far along you are.
I mean, if you have a midwife/ob who understands charting and tracking your cycles, then obviously you can just tell them the conception date, but so many of them just use that silly wheel, which is only accurate if you happen to o on day 14.
I think changes in the pattern of AF bleeding are normal with a m/c (after all, your lining is different, and the amounts of estrogen, progesterone and hcg in your system are different) and nothing to be concerned about unless they suggest retained tissue or infection. A shorter than normal period doesn't seem like it would indicate anything like this.
Good luck!

LacePrincess
February 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Hey thanks sugar! That's a great idea using LMP as 14 days before O. Now why didn't I think of that? LOL Heck I should've done that with all my boys then they wouldn't forever freak on me that I was measuring small (I always O late).

Yes, the less said about that stupid wheel the better. Even my last midwife used it though she KNEW BETTER. Apparently it's just the procedure so they all do it for consistency? So stupid. With every single dating u/s I've ever had, they look all concerned and say something about me measuring wrong, and I explain when I actually O'ed, and the tech rolls her eyes and sighs and mutters something about it making sense. I don't think the u/s techs like that silly wheel much either!

mommymachine
February 6th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Well, I miscarried January 4, and bled for 11 days. Very heavy and lots of clots most of those days. Baby stopped growing at 5weeks 4 days and I started miscarrying at 7 weeks 1 day.

I just got a BFP.

I am going to tell the doctor that I have no idea of my dates because of the miscarriage, total truth. I can pin it down to the day it must be. But really I don't know and I'm going to tell them I don't know, because I want an early ultrasound. This new baby is so close to my miscarriage. Even though it was natural I'm still worried about lining. I NEED an early ultrasound for peace I mind. Hope to get one around 7 weeks so I can see the heartbeat and in the mean time ill keep peeing on sticks and go in for a couple blood draws. My biggest regret last time is that I didn't go into the doctor at all. I feel like I didn't take care of the baby like I should have:(

The Anchor
February 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I had a m/c at 12 weeks - full on terrifying bleed for about 12 hours. INSANE cramping. I won't go into it any further, suffice it to say that I was traumatized. But honestly, the next day, just spotting, and continued spotting for 2 1/2 weeks. I think everyone is different.

My doc told me I could go ahead and try again right away. I didn't end up getting a D&C, mother nature took care of everything for me. I'm pretty sure I never O'd that first cycle afterwards, but I've O'd in subsequent cycles. The cycles after have been a bit wonky, gotta keep on top of those OPKs.

sugarNspice
February 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I've lied about my dates with a couple of pregnancies where I didn't o on day 14. One time, I also told them that I had no idea when my LMP was, but that I was pretty confident of conception date b/c we'd only BD'd one time. That worked, too. Since we're seeing an RE and my cycles are monitored now, I don't need to lie anymore, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat with a natural conception. It just makes things easier, and I'm very confident in my ability to track my cycles. I'd rather know that things like the NT scan are taking place exactly when they should be.

Having had so many m/c at this point, I always get early u/s (and since we're seeing an RE, it's part of the program anyway), but I think it's a good idea no matter what. You can of course say you don't know your dates, or you can say that you recently had a m/c and are nervous, or you can claim that you have bleeding or cramping or some other cause for concern. Almost always it's not going to change the outcome, (mommymachine, there's nothing you or your doctor could have done to prevent your last loss) but I'd so much rather know early on that it's not going to work out than not know. (I had a blighted ovum that wasn't discovered until after 10 weeks, and I was sick all through the first trimester. It was a horrible shock.)

Mommymachine ~ Congrats on your BFP! I am :pray: for your rainbow!

harleyquinn
February 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Your bleeding sounds right to me...although you may have some spotting right when you think things are wrapped up for the month. I've had this go alot of different ways in the past.

F the dating thing...there is NO reason you should wait..let the Dr earn his $ and figure it out when you are due ;)

LacePrincess
February 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Mommymachine, a big congrats!! I know how you feel though. I expect when I get my next bfp I too will feel exactly the same way. It's too bad, really, that I didn't know how good I used to have it.

Harley, you make me laugh, girl! Love your attitude. :D

Looks like it's down to a wee tiny bit of spotting here and there when I wipe, and that's it. Figures, just when I picked up a pack of those uber thick maxi pads too, which I normally never use. Now I got a big huge pack sitting around. Let's hope I won't need them again for a long time!

Thanks for all the thoughts, everyone. I really appreciate it. You are all amazing and have really brought me a lot of comfort and smiles this week. :)