PDA

View Full Version : Australian scientists fertility breakthrough - new IVF solution. Used by HRC?

yearningyoyo
February 11th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Dear Dr Potter,

I have 2 questions:

1) how long before wanting to do PGD should we contact you; and

2) in Australian newspapers this just gone weekend there was an article detailing the results of a trial from Genea involving a new solution/culture medium (for fertilising the egg and growing the embryo in) that they report improves the changes of pregnancy by embryo transfer by 26%. According to the article, the study ran from the end of 2011 until this January and the new solution would be used in all embryo transfers at Genea from today. Can you please tell me if this new solutions will be available at HRC and if so, when?

Many thanks

glory
February 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I know this is Dr P's forum, but wanted to put this link here about the culture trial, this will be #3. I was in the trial and pregnant now from it :) Pretty sure HRC use a different one though. SART will more than likely use the new one too.

Culture Media Development - Genea (http://www.genea.com.au/Our-Science/Culture-Media-Development)

yearningyoyo
February 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hey Glory, CONGRATS!! and many thanks for the link. Does that mean you did not use PGD for gender selection?

glory
February 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks Yearning, we are pretty excited it has been a long road. Yes I did do PGD here in Australia but I got special permission due to some issues that my sons have. It is rare but they do allow GS for special circumstances.

Dr. Potter
February 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Dear Dr Potter,

I have 2 questions:

1) how long before wanting to do PGD should we contact you; and

2) in Australian newspapers this just gone weekend there was an article detailing the results of a trial from Genea involving a new solution/culture medium (for fertilising the egg and growing the embryo in) that they report improves the changes of pregnancy by embryo transfer by 26%. According to the article, the study ran from the end of 2011 until this January and the new solution would be used in all embryo transfers at Genea from today. Can you please tell me if this new solutions will be available at HRC and if so, when?

Many thanksWe use a different media that is a 'one step' media. They are using a seqenced media from what I gather (Cook). Everyone has a different recipe that works for them. We moved on from sequential media a few years ago.

yearningyoyo
February 11th, 2013, 07:39 PM
OK, thanks.

And, how long before wanting to do PGD (from Australia) should we first contact you?

thanks