PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning on getting a heat monitor?

Rainbow baby
February 14th, 2013, 07:14 AM
I saw one on special today and I am so tempted!! I haven't ordered it but I want to! It might help me sleep at night! Or keep me up all night searching for sound I don't know!

Oh I meant heart monitor!! I don't know how to edit the tittle arggg my bad spelling and typing sorry!

Wanting-a-girl
February 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I want to but I think I would be constantly trying to listen t it and I know the dopplers are the same as u/s I think in which it causes a lot of noise for the baby

But in a situation such as yours I think I would I don't think I would survive the stress so order I think it may help you stay sain

LacePrincess
February 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM
No, because it would create more stress, not less.

I've looked into them before and it's not worth the worry. The home dopplers are only really effective after 20 weeks, before then there's just too much worry from not finding a hb due to baby position, position of placenta, confusing it with your own heartbeat and bloodflow sounds, etc etc. By the time you can reliably find the baby's heartbeat yourself you can also reliably feel movements anyways.

You're probably better off with a stethoscope and learn to use it right than one of those dopplers anyways, but personally I'm passing on all of it because it would only freak me out.

Wanting-a-girl
February 14th, 2013, 02:25 PM
You can buy dr grade dopplers on eBay that hear the hart by 12 weeks my friend has one you can also rent them too

Wanting-a-girl
February 14th, 2013, 02:26 PM
But I def agree that it would cause more stress

Rainbow baby
February 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I have a stethoscope I could never hear anything with it though lol.
Thanks for all your opinions like LP said I probably wouldn't be able to pic it up anyway I am a little chubby :/ Thanks for opinions I wont get it I will just keep it in mind while I am pregnant maybe I will be able to make a better desition then!
P.s I was watching a mid wife showt and a lady nearly lost her baby! She wasn't too worried because she had a home doopler, she wasn't feeling bubby move fore 12 hours! Turns our she waited to long to go in event though she had checked for a HB baby was very sick and had to be delivered flat and needed NICU. So if she went in before when she felt something was wrong baby would have been better at birth! What a coincidence ha! Baby was so close to beeing a stillborn and she was so lucky to have made that call just in case! I guess having one may create faulse security to and it is better to go off a fetal kick count anyway!

Wanting-a-girl
February 14th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Wow! That's very true too! Always go with your gut !

harleyquinn
February 15th, 2013, 12:18 AM
YES!!!

I am getting one for sure...why am I always against the grain here?? LOL! I don't see it as stress...I see it as awesome.

I can't wait to use one and let my kids listen in!

I have a friend who is sending me hers and knowing me though...I won't be able to hear a thing. :)

glory
February 15th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I bought one and to be honest, totally not worth it, they take forever to find the heartbeat early on and when you can't find it you worry. I always have felt movement early though, so that is reassuring.

Sihaya
February 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
After 2 losses, I found a company who sends free dopplers to moms who have had past losses. Your doctor has to sign off on a prescription and she won't send it to you until you are at least 12 weeks along.

I loved having it and was able to find the heartbeat easily every time I used it from 12-20 weeks. Once I hit 20 weeks, I started feeling movement frequently enough that I no longer needed to check for heart tones. I did keep it around until after he was born, though, just in case the midwife didn't make it in time or we needed it unexpectedly for some reason.

sugarNspice
February 23rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
Sihaya~ Do you have contact info for that company that you can pass along? I think I will get one for my next pregnancy--with my last m/c the baby may have been dead inside me for as long as a month, I don't know for sure. But I would really like something to provide some sort of reassurance (or a reason to call my dr) between weeks 12 and whenever I can really feel movement. The scary thing for me is that I *thought* I was still feeling some movement (between being worried about how infrequent it was, and it not feeling right) after I'm sure the baby was actually dead. I was so in denial that I thought I *must* have been feeling it, even though it wasn't really there.
Even if the doppler's not reliable at detecting the heartbeat, it can't be any more unreliable than my own sense of what's going on in my belly. I don't trust what I might or might not be feeling anymore.

Sihaya
February 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
SugarNSpice, I'm so sorry to hear that. It's not a good feeling to not feel like you can trust your body anymore. I hope you get your rainbow baby soon!

Their website: tinyheartbeats.org (http://tinyheartbeats.org) As a caveat, I think they may only ship to the U.S., but I'm not certain of that. Dana is wonderful about answering questions and all that.

Rainbow baby
February 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Sugar and spice. I was 90% sure I felt my baby the day before my u/s were we found out we lost him. There is no way it could have been him as you could tell he had been gone for at least a week apparently! :( I think we want to feel something so much we are listening in to our body's too close and feeling gas what have you! I swear I could feel him even after he was born! It sent me a little crazy and I got some one to talk to apparently it is very common and should have been explained at the hospital!

sugarNspice
February 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
Yes, I could feel my baby after she was gone, too. Also one evening after dinner (it was actually Thanksgiving) I was worried about lack of fetal movement, and was googling it, and while googling, I started poking my belly--harder and harder until I was *sure* I felt a response. Clearly whatever was moving in response to my prodding was not my daughter.
For me, a doppler would help, at least until the point where I am really truly sure about movements. After that, I'll def. do kick counts.

WantingPink
February 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
I have a doppler but it is more for fun. I have been able to find the HB pretty easily since 10 weeks. I only use it once a week. It is kind of cool. My kids will listen in and when we find the HB they think they can talk to the baby through the doppler (they speak into it like a walkie talkie) so they tell the baby all kinds of really sweet and funny things. I use it as something for fun.

TeraDN
March 28th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I bought one about 6 yrs ago and I LOVE it. It has been thru 3 pregnancies with me and several of my friends have borrowed it as well. I got it off ebay. Best 200 I spent on fertility stuff. Once you get used to finding the hb and remember that sometimes when its early on, its hard to find. so stay calm and dont freak out. I used it once a day or every other day til I felt movements at about 14 weeks. Then I stopped using it.