PDA

View Full Version : Iron is just as important as Folic Acid...

purplepoet20
April 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Read your vitamin facts... do not risk your life or your babies life just to get your DG. Nothing is worth bleeding to death on the delivery table while your partner and newborn are crying in the room next to you!!!!

Yes I am trying to scare the crap out you :prof:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron/

http://www.babycenter.com/0_iron-deficiency-anemia-in-pregnancy_3073.bc

Glittergirl
April 13th, 2011, 07:02 PM
thanks!

Belle
April 14th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Oh gosh, I wanted to drop the iron for my girl sway

swish
April 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Does this mean get enough iron whilst ttc or as soon as you know you're pregnant?

purplepoet20
April 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Everyone should have some iron rich foods or supp in their diet. While dieting most people cut out foods thinking it is ok. Once you get pregnant your body will give "everything" to your baby first. If you do not have enough iron in your body then you and your baby will suffer because it takes a lot longer to get enough of any vitamin when you didn't have any in your body.

For a girl sway yes less nutri is good for the sway but you need at least the min amount of iron stored in your body, once you get preg and start prenatals your body will not have suffered a dramatic drop in iron, over the 9mths of preg the prenatals will do there job and your body will not have lost it's reserve... when delivery happens and the normal bleeding that comes (bleeding causes your body to go into shock) both mom and baby will have enough iron in their blood to get passed the delivery and go on with life without any shock.

Taking extra iron or vitamins as soon as you get preg will not work as well as one may think because your body can only absorb so much at one time. If you are low on a number of vita/mins it will take 6-18mth to build up the minimal amount your body needs. 6 mths alone is to long if you are preg because your baby will be born with a mix of problems.

How Much You Need
Here are the recommended daily allowances (in milligrams):
Premenopausal women, ages 19 to 50: 18
Postmenopausal women: 8
Pregnant women: 27
Breast-feeding women: 9 (a baby is born with a 6mth stock because of mother health, if not healthy the baby will have low iron)

Iron Rich Foods List, by Serving

Iron Rich Food Iron Content (mg)
Liver 9
Fish Paste 9
Kidney 8
Venizon 7.8
Boiled Mussels 7
Liver Pate 7
Liver Sausage 6.4
Goose 5
Shrimp 5
Sardines canned 4.5
Anchovies canned 4
Lean Beef 2.5
Pilchards canned 2.7
Heart 7.7
Pheasant 5
Whitebait 4

Other Iron Rich Foods Iron Content (mg)
Thyme ground 124
Curry Powder 58
Oat & Wheat Bran 45
Apricots 3.5
Boiled Lentils 3.5
Hazelnuts 3.2
Almonds 3
Cinnamon ground 38
Garam Masala 33
Rosemary 30
Paprika 24
Sesame Seeds 10
Wheatgerm 8.5
Liquorice 8
Cashew Nuts 6.2
Blackcurrants canned 5
Figs dried 4.2
Soya Beans 3
Wholemeal Bread 2.7
Red Kidney Beans 2.5
Watercress 2.2

Foxy
April 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for posting!

swish
April 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write all that info, that's really useful

purplepoet20
April 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Something I looked up before DS2 was born... I had the creepist dream that the baby and I died on the delivery table and my hubby had to raise DS1 by himself. Hubby can't cook so my son would have been raised on fast food.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Oh gosh, I wanted to drop the iron for my girl sway

Drop it, it is fine to drop it for awhile. You shouldn't sway for longer than 6 months anyway and you will still be getting some iron through other foods.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Read your vitamin facts... do not risk your life or your babies life just to get your DG. Nothing is worth bleeding to death on the delivery table while your partner and newborn are crying in the room next to you!!!!

Yes I am trying to scare the crap out you :prof:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron/

http://www.babycenter.com/0_iron-deficiency-anemia-in-pregnancy_3073.bc

Here's the thing though. First of all you will only be swaying for a few months and then have 9 months of pregnancy to make up for it.

Secondly, healthy baby humans have been conceived and born for millions of years on very little food compared to what we modern humans eat. Socrates, Aristotle, Mozart, even Einstein, were conceived and carried without vitamin pills and without enriched white flour. If anything the problem in the modern world is OVERnutrition, not undernutrition, and many researchers think that iron supplementation may even be linked to health problems (it is not "normal" for people to eat as much meat and fortified foods as we do.)

It is fine for most people to not take iron supplements while swaying. It's actually fine for most people not to take iron supplements anyway. One slice of white bread has 6% of your day's iron and 1 serving of spaghetti has 10%. And if you have serious health issues anyway, you probably shouldn't sway.

I would NEVER EVER EVER tell anyone to do anything that is unsafe.

Flava
April 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Im just fine without iron pills. When Im pregnant usually Im low on iron...but here is the thing, I CAN'T take it. I get very sick from extra Iron sups and I throw it up and there is nothing I can do about it. ( but I take prenatal vit. and eat healthy)
So even the doc. told me to stop trying to take it because it's just makes me very sick. And I did not bleed much with any of my births.