PDA

View Full Version : Progesterone

harleyquinn
February 17th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Any success stories with using this?

I did use for my Oct loss baby so it didn't help there.

This time, was supposed to wait one week after AF due, to make sure it wasn't chemical....???? Then OB called me Friday to see when I was going to start taking it. (vag 3x a day) Which I did NOT because I felt m/c was imminent and didn't want to prolong the limbo.

I see other people start it after confirmed O. Is this better?

Losing this little one, so trying to figure out a plan of attack for ttc again (if at all). If I thought the progesterone on board (sooner?) would make a difference, maybe would have more confidence.

I see Infertitility DR on Tues and rheumatologist on Wed for the blood clotting issues so hopefully will get a plan going but real life experiences are always helpful. The infertility doctor had already told me that due to my age "it is probably best to move on". URGH. But definitely getting to that point of wanting to move on because this just sucks out loud.

LacePrincess
February 18th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I'm very very sorry that you're going through this again, harley. :( I'd really been hoping this was going to be a healthy bean for you.

I don't have personal experience using prog but I've read up quite a bit on it since I've always had LP issues. What I do know is that to be effective (assuming low prog is the problem), it pretty much has to be administered right after O to have a chance of being effective enough to prevent the loss. If taken after the lining already starts to shed it's too late.

Also recent schools of thought seem divided on prog.....now it seems like some experts believe that low progesterone is a symptom of a problematic pregnancy and not a cause, so adding prog would only 'prop up' an unhealthy bean that would be lost later on and thus just delaying the inevitable. So I'm not really sure. My unscientific gut feeling is that if you've had successful live births before then low progesterone is more likely going to be a symptom and not a cause.

Again I'm really sorry this is happening again, and I hope you can come to peace with whatever you decide regarding trying again.

Sihaya
February 18th, 2013, 03:12 PM
My experience with using progesterone is that using over-the-counter supplements or taking prescription supplements in cream form or orally will only mask a miscarriage when it does happen. Same with starting supplements once you already know you are pregnant.

With my second son, I started taking Prometrium vaginally as soon as ovulation was confirmed. This was after having had two missed miscarriages in a row (one where I used OTC progesterone cream well after getting a BFP and one where I did not supplement with progesterone at all). I did a lot of other things to prevent miscarriage with that pregnancy so it could have not been the thing that worked, but seeing as it was successful, I will not TTC without progesterone supplementation in the future.

sugarNspice
February 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
My RE has me take it starting 3 days after o. I have had two successful full term births without it, but I also have a short luteal phase, so I feel that I can only help and can't hurt. I have had only one m/c with it, and that one was a later loss and almost certainly not due to progesterone issues. Progesterone has many benefits--increasing the uterine lining's receptivity to implantation, increasing the maternal immune system's tolerance of the embryo--and the supplementation has not been shown to increase risks to the embryo. So I feel it's worthwhile to take it.
But, yes, you need to start soon after ovulation in order to gain full benefit--since this hormone's presence signals to the endometrium to get ready for implantation, you want levels to be higher before the embryo makes its way down the fallopian tube.
Does it help prevent miscarriage? I think most studies have not shown a clear benefit. Certainly it won't prevent losses if you're dealing with chromosomally abnormal embryos, or with another separate problem. But it probably can't hurt, and might help, so why not use it?

The Anchor
February 19th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Shit harley, I'm so sorry. My doc gave me the whole "move on senior citizen" speech too.

A friend IRL lost 3 pregnancies in a row, and then had a successful live birth on her 4th go with progesterone suppositories AFTER confirmed O. BUT, she went the same route a couple years later, and another m/c.

harleyquinn
February 20th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Well, the only time I really get the gist of my age is when I read a People magazine and realize Prince William is balding. THIS makes me feel old. LOL...I remember watching the wedding on TV...and now their child is balding??? You have to be kidding me!!!

The Anchor
February 21st, 2013, 12:05 PM
LOL...there was a character on Survivor this year from a REALLY old tv show called The Facts of Life. And I think there was only one guy on Survivor who actually recognized her. And he was the token old guy. That made me feel ancient.

harleyquinn
February 21st, 2013, 10:19 PM
Oh I knew Blair. Trust me ;)

Rainbow baby
March 5th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I am sorry for your loss HQ <3

harleyquinn
March 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
RAinbow...I'm still pregnant....I guess a lady can cramp and bleed and still hold a baby because its still there! I really notice the bleeding comes on with activity...if I go do my errands, I come home and I am bleeding so....idk

But my numbers are good right now and I'm getting a draw every 2 days and they suddenly tripled out of nowhere. First ultrasound next week...I will be 9 weeks by then :fx:

The Anchor
March 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM
RAinbow...I'm still pregnant....I guess a lady can cramp and bleed and still hold a baby because its still there! I really notice the bleeding comes on with activity...if I go do my errands, I come home and I am bleeding so....idk

But my numbers are good right now and I'm getting a draw every 2 days and they suddenly tripled out of nowhere. First ultrasound next week...I will be 9 weeks by then :fx:

That is awesome news harley, I've been thinking about you. I'll be stalking your u/s results.

harleyquinn
March 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you <3

Bad news is, I just got a call from Dr's office and my number didn't budge since last week so they are going to scan me this afternoon :(

The Anchor
March 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Oh no :( How did it turn out?

Butterfly Spirit
March 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
:(

xx

mommymachine
March 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Hope everything went ok. Thinking of you.

harleyquinn
March 6th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Well we got a heartbeat but hcg did not increase as of the latest bloodwork and I am now bleeding again.

These are the worst updates...:(

I am still optimistic...I am. I said to Drs office, I will continue to come in for bloodwork but right now, I do not want to know the number. (head in the sand) I will just wait to see what happens and see baby again at next week ultrasound. I have 4 other kids to take care of and I can't be getting upset over numbers.

The Anchor
March 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
But a heartbeat is GREAT news - take it and run. You're absolutely right, don't let the numbers stress you out, IMO the h/b trumps the numbers. Stay strong.

harleyquinn
March 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I know...but its hard when your last baby had a heartbeat at 8 weeks and 11 weeks and then didn't. Hopefully I will fall on the right side of statistics this time.

:cheer: for the nice heartbeat though...I was crying like an idiot ;)

The Anchor
March 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM
There is still a very good chance that this bean will stick. You know I'm cheering for you...

deaks66
March 7th, 2013, 02:25 PM
gosh what a rollercoaster... stick little bean!

onthepond
March 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM
GOOD LUCK HQ! Keep us posted!

harleyquinn
March 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Thank you so much. :hugs:

What I found out today is I have a subchorionic hematoma which is the cause of the bleeding! This is a relief to me because I don't have to think a m/c is starting every time I bleed. I had one with my 4th son and he is very healthy and I know it can all work out.

So I am taking the SCH as good news! :) :) Hopefully it just goes away and causes no issues!

The Anchor
March 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
AWESOME news! (lol - if being diagnosed with a hematoma is awesome :))

nuthinbutpink
March 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM
What about the betas not moving? Didn't that happen twice if I remember your posts correctly.

harleyquinn
March 17th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yes it did but I seriously suspect lab error for the first one. And the second one, I guess when you hit 6 weeks, they don't necessarily have to move very quickly?? It only went up about 500 "points" (?? not sure the measurement LOL) over 24 hours but baby had a heartbeat so you have to choose number or heartbeat to focus on.

No idea what they are now but there's a point you have to let the numbers go.

Now my biggest worry is baby measured 8+3 at my 9+1 appt...thats ok, right??

The Anchor
March 18th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Yes it did but I seriously suspect lab error for the first one. And the second one, I guess when you hit 6 weeks, they don't necessarily have to move very quickly?? It only went up about 500 "points" (?? not sure the measurement LOL) over 24 hours but baby had a heartbeat so you have to choose number or heartbeat to focus on.

No idea what they are now but there's a point you have to let the numbers go.

Now my biggest worry is baby measured 8+3 at my 9+1 appt...thats ok, right??

YES that's totally fine. The "art of measuring" is a rare skill...I've been to more than one u/s where the tech took about a half second to do 10 measurements, which ranged from 10w5d to 14w1d at my 12w3d u/s. The computer takes an average of them all, no matter how lousy the tech is. I came out of my 12w3d with an 11w1d estimate. Six weeks later, more experienced tech obviously, results were my EXACT estimate of 18w6d.

strawberrymom
March 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
harley- Your dr doesn't sound like the best so I wouldn't be suprised if they are off on the measurement a bit. Glad they finally figured out the hematoma. I know that the first u/s they like to do earlier (6-8 weeks I think) because as time goes on the measurement is less reliable.

harleyquinn
March 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah the Dr I was going to for the m/c issues was no good...her *real* speciality was reconstructing vaginas so.....yeah, very glad to be away from her and her magic progesterone suppositories

So now I am just going to the regular Women's Clinic and they are very nice but got referred to a high-risk doctor that I start with next week. Hopefully he is nice because I really don't enjoy snippy doctors...hey who does?? LOL