PDA

View Full Version : Can you start the boy diet too early?? (Atomic?)

Hobbermittens
April 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM
This hadn't occurred to me until I saw the snippet in Atomic's article on TBM:

"The longer people go on without getting a BFP, the more likely it is that they will give up on things that have A LOT of science backing them up, primarily diet factors. And even if you are very very dedicated to diet and do it 100%, the longer you remain on a diet, the less "shocking" it is to your body and your natural body chemistry may start to overcome the effects of the diet."

SO. If I am planning on TTC :ttcboy: in October, is it too early to be doing the diet now? I haven't been doing all the stuff, just adding nuts and more meat and tomatoes and salt, decreasing dairy, and drinking a ton of lemon water and green tea.

Should I wait???

TTC5
April 14th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I started 8 weeks ago and will be tring in another 7-8.... hope I'm not too early either :S

nuthinbutpink
April 14th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I think as long as you don't go crazy with supps that it is okay especially with the boy diet. You don't want to stay on a high sodium diet for too long. If you up your sodium the last 3 months to the high levels, I think it would be just fine to implement the rest now!

begonia
April 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I had this exact question Hobbermittens! I too am not TTC til October. I hadn't read that particular quote Atomic wrote... I wonder if we should wait til more like late July to be "on" the TW plan? Here I was thinking that the longer the better b/c I thought perhaps my body chemistry would change... *sigh* Just when you think you've got your plan figured out.

NBP great point re: sodium.

gizmo77
April 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I had this exact question Hobbermittens! I too am not TTC til October. I hadn't read that particular quote Atomic wrote... I wonder if we should wait til more like late July to be "on" the TW plan? Here I was thinking that the longer the better b/c I thought perhaps my body chemistry would change... *sigh* Just when you think you've got your plan figured out.

NBP great point re: sodium.

thats a good point too. i dont plan on TTC Boy until sept, so im not starting full blown until july. but is shocking the body teh way to go or letting your body become accustomed to the changes better? like if your body is used to all the changes, and say you dont get pg one month if you cont the diet your chances are still better for a boy bc your body is used to the boy diet.

also whats TW?

begonia
April 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
TW is Trivers Willard, which is the approach Atomic promotes where you eat a wide variety of nutrients, lots of protein, aim for building muscle ... all about being in the "best" physical condition you can be.

Gizmo that is exactly what I thought too! That letting your body be accustomed to the diet for several months pre TTC would be an advantage. My thought was that by diet/supps for 6 months my body would genuinely become more "boy friendly" rather than just "tricking" it by doing things for 6 weeks. But it sounds like maybe not?!?! Maybe tricking it is what we are supposed to do, rather than truly aim to change it?

Personally I did plan on waiting until 3 months prior to start any of the stuff like ASG/baking soda drinks/mucinex that I consider to be more for those actively TTC.

daisyfay311
April 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
thats a good point too. i dont plan on TTC Boy until sept, so im not starting full blown until july. but is shocking the body teh way to go or letting your body become accustomed to the changes better? like if your body is used to all the changes, and say you dont get pg one month if you cont the diet your chances are still better for a boy bc your body is used to the boy diet.

also whats TW?

TW is the Trivers Willard or whatever, it's a type of diet hypothesis where you eat more calories I think

LolaInLove
April 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I technically was on the diet for 8 months! But I only did hardcore supps the last few. *gulp*

Flava
April 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM

"The longer people go on without getting a BFP, the more likely it is that they will give up on things that have A LOT of science backing them up, primarily diet factors. And even if you are very very dedicated to diet and do it 100%, the longer you remain on a diet, the less "shocking" it is to your body and your natural body chemistry may start to overcome the effects of the diet."

SO. If I am planning on TTC :ttcboy: in October, is it too early to be doing the diet now? I haven't been doing all the stuff, just adding nuts and more meat and tomatoes and salt, decreasing dairy, and drinking a ton of lemon water and green tea.

Should I wait???

omg Im exactly the same here!!! But I think we are doing it good because we only eat and drink , right? no sups no hard drinks and still eat some dairy too!

Flava
April 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Gizmo that is exactly what I thought too! That letting your body be accustomed to the diet for several months pre TTC would be an advantage. My thought was that by diet/supps for 6 months my body would genuinely become more "boy friendly" rather than just "tricking" it by doing things for 6 weeks. But it sounds like maybe not?!?! Maybe tricking it is what we are supposed to do, rather than truly aim to change it?

I was thinking the same...isn't becoming boy friendly ,so have a boy friendly body better then just tricking it so your body "thinks" it's boy friendly??
Doing it so with the long diet without sups/hard drinks?

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Should I wait???

That is WAY more for those trying to sway pink than for blue swayers. I do not think it is too early for you to start now at all and I think it's actually great that you are doing what you're doing. Testosterone takes its own sweet time to rise so the sooner, the better.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
TW is Trivers Willard, which is the approach Atomic promotes where you eat a wide variety of nutrients, lots of protein, aim for building muscle ... all about being in the "best" physical condition you can be.

Personally I did plan on waiting until 3 months prior to start any of the stuff like ASG/baking soda drinks/mucinex that I consider to be more for those actively TTC.

Again, that advice is much more for the pink swayers who really need their bodies to think times are hard - it's much easier for their bodies to get used to less calories and adjust.

For blue, I think slow and steady is the way to go and I'm sorry for any confusion.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I think as long as you don't go crazy with supps that it is okay especially with the boy diet. You don't want to stay on a high sodium diet for too long. If you up your sodium the last 3 months to the high levels, I think it would be just fine to implement the rest now!

EXACTLY! It is more the supps and sodium that you need to watch out for. The boy diet isn't that great for you in terms of sodium so you wouldn't want to start it very far in advance (same with fat and calories as well), but more lean protein and more fruits and vegetables can be started whenever you want.

My advice is to start early BUT make sure you are lifting weights, so any additional nutrition will go into your muscles and not around your waistline!!

Hobbermittens
April 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM
EXACTLY! It is more the supps and sodium that you need to watch out for. The boy diet isn't that great for you in terms of sodium so you wouldn't want to start it very far in advance (same with fat and calories as well), but more lean protein and more fruits and vegetables can be started whenever you want.

My advice is to start early BUT make sure you are lifting weights, so any additional nutrition will go into your muscles and not around your waistline!!

I am trying to motivate to lift weights, or do some kind of exercise. I am not a big fan of exercise... but I am going to get HUGE on this diet if I don't!!

skrimpy
April 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
For me I did the TW-style diet for many months before my boy sway (trying to get my cycles normalized) and started the boys supps closer to our sway for our 2yo (successful boy sway). With this surprise girl I am pg with now I had just stopped the "boy diet" a couple months earlier and we got a girl (also had around a 4-5 day cutoff... I still can't believe I got pg lol).

I will start (or rather, continue, I'm eating it now in pregnancy) the boy diet once this baby is born and keep it up, even though we're thinking not to conceive the next baby until late 2012/early 2013. I will start supps once my cycles start back again from breastfeeding. I will start doing some body-weight based exercise after I get the OK at my 6 week postpartum visit, though.

That's just my plan!

atomic sagebrush
April 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I am trying to motivate to lift weights, or do some kind of exercise. I am not a big fan of exercise... but I am going to get HUGE on this diet if I don't!!

I know! The exercise is really a critical component if only for your own health so you can gain muscle rather than fat! It's SO good for women to have some muscle mass just for your bone health because muscle helps fight osteoporosis.

Flava
April 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I Have this old Gunnar Peterson dvd 20min. workout. Mostly working with dumbbells and some sit ups on the ball. (I don't do the jump around with the ball ) so I do this like 4-5 times /week. Started wit 2 3lbs dumbbells and now I have 5lbs. Hope I can go up to 8 or 10.
Also have this jelly belly so sit ups are good for me.LOL

atomic sagebrush
April 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I Have this old Gunnar Peterson dvd 20min. workout. Mostly working with dumbbells and some sit ups on the ball. (I don't do the jump around with the ball ) so I do this like 4-5 times /week. Started wit 2 3lbs dumbbells and now I have 5lbs. Hope I can go up to 8 or 10.
Also have this jelly belly so sit ups are good for me.LOL

:agree: You can also do some squats and pushups too and they only take a couple extra minutes. Your thigh and butt muscles are the biggest in the body (don't I know it SIGH) so working them even just a bit can really up your testosterone.