PDA

View Full Version : Morning sickness relief?

hollyberry7
April 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hi ladies - We plan to start TTC #1 this summer and I'm so excited about going through pregnancy for the first time, however, I am borderline phobic about throwing up :worry: Do any of you have any recommendations/secrets on how to relieve morning sickness (should it occur, hopefully not!)? Any advice would be appreciated!

Foxy
April 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Ginger and vit. B6 helped me with my MS. Not all women get morning sickness, so maybe you will get spared!

praying4princess
April 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Ok hollyberry, I have heard that B6 helps with morning sickness, but Ive never tried it! I had extreme morning sickness with both of my pregnancies, and by that I mean all I did was throw up, couldnt even hold down water....NOTHING!!! With my ds1 it lasted till I was in my 5th month, I was on Phenergan 4x a day to help! With my ds2 it lasted through my 3rd month. With him the Phenergan didnt work, and I was in the hospital for a week dehydrated! So my doctor decided to alternate Phenergan and Zofran evry 4 hours. Once I was able to get some fluids in me it helped! What he told me was find the one thing that you can hold down and just eat or drink that! Even if its not very nutricious, its better than nothing! I found in the hospital, biscuits was the one thing I could hold down, and then the nurse mentioned trying to dilute some sprite with water, and it worked wonders!!! She said water is one the worst things to drink, for some reason, I dont remember why! So if you should get sick just try to find the one thing thats not atrocious to you and stick with that! Also try not to be in the same room when your hubby is cooking because that smell with be deathly!! Lol I used to sit in my room with the door closed. Fresh air is always good! Supposedly ginger is a natural nausea reliever also.

Im sure there are others who mays have some good secrets!! I also wouldnt mind hearing them, because I just know with my last 2 experiences its not good for me! Lol I have my doctor ready to call my meds in though as soon as I get a +hpt!!! Good luck, and try to remember, IF you get sick, it will not last forever! Just try to work through it, and find that secret that works for you and soon youll be feeling better able able to enjoy this special time!

purplepoet20
April 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Stick to lite meals... small less then 1 cup worth of food every 3-4 hours. The more you eat at one time the more likely you are to loose it. Don't eat under cooked meats or anything with raw eggs. Limit things like tomatoes, pineapple, citris fruits, and greasy. Lite yogurts, pasta, rice, saltines, and ginger ell seem to be the things most people can handle. Never eat fast or big bits (count as you chew), this way if you start to feel funny you can sit back a relax a second before continuing.

I had it bad with DS1, 9mths straight, I ate big meals 4 times a day and lost most of it. I thought if I am throwing up I need to eat more for the baby. But I didn't realize the baby was saying no I don't want this it is bad for me. With DS2 I ate things that didn't make me sick and had a healthy 8 lb baby and morning sickness for 3mths.

LolaInLove
April 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I totally agree with the light meals, it is helping me over my very very slight bit of it now. I have a bunch of tricks, because I work and can't be taking time off, and these helped me so much with #2! I take a b12 pill (it actually has 800mg of folic in it also) in addition to my prenatal, and I think the b vits do help. I eat little bits of ginger candy or crystallized ginger (like dried with some natural sugar on it) and drink ginger ale. Keep a box of crackers by your bedside and eat a few the second you wake up, before you tummy gives you time to get all gnarly and hungry. I recently bought some (in anticipation of bad m/s!) at BuyBuyBaby called Tummy Crackers or something like that. They are in little individual packs and have a bit on ginger in them. You can get PreggiePops and other hard candies to suck on there too. I also got SeaBands, which are little accupressure bands for sea sickness that work beautifully for any nausea....they have a little nub on the underside that gently presses your anti-nausea pressure point. Drink lots of lemon water, and anytime you have a craving for something or have a time that you don't feel bad, EAT! Taking a rest helps a lot also. HTH!

Freya
April 15th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I totally agree with all the above. In the mornings, I put on the acupressure bands before the sickness even starts, and I also chop up fresh ginger and pour boiling water over it. I find it really helpful to have with breakfast, but it's also useful in case there is a bad smell that makes me retch - just smell the ginger tea and it feels a lot better :) . Secondly, my nausea seems to come in waves, not only during the days, but in a sequence of days as well. Sometimes it means eat something light, sometimes it means I need more sleep. It actually tells me to go to bed at night. I agree with purplepoet - listen to the nausea and obey ;) .

LolaInLove
April 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Well put, Purple and Freya.....obey the nausea!

Flava
April 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Nothing ever helped me at all. But no1 said you get m/s! I did not have any with DD1:agree:

hollyberry7
April 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Wow, thanks so much for all of this wonderful advice!!! I need to print these out and keep them on hand just in case. You all are great! I have the sea bands for car sickness, so I'll definitely use those. Even though I'm not pregnant yet, I'm preparing myself mentally :-)

3Pink1Blue
June 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm jumping in cause I'm kinda a ms expert lol
Ginger tea or candy/ginger ale; lemon (smells or tastes) I loved club soda with lemon; 50mg b-6 3xday; change your pre-natal vitamin, believe it or not they don't all react the same; Preggie pops work wonders; peppermint anything; lavender smells; if you crave something eat it no matter how nasty, w/dd#1 chocolate frosted chocolate donuts stopped my ms in it's tracks.

skrimpy
June 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM
B6 and dandelion caps helped me. Honestly too what helped me was eating - regular high protein that I wanted. So easy stuff for me was yogurt and peanut butter toast. I also cut food up small and ate slowly so I didn't gag. That made a big difference in helping me keep things down and get over the MS!

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Two words - Jolly Ranchers. Those things are like magic for curing morning sickness. Pop one in your mouth right when you wake up, before you get out of bed. I went from barfing every single morning with DS 1 to only barfing once with each subsequent pregnancy.

pastelpicnic
June 4th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I love this thread!!!! I always have just done saltine crackers and ginger ale. I think I will try b6, candy, and wrist bands this next time!!! Thanks again ladies for all the awesome m/s tips! :bigsmile: