PDA

View Full Version : Girl Name

xokatietatie
February 21st, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm not even 7 weeks yet, but I am someone who worries about names. I absolutely adore my great grandmother's name. She was one of the greatest women who ever lived and one of my role models. I've always thought her name was beautiful. However, when I mentioned it to a good friend I began to question whether it would be a good choice or not. As soon as the name came out of my mouth, the look on her face said it all! She clearly didn't like it. So, what do you all think about the name Birdella? This name reminds me of my great-grandmother, and brings me such joy. People would sometimes call her Bird or Birdie, which I also love. I don't want to use a name people are going to think is terrible though. Do you think it is a name people would make fun of?

Wanting-a-girl
February 21st, 2013, 04:54 PM
I think that's a name that kids will most likely make fun of :( maybe make it the middle name

xokatietatie
February 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
There is not another name we agree on. I suggested Ruby, Stella and Violet. DH shot down all of those. DS1 mentioned Margaret, which I like, but DH shot it down too. The only name he seemed to like besides Birdella was Caroline. I don't dislike that name, but I don't want it shorted to Carol, Carrie or Cara.

Thorz300
February 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
I think it's quite unique and could be cute, however, I do think its a name that wll be made fun of or she will be called bird or birdie. I think birdie is a cute nickname though. I agree with maybe middle name

Hobbermittens
February 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
I think Birdie is cute, but Birdella is.... different. I think it would probably be made fun of. Unfortunately, lots of the older names don't hold up these days. :(

Thorz300
February 21st, 2013, 05:01 PM
You still have plenty of time

Hobbermittens
February 21st, 2013, 05:01 PM
I know a little girl called Caroline, and her family doesn't shorten it. What about Maggie? It is a cute nickname for Margaret.

Hobbermittens
February 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
P.S> Have you tried Nymbler.com? Put in the names that you like and it will generate names that are similar.

Wanting-a-girl
February 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM
I think ultimately if you love then you should use it... When I was preg with ds3 I was dead set on naming him Ezra and literally every one hated it even DH and his name Is Ezra and I couldn't be happier with my desicion :)

Violet_
February 21st, 2013, 06:08 PM
I agree, I don't think that Birdella would be very well received by children, who can be mean and unthoughtful. I love the names Violet, Ruby and Stella though. Perhaps choose one of those and your darling hubby can just get over it. He will eventually come around I think to anything you want if you are set on it. Unless he really doesn't like it. But it is up to you, if you really want Birdella then go ahead with it.

xokatietatie
February 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
He pretty much told me he detests all of the names I've suggested. Girl names are just SO HARD for us!!

pebmcpd7
February 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM
With every pregnancy we always said if we had a girl, we would call her Lenaig (Lena). My DH's mother was called Helena and everyone called her Lena. She died when he was16. He wants to call a girl Lenaig-Kate after both Grandmothers, my mum is called Kathleen. I always agreed and everyone would love it!! But now I like the name Roisin, if only I was having twin girls LOL!!

xokatietatie
February 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM
My name is Kathleen!! I actually suggested Kate as a middle name for Birdella, after my other great grandmother.

strawberrymom
February 21st, 2013, 08:12 PM
What about Ella or Della as a shortened version of her name?

xokatietatie
February 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
My good friend is due any day now, and they're naming their daughter Ella. I keep trying to think of other names.

BabyCakesTor
February 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
My DH vetoed every name I brought up before we knew the sex. He says he can't vision a name unless he knew boy or girl. It makes sense, men are just different when it comes to pregnancy and baby....

Personally Birdie is a nickname people I know called this girl name Birtha. If you like the nickname birdie, use it as a first name... It's (IMO) a billion times better than birdella. If you've ever seen Hope Floats Sandra Bullucks character is named Birdie.

Southern Butterfly
February 23rd, 2013, 10:54 PM
I'm all about going with your heart and choosing a name that has meaning to you. I do like Birdie better than Birdella personally but don't let anyone talk you out of what your heart tells you is the right name. Good luck!

Cinss
February 24th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Each to their own, we have chosen a very old fashioned name for our next baby and our DD has an unusual name. I didnt put any thought into "what other people may think" and i love our kids names, yeah we get the "it grows on you, the first time i heard it i was like whaaat???" but evntually the child grows into the name and you wouldn't imagine them being anything else. Im sure if Birdella was heard more (as it will be if you use it) it will seem normal to everyone in your life.

lovemy4
February 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Reminds me of the movie Hope Floats. I think Birdie is kinda cute, but Birdella is a bit "out there". I love Caroline, though :)

Tree
February 25th, 2013, 02:35 AM
I'm not even 7 weeks yet, but I am someone who worries about names. I absolutely adore my great grandmother's name. She was one of the greatest women who ever lived and one of my role models. I've always thought her name was beautiful. However, when I mentioned it to a good friend I began to question whether it would be a good choice or not. As soon as the name came out of my mouth, the look on her face said it all! She clearly didn't like it. So, what do you all think about the name Birdella? This name reminds me of my great-grandmother, and brings me such joy. People would sometimes call her Bird or Birdie, which I also love. I don't want to use a name people are going to think is terrible though. Do you think it is a name people would make fun of?

I like it! A different name adds character in my opinion. Plus it's cute. Anyway names become people so whatever you choose will be perfect. There are always going to be people with something to say but what matters it what you like!!

BunnyGirl19
February 27th, 2013, 08:40 PM
It's different and not a bad name. It does seem a bit outdated though. Birdie would be a cute nickname, but I agree with the others on making it a middle name.

xokatietatie
March 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I actually talked to some friends, and I've decided to just go for it if it is a girl. DH and I love the name and that's all that matters.

Mandy_S
March 5th, 2013, 07:31 PM
This is exactly why we keep our names secret until the baby is born haha If you love it and Dh loves it, I say go for it!!! I think it's actually very pretty

xokatietatie
March 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM
This is exactly why we keep our names secret until the baby is born haha If you love it and Dh loves it, I say go for it!!! I think it's actually very pretty

Thanks Mandy_S :bighug:

mommymachine
March 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I'm actually surprised that your getting so much negative feedback...I LOVE the name. It's really cute! I love the nn of birdie too.

ELP
March 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I agree:) You should use the name you both love! And birdie is the coolest nickname:agree:

mumof6
March 23rd, 2013, 03:59 AM
i think it's sweet :)
we keep our names a secret until birth - people dont have much to say after the baby is born and named but they have every opinion under the sun when they ask what you are naming baby and they "yuck" everything or have some rude remark to go with it.
we have chose a unique name for our baby if a girl teamed with an old fashioned middle name and that is "us" to a tee i refuse to change it because of other peoples opinions.
if you second guess your decusion and change the baby's name from something you really love to a name that you think other people will like you will defiinately regret it
yours and dh's opinions are the only ones that matter

Am3a
March 23rd, 2013, 07:37 AM
When I first saw it, I immediately saw 'Bridezilla'. Sorry! :-(

What about Bridie?

There's a gorgeous Australian actress named Bridie Carter - I love the name because if her.

auroara78
March 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Katie,

i love the name and I think you should def. do it if you have a girl. There's always something about every name that could be a target, imo. My name is Virginia and I live in the same state (and I still hear about it, even now that I'm a grown woman) but my mom felt very strongly about it, I was named after her mother, who was very ill, and the name just really fits me. So, I am proud she followed her heart.