PDA

View Full Version : is there a chance I can create a normal girl?

mydream
April 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I just went through my first IVF cycle in hopes of having a girl. We have 2 healthy sons with no fertility issues. I am 38. I had 13 eggs retrieved, 9 were mature, 7 fertilized. 5 made to blastocyst and of those 5 only 1 normal male, 3 abnormal females and 1 abnormal male. We did ICSI and a comprehensive chromosomal screening on day 5. The ? is-- is it possible that my dh and I just can't create a normal female?

Carole
April 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Dear mydream,
This question is outside my area of expertise. I have found that most of the testing labs that we have used for patients also had geneticists on staff who were willing to talk to our patients about results and they might be able to answer your question. Your IVF lab should be able to give you some contact information. You did not say why the embryos are abnormal, if it is age-related aneuploidy, it might just be random and bad luck that you had no normal females this time but I would ask a genetics expert to help interpret your results. Best wishes, Carole.

mydream
April 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks Carole-
The dr. who gave me the results this AM told me that one was missing chromosome 21, one had turners syndrome and 1 was missing chromosome 1 ( I am pretty sure). His thought was that this was randomness. My DH and I both had chromosomal testing done before we had kids ( I had one very early miscarriage) and results came back normal. Any other thoughts?

Carole
April 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I don't have any special insight. I still recommend trying to talk to a geneticist/genetic counselor associated with the testing lab if you still have questions. Often, this is included in the testing price but you can ask your lab. I have found genetic counselors to be very compassionate and easy to talk to.