PDA

View Full Version : When will you all pack your hospital Bag ?

Mum23boys
March 8th, 2013, 03:10 PM
And what will be in it ? Im moderating my list from last time cos although I dont technically need one i pack one "just in case" something happens in my homebirth and I have to transfer in.

Mommyof3boys
March 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Good question. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I know I have plenty of time but I hate waiting till the last minute because I always think of things that I should have brought and we are 30 minutes from the hospital so it will be hard to get things we forgot afterwards. I think I am going to start purchasing the things that I will have new in the bag (toiletries, etc) and making a list of what I want to bring so I can add to it if I think of other things. I am definetly bringing some of my own clothes though. I hated wearing those hospital gowns after I had ds1 and didn't think I needed to bring extra clothes so I was basically stuck in them for 2 days. With the other 2 I brought clothes to wear and sleep in and was much more comfortable. I'm not sure exactly what I will being so I cant wait to hear everyone's suggestions.

Mrs_P
March 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
With my first i took three bags - very over the top, everything off the lists and had it packed from 37 weeks as instructed. With my last i threw a few things in a bag a day or before and forgot to take it when i left (although i didn't think i was stopping then - i'd booked a home birth but had some bleeding so i went in and became high risk and they kept me in), my hubby had to bring it up when the grandparents arrived to watch the kids

Praying4Pink
March 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Well the last time I had the basic list plus my laptop and breast pump. I did mine before 37 weeks because I am just crazy like that. This time I will pretty much be sticking to the same list I used the last time. I didn't find it too extensive. I am already working on packing it (at 25 weeks) just because...again I'm crazy like that, lol. Some things that I would def include: nursing bras, full undies, night gowns/pjs, soft socks with grips, flip flops (and shower shoes if you have them), toiletries (travel size to save space), hospital documents, camera. Def if you plan to breast feed take your pump and a few accessories like lanolin cream and pads. And of course things that you wish you had during the last delivery and leave out things you didn't use.

cvd
March 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Praying4Pink and I were just discussing this on the main thread lol. I have also started getting things ready to go and Praying4Pink's list is what mine is like too lol fresh fruit/veggies is also on there for me. Luckily, I live 2 mins away from the hospital and there is a Walmart right next door to it so if I forget anything it's super easy to have someone bring it in. The only thing I wish I did differently from last time was the fresh fruit and veggies!!!! Everyone kept bringing me junk food - this time I am packing my own friggen fruit/veggie/healthy snacks supply (I ended up with an enema last time just so they could send me home so I'm doing as much as I can to avoid that this time). I feel a bit better knowing exactly when I'm going in (fingers crossed Hudson doesn't decide to make an even earlier entrance though of course).
Ou and I should add - I'm not sure about the hospitals in your area but here they supply NOTHING for you or baby so I also have on my list my pads, diapers/wipes etc.

Atsaukina1
March 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I don't. Kinda like wishing for bad luck to me. I figure if I need to transfer it will be an emergency situation( I would never transfer for fatigue or something been throuhg this 4x already lol.) and whatever I might need can be brought at a later time.

Atsaukina1
March 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM
cvd- here they do supply you with dipes,wipes,pads, and sedn home with some too. They would need to have some there to supply those that don't have any and are not as prepared as others:)

Atsaukina1
March 8th, 2013, 08:54 PM
oh DON'T FORGET THE CAMERA ladies!!! :)

cvd
March 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
cvd- here they do supply you with dipes,wipes,pads, and sedn home with some too. They would need to have some there to supply those that don't have any and are not as prepared as others:)

Here at ours when you register they send you home with a list and a warning to ensure you have all things ready. They keep nothing on hand of that sort, no diapers wipes pads formula etc nothing! That's government health care for ya lol.

Mommyof3boys
March 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Here you could pretty much not even pack a bag if you wanted. I only bring personal stuff for me and a few things for the baby. The hospital we went to before didn't really even want you dressing the baby in their own clothes or using your own blankets so they didn't have to keep it separate from theirs. They have little white shirts for them to wear and blankets for you to use until you get ready to go home.

Rosie85
March 9th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Laptop, camera, old underwear, sweatpants, pump, ipod, baby clothes, insurance cards, toothbrush, hair brush, some make-up so I can feel prettier afterward, haha. That's about it....

I don't ever pack a bag really ahead of time...starting at 38 weeks I kind of set what I would need by the bag at night, make sure things are charged etc. So it's a grab and go or if I had an emergency someone would be able to come home and get it all for me and it's easy to find in one spot. I will throw the clothes in a bag and the pump but that's about it. You can't pack your toothbrush and such ahead of time!

NearlyDone
March 9th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Around 38/39 weeks lol........all 5 of my babies were within 3 days of due date so i feel pretty secure i wont need it before than lol

Mommyof3boys
March 9th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Do I need to bring a breast pump to the hospital? I haven't breastfeed before but I am planning to with this baby. I purchased a Medela pump but wasn't planning on taking it t the hospital is it something that I would need there? I didn't think I would really need it yet but I really don't know much about breastfeeding yet.

Atsaukina1
March 9th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Here at ours when you register they send you home with a list and a warning to ensure you have all things ready. They keep nothing on hand of that sort, no diapers wipes pads formula etc nothing! That's government health care for ya lol.

what about people that haven't registered or homeless people or people that weren't seeking medical care. that just seems insane so they would let a babe just sit w/o a diaper or mom just bleed all over herself. they have to have those items. wow i know a lot of us in America talk about having free ins. like Canada but that sounds crazy.

Atsaukina1
March 9th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Do I need to bring a breast pump to the hospital? I haven't breastfeed before but I am planning to with this baby. I purchased a Medela pump but wasn't planning on taking it t the hospital is it something that I would need there? I didn't think I would really need it yet but I really don't know much about breastfeeding yet.

If you are planning on nursing then you should not use a pump until you need to and nursing is well established. Pumps do not have the same suck as nursing and some women don't get very much milk from them(also since the same hormones are not at work)which would give you a false since that you didn't have "enough" milk. The most important thing that will make nursing easier is getting the latch right (having babe open wide) and nursing often. anytime you here a sound from babe they are either wet or want some boobie:)

Atsaukina1
March 9th, 2013, 08:34 AM
nursed all 4 and still nursing my youngest:)

cvd
March 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM
what about people that haven't registered or homeless people or people that weren't seeking medical care. that just seems insane so they would let a babe just sit w/o a diaper or mom just bleed all over herself. they have to have those items. wow i know a lot of us in America talk about having free ins. like Canada but that sounds crazy.

I don't think its all of Canada, I'm sure other places are better with it lol but my hometown hospital. As soon as you start seeing a doctor they will tell you the hospital carries nothing so you have plenty of time to get ready. And once you get to the hospital they check to make sure you have that necessary stuff, I assume if you don't they ask you to send someone to Walmart next door? Not quite sure. I just know I've already had plenty of warnings so far lol funny how different things can be.

Praying4Pink
March 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
If you are planning on nursing then you should not use a pump until you need to and nursing is well established. Pumps do not have the same suck as nursing and some women don't get very much milk from them(also since the same hormones are not at work)which would give you a false since that you didn't have "enough" milk. The most important thing that will make nursing easier is getting the latch right (having babe open wide) and nursing often. anytime you here a sound from babe they are either wet or want some boobie:)

Actually they made me use my pump in the hospital to help bring my milk in. I didn't bring it the first time and had to send hubby back home for it. This time the hospital is 45 minutes away so I will be bringing in my pump. Yes it is true that it doesn't have the same suction as the infant but I got an amazing amount of milk from my pump. I guess it depends on the pump and the person :-) but again I want to stress the use of the pump was only to help bring the milk in not to substitute for anything. The baby got plenty of boob time.

Praying4Pink
March 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Here you could pretty much not even pack a bag if you wanted. I only bring personal stuff for me and a few things for the baby. The hospital we went to before didn't really even want you dressing the baby in their own clothes or using your own blankets so they didn't have to keep it separate from theirs. They have little white shirts for them to wear and blankets for you to use until you get ready to go home.

Here too! They supplied everything! But if you prefer to use your own pads, stuff for baby, etc... Then def pack it in your bag. I know some women are particular about the types of feminine products they use. We pay for that stuff here at our hospitals so I use it ALL, lol.

Praying4Pink
March 9th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Laptop, camera, old underwear, sweatpants, pump, ipod, baby clothes, insurance cards, toothbrush, hair brush, some make-up so I can feel prettier afterward, haha. That's about it....

I don't ever pack a bag really ahead of time...starting at 38 weeks I kind of set what I would need by the bag at night, make sure things are charged etc. So it's a grab and go or if I had an emergency someone would be able to come home and get it all for me and it's easy to find in one spot. I will throw the clothes in a bag and the pump but that's about it. You can't pack your toothbrush and such ahead of time!

Rosie last time I just used the travel size stuff. Don't know where you are but if that's an option go ahead and stock up on the small soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc...that way if there is an emergency then the toiletries will already be in the bag.

Mommyof3boys
March 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I usually buy the travel size stuff too that way I don't have to worry about not having it or taking stuff my family might need at home.

Praying I live in Indiana I imagine our hospital experiences are very similar.

Praying4Pink
March 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I usually buy the travel size stuff too that way I don't have to worry about not having it or taking stuff my family might need at home.

Praying I live in Indiana I imagine our hospital experiences are very similar.

Oh ok! Yes I guess we would have similar experiences living in the US. I can't say I thought of travel items last time but I will certainly be parking them this time.

Atsaukina1
March 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Actually they made me use my pump in the hospital to help bring my milk in. I didn't bring it the first time and had to send hubby back home for it. This time the hospital is 45 minutes away so I will be bringing in my pump. Yes it is true that it doesn't have the same suction as the infant but I got an amazing amount of milk from my pump. I guess it depends on the pump and the person :-) but again I want to stress the use of the pump was only to help bring the milk in not to substitute for anything. The baby got plenty of boob time.

why would you need to hurry and bring your milk in?? colustrum has everything they need for the first couple days of life before milk comes in. it is true that when you are super engorged that expressing(which you can easily do by hand)will make you feel better if your boobs are too engorged making it difficult to nurse but you don't have to pump to bring milk in it will come. if you are a pro nurser(she said she never nursed before) or you are going back to work soon and babe will be on bottles so you want to get them used to them then pumping would be beneficial. If you are a newbie though the best adn easiest and sure fire way to a good nursing relationship is nursing,nursing,nursing.

Atsaukina1
March 10th, 2013, 09:10 AM
mommyof3boys and other mommies:)
here is a great site for all things breastfeeding
http://kellymom.com/

Mommyof3boys
March 10th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks, I will check it out right now.

iluvmy4sons
March 11th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I will probably start packing around 28-30 weeks. I bring my own pajamas to change into after delivery, camera, laptop, camera, and boppy pillow. My hospital allows you to dress the baby so I will bring a couple of sleepers for her.

weeziewoozles
March 11th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Hey ladies. I packed things like maternity and breast pads, a few toiletries, change of clothes for me, cheap underwear, nightdress and dressing gown, a couple of vests and babygros, and loads of muslins ready in my bag. I also dumped a big cheap pillow and baby blanket onto the pile as I'd had a tip from a friend about the awful NHS pillows and scratchy blankets. I added some of my favourite snacks to my bag too as I have food intolerances and again NHS hospitals are renowned for dire food. I drink tonnes of water so I also packed a two-litre bottle of water as I didn't want to keep asking for water. Oh and we also had a pile of coins in the car for the hospital car park as you have to pay (loads!).

I planned on homebirth for both boys but thought I should have the stuff ready just in case. With DS1 there was some meconium at about 9cm so the midwives advised transferring into the hospital. So I was really glad I had my bag ready and I was pretty pleased with everything I had brought. Nothing didn't get used but I was missing one vital thing - shoes! I was in my birth pool at home so I had to get out to transfer, so I stuck my dressing gown on to warm me up and got onto the trolley thing to go on the ambulance. Hence I was not wearing shoes. DH grabbed my bag, pillow and phone/camera and we were off. He popped home later to deal with the pool and popped back with my chargers, book and more snacks (!) but neither of us ever thought about shoes! So the next morning when it was time to go home with DS1 I had no shoes! So funny!!! DH took off his socks and I wore them across the car park to the car! :)

fish2012
March 16th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Uk ladies who've had to stay in welcome your advice re what to bring o had three bags with ds1 virtually nothing. With ds2 which was fine I was in 3 hours

This time I think I'm gonna need to pack early n for a longer stay ;-)

Food is on my list lol!

Praying4Pink
March 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
why would you need to hurry and bring your milk in?? colustrum has everything they need for the first couple days of life before milk comes in. it is true that when you are super engorged that expressing(which you can easily do by hand)will make you feel better if your boobs are too engorged making it difficult to nurse but you don't have to pump to bring milk in it will come. if you are a pro nurser(she said she never nursed before) or you are going back to work soon and babe will be on bottles so you want to get them used to them then pumping would be beneficial. If you are a newbie though the best adn easiest and sure fire way to a good nursing relationship is nursing,nursing,nursing.

Not sure why they suggested it Atsaukina or rather highly recommended it. All I know is the nurse kept coming in asking if I felt tingling in my breast. I felt pretty pressured to perform. She kept saying pump, take a hot shower, nurse. I really didn't know much my first go round so I just did what she suggested. At one point my son was nursing every 30 minutes so we felt it best to give him a supplement. That coupled with the nurse saying I should be feeling tingling made me feel my son wasn't getting anything at all. I don't like that hospital and I will not be delivering there with this baby. It honestly wasn't about being engorged or anything the nurse kept trying to bring my milk in. I recently read that there can be a point where colostrum stops and no milk is there yet so I will be asking the professionals if that is true when I go for my breastfeeding class.

Rosie85
March 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I did bring the travel size stuff last time for toiletries, it's wonderful. I want pack things like my camera or laptop though, it will just be set by the bag every night.

Our hospital supplies a ton of stuff, that sucks some ladies get nothing but technically our insurance is paying for it so it's not free either way. We get sent home with diapers, wipes, aspirators, wash bin, lotions, formula if needed, pads, bed pads, ice packs, peri bottles etc.

Praying4Pink
March 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I did bring the travel size stuff last time for toiletries, it's wonderful. I want pack things like my camera or laptop though, it will just be set by the bag every night.

Our hospital supplies a ton of stuff, that sucks some ladies get nothing but technically our insurance is paying for it so it's not free either way. We get sent home with diapers, wipes, aspirators, wash bin, lotions, formula if needed, pads, bed pads, ice packs, peri bottles etc.

Yep us too Rosie. The first piece of advice I received with my first baby was to use/take what the hospital provides because we are going to pay for it in the end anyway. I agree...who wants to weigh down the hospital bag with electronics? Not I, BUT I will take my laptop and camera just not in the bag, lol.

cvd
March 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Eek I got 90% of stuff all in my bags today. All I need to pack is my clothes!

Praying4Pink
March 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Eek I got 90% of stuff all in my bags today. All I need to pack is my clothes!

cvd that is so exciting! I have to admit...I am getting super excited about all of the upcoming events. My hospital tour is Thursday evening and I am excited because I heard they let you labor in the tubs (not deliver though). Still a great natural option that I didn't have the first time. Then we are going to get new leather living room couches after the tour. Friday is my last day at work for a week and I will be at home nesting for the whole break, lol. Packing my hospital bag, getting the nursery ready, planning for the baby shower, etc...Oh and my childbirth classes are coming up next month also! Let's not forget my baby shower next month. Too excited!!!

jennaesue
March 19th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I agree, there is no reason to pump to bring your milk it. Colostrum is plenty enough for baby for the first few days. Your milk will come when it's ready.

One thing I did not pack the first time and wished I had was a hair dryer. I was freezing after I showered because my hair was all wet.

I probably won't pack my bag until the last minute - 38 or 39 weeks. I've never had a baby come before his due date. My hospital provides diapers, wipes, pads, even a binky if you want one. I just bring jammies for me, clothes for me to come home in and coming home clothes for baby, as well as toiletries and reading material.

Angelcrazylove
March 25th, 2013, 12:11 AM
I'm not exactly at the hospital bag packing stage yet but I am sure it will swing around in no time at all :S lol...one thing I have been advised is to bring several pairs of trackie pants as there is/may be a lot of bleeding afterwards.....other things off top of my head...camera, underwear, thongs, uggie boots, my baby bag (nappies, clothes, lotions etc) my toiletries, essential oil.... :)

fish2012
April 3rd, 2013, 02:09 PM
Please tell me your Aussie (on phone can't see siggies)

Childbirth and thongs two things that don't mix ;-)

Could be back to my home birth not sure how I feel now thou!

Mum23boys
April 4th, 2013, 08:24 AM
ha ha thongs ? maybe she means tongs ? or a thong is something else - OUCH !! HA HA

Fish whats changed your mind about the Homebirth ? if you can have one maybe atleast try - you can change your mind at any point and transfer in but if you go to hospital you cant transfer out and go home chick

pebmcpd7
April 4th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Mum23, have you found out if you are having boy or girl?

Mum23boys
April 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM
NO PEB WE KEPT IT A SURPRISE :-) We decided as we had surprises with all 3 boys we should do the same now and also because if it is a gir i think it will be ore special finding out on the day not in advance . Only just over 18 weeks until we find out :-) I was 99% sure it was a boy but i have mixed feelings now Im half way.

fish2012
April 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Hey mum23 well was v up for it then when it was twins it was out the window now part of me wants a c section at 36 wks lol!

I just feel really cautious and worried now having lost one ;-s hate felling this way it's rubbish ;-(. See the consultant on 15th so will see what he says.......

Mum23boys
April 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Oh hun im in exactly the same predicament as u know we lost a twin too - we however do not know which sex survived. If your on facebook there are some great homebirth groups you could join - they do meetings etc and you could meet up and chat to others in similar positions raise your concerns etc. eperienced midwives / doulas etc attend too so always a professional to chat to.

fish2012
April 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM
i have a consultant appt on monday at the moment i feel any planning is jinxing the baby that's left ;-( I'll be nearly 20 weeks then so will hopefully begin to feel happier about everything I want to see what the consultant says our baby was 15 weeks when he (i think) died so i don't know if it adds risk to the birth or not.......have they said anything about it to you?

aroundtheworld
April 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Because I'm having multiples, my midwife wants me to deliver the babies at her house, which is close to the hospital. So I will be packing a small bag and my birth supplies to take there. I guess I'll probably do that within the next month... although I don't expect to go into labor until close to my due date (mid-June).

Mum23boys
April 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
No hun I was only about 9 weeks though so they said tat the body would just "absorb" it naturally. At 15 weeks Im imagining it was more developed and that perhaps will still need to be delivered at birth - I have no idea I am afraid - i hope that thats not the case. Make sure you ASK all the questions you have going on in your head even if they seem silly. xxx