PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there with artistic boys?

BZ94
March 11th, 2013, 04:03 PM
So my SIL was over today with her 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son and was bragging about how at her DD's preschool conference she was told that DD is "advanced for her age" in artistic ability.

This really stung me, as I went to a top art school, have a bachelor of fine arts, worked as a graphic designer for 8 years (still freelance) before having kids, and always dreamed of having kids that followed in my footsteps, or at least enjoyed doing art projects with me. I guess I also pictured them as girls too, although I was naive enough to think that a boy would sit and color with me for hours (the way I did as a child). As it is, I ended up with two DS's who could care less about art. DS2's preschool teacher actually pointed out that he has absolutely no interest in art projects (he's only 2.5 years old, but still, the other kids apparently like them) and neither of them can sit still for more than two minutes when I get out the watercolors, markers, or play dough--they are throwing the dough and pretending the paintbrushes are ninja swords and I am left with all the clean up.

Now I'm pregnant with DS3 (last baby) and due in June and have pretty much given up on having a boy who likes to do art with me, which is why hearing about my friends taking their daughters to art classes at the art museum or my neice's "advanced artistic ability" really stings. I guess I should try to bond with my neice over her interest in art and maybe be the aunt who encourages/inspires her to pursue it (should she want to), but I can't help thinking "that should be MY child" (she's DH's brother's child, so she's not even blood related for me so I can't think it's hereditary at all).

Anyone have a little boy that will sit and draw/color/paint with them?

nuthinbutpink
March 11th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Of course one of your boys could be an artist! I can think of dozens of famous artists, most of whom are men!!

At 2.5, you certainly cannot tell what their interests will be when they mature. If so, picking their noses would be high on the list!

Encourage.

Provide access to it.

That's all we can do and they all go their own path.

I'm sure the preschool teacher has a keen eye but I wouldn't get too worked up over one lady's opinion. They always try to find something to compliment your child on!

bythestream
March 11th, 2013, 04:39 PM
In my family I have me, a sister and a brother. And my brother is the most artistic out of all of us. He takes after my mum who is also quite artistic. And im fairly sure he wasn't really interested until around 8.

You definitely have a chance of one of your boys being artistic.

b9mos
March 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I agree with Byth******.

Barbara

Mrs_P
March 11th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I have three boys and they are all different, different likes, different personalities, i have one who loves to dress up and now likes clothes and pretties shopping (as he calls it - the home stores) pretty much probably just cause he wants to be with me but he's so fussy over what he wears, i struggle to get my other out of pj's.

I do think with boys they tend to get better at sitting and doing as they get older - my 2.5 year old won't sit and do - he just gets bored but then my four year old sat and made a model of the solar system with me for school to impress his teacher - his idea. He's only just started doing creative things lately as is nearly 5 and even still it has to be on his terms.

Just cause boys can be late starters you could still have a little budding artist on your hands and if its something you love share it with them - you never know they may surprise you and if not don't let your inlaws rub things in your face - families are great at mine is better than yours and if its an area they see if hard for you they'll keep at it

harleyquinn
March 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I have 4 boys and my second son is incredibly artistic. I have him in after school art classes which my oldest son totally bombed out at after one session. ;)

Now, my youngest is 3. We PURPOSELY leave him out of our art projects because its practically impossible to make anything nice with Demolition Dave around. ;) But I frequently do art projects with the 3 older boys...and here is the key...you have to make things they are interested in. We recently did "treasure boxes" (went to hardware store for the wood boxes) and they painted and decorated those with all sorts of things and keep their treasures in there. Also bird houses and other creative things. If we are doing straight painting, I try to make a theme and they stick to it better than just free for all.

We gave up play doh LONG AGO. I have had ENOUGH. ;) ALthough the dentist kit one is really fun and I keep one can of playdoh for the dentist kit. LOL.

But yeah...2.5 or 3 is pretty much hopeless for meaningful art...it gets way better for the art stuff!!!

BZ94
March 11th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. My oldest is almost five and he also shows little interest and/or ability to sit still. But you're all right, I will keep exposing it to them and hopefully one of the three at least shares my enjoyment (not expecting greatness or anything, just something we can share together).

hotdogz&boyz
March 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Yep...my older boy is into both art and music. Which, sadly, neither DH or I am. He loves to dance, sing, do play-doh, draw, paint, etc. He is 3. He is also a "mellow" kid who sorta belies the stereotypes of a "boy." He is stubborn, but physically laid-back. I wish I were more artistic for him...since I am just not that creative and he would love having new and fun art things to do.

Some of his teachers have noticed...but I don't put a lot of stock into someone saying he (or your niece) is advanced at this age. It's all experimentation and exploration. Your niece could grow up to love cheerleading and want nothing to do with art. My brother HATED all crafts and art as a child (he used to get in trouble in preschool because he wouldn't ever color) and he loved to make scale maps and diagram drawings as a preteen/teenager. He now does custom car work, including paint and rebuilding the engines. An art of sorts :)

The Anchor
March 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM
My DS loves to do crafts...especially anything involving glitter glue ;). He's 2 1/2. At first I thought he was only participating because it was that or play by himself. But now he seems genuinely interested, even when DD isn't around. It took a while for him to come around though...our little "mayhem Harry" wasn't so much fun.

motherofboys
April 13th, 2013, 12:56 PM
For my DS2 colouring, painting, sticking and gluing, anything creative is one of the only 2 things that he will stay calm and will keep his attention. The other thing is cooking.
He wants to be a chef and his love of cooking and artistic side could very well come together if he does still want to be a chef when he is actually grown up.
His artistic side comes from his Dad though.

motherofboys
April 13th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I should say his 5 years old. My 3 year old isn't very interested and has been at preschool a year and brought home maybe 3 pictures. DS1 is 7 and he enjoys drawing and colouring but not for as long as DS2

Pangea
April 13th, 2013, 01:16 PM
My boys both love drawing, painting and colouring. DS1 refused to draw for years, I was worried because he was being assessed at the time for aspergers syndrome and I was trying to see if he had the motor skills to draw circles etc. He would start to draw, then get angry and rip up the paper.
Then one day around his fourth birthday he suddenly started drawing, and the pictures were really advanced. I couldn't believe it, you should see the stuff he draws, really complex maps and things. I think that was what was in his head the whole time but he refused to draw until his motor skills matched what he had in his head. He still gets very frustrated if he gets something wrong, he's a perfectionist so I don't always encourage him to draw because it can lead to meltdowns.

DS2 loves scribbling, mainly on the walls though! He tries to draw little people, it's so cute he draws a face with stick arms and legs sticking out of the head. DS1 never did that, he went straight to drawing complete people.

ocean
April 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I think it says something that when I read the title of this post, I thought the OP had mistakenly typed 'artistic' instead of 'autistic' -- only b/c I see zero association between artistic strength and gender. My 3 1/2 year old, according to his teachers, is at the top end of his class for creativity -- they'll send out a class picture of their sculptures or drawings and you can always tell which one is my kid's - it's the most dynamic, most radical, most interesting. He loves to draw - it calms him and he has clear pride in his drawings (and feels badly when 'they don't look good' in his opinion :( ). Now it's not all rainbows around here, he has other issues of course like most kids, but in my experience artistic interest and/or ability is COMPLETELY about the individual kid. My DH and I are as un-artistic as they come. We can roll playdough into balls, and we can draw stick figures, and that's about it.

Not only do you have as much chance as anyone for an artistic DS3, you have a fine chance with the other two in time -- so much changes for kids in a year or two.

Rainbow baby
April 20th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Ahh she is following in Aunty's footsteps <3 My little guys love doing arty things painting, playdoh baking and decorating cupcakes/cakes!! Half the time any art projects we do involve eating it after! There is absolute in my eyes any reason a little boy can't enjoy art and be good at it! Gez give my boys a glue stick, glitter, and sparkles some paint and I don't here from them until I have to clean up the mess!!!!

OneLastDream
April 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
All my 3 boys like art and crafts although ds2 will come home from school and draw or write every day. He draws really intricate pictures of buildings and castles which his teacher says he has never seen before at this age. He is 7. Both me and my husband are quite creative so it does happen - don't give up hope xx

Hobbermittens
April 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM
I don't have an artistic boy, but I do know a few. One boy I used to babysit (he's 9 now) is amazing! He draws incredibly realistic pictures, and has done so since age 3. I am artistic, and like you, always hoped one of my kids would follow in my footsteps. So when babysitting this kid, I used to really envy that he was artistic and my children weren't.

1+2+3boys
April 29th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I think it could be an age thing too as to my dismay my 3 year old son doesn't give a care at all for art and I have two more boys. Art is one of my favourite hobbies and main talent so of coarse I hope I can share it with one of my children one day. My partner had his two sons over to stay last week (8 and 10)
The 10 year old loves to draw and I ended up bonding with him talking about art when we all did drawing together. It was so nice to share with him and feel appreciated