PDA

View Full Version : What is your most useful baby item and what was a waste of time ?

Mum23boys
March 15th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Thought it would be fun to discuss what we used most or loved most from previous babies and what we found that we really wouldnt bother with again ......

For me: LOVED My swings - had a few different one but every one of my boys has loved their swings and was best way to settle them if they wouldnt settle any other way.
HATED: BUMBO seats - all my boys were too fat to fit in them. Also found a baby bath a waste of time as most of time bubs was in bath wit me or i used the sink so i didnt have to bend down :-)

mommymachine
March 15th, 2013, 12:51 PM
LOVED: receiving blankets, swing, moby wrap, sleepers with zippers, basinette (except DD refused to sleep anywhere except with me)

DID NOT LOVE: changing table (pointless) crib (never used), all wraps except moby, diaper gene, baby bathtubs

That's all I can think of:)

dloui128
March 15th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I love the bouncy chair, boppy pillow and swing

I did not like the wipes warmer(it ruined the dresser I had it on) diaper genie, and the bassinett that I have because it is too small so all of my kids couldn't fit into it for very long

Wanting-a-girl
March 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Wipe warmer! I only had one for ds3 and got it cause I remember the other two always cryi g as newbons cause of cold wipes and it was awesome! Would never be without a diaper warmer again for new babies

cvd
March 15th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Neat post!
LOVE: step 2 push car, ever since DS1 was about 9-10 months to today he loves his little car (just used it yesterday)and it is SO convenient when going to a mall or something, a lot easier then pulling my stroller out if storage isn't needed.
DO NOT LOVE: diaper genie, as many others say lol. snuggli carrier - talk about back pain and an unhappy uncomfy little baby.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: everyone hates the diaper genie I see, as do I. But, because we haven't seemed to find a better option (havent really looked) we still use it - what do you ladies use for diapers??? Having 2 in diapers makes me nervous lol I really want to replace my genie!

mommymachine
March 15th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I just have a garbage can right outside my door that had a lid that I take them too...

Mrs_P
March 15th, 2013, 03:42 PM
i loved my tiny love mobile that played mozart - was useless at bedtime but a great toy for a tiny baby they sat mesmerized for hours. I also loved my swing (well i say my swing, i never did the swinging, although i remember my elder one squeezing in it!) and this little giraffe wrist rattle thing from mothercare - i ended up with one for each baby and they loved them - their little hands could grab its neck right from a little age and they chewed them to death when teething. Breast pumps for me were another great invention.

Hated - bottle warmers - took ages to heat anything alot longer than a thing of hot water, bumbo seat (every single one fit in it fine but seemed to manage to launch themselves nose first into the carpet in a few seconds), baby walkers and the sit in version - again they were over the top of it seconds after being put in

Butterfly Spirit
March 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Wipe warmer! I only had one for ds3 and got it cause I remember the other two always cryi g as newbons cause of cold wipes and it was awesome! Would never be without a diaper warmer again for new babies

I think we will get one too! Our little one hates being changed with the cold wipes :(

Mum23boys
March 15th, 2013, 03:56 PM
What the hell is a wipe warmer we dont have that in the UK I dont think . Diaper genie - ???? Im assuming this is like our UK nappy bin that you put nappies in to dispose of and then empty it when it gets full

fish2012
March 16th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Have to add I loved bumbo, ds1 threw himself out but ds2 was too lazy too and really reduced high hair time - good result for me!

Loved slumber bear egg too for ds2

Wipe warmer as in warms wipes!!!????! Don't think we have those ;-)

Wanting-a-girl
March 16th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Yes it heats the wipes up... There is no way in hell I would ever be without one for a little baby

This is the one ive bought twice now... My first one broke it fell off the dresser :( Prince Lionheart Premium Wipes Warmer - Prince Lionheart - Babies"R"Us (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3674647)

Pearl327
March 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I loved the bouncer chair when DD was small and the mamas &papas baby snug ( similar to the bumbo but has a table so baby can't fall out) and the slumber bear. DD loved her fisher price rainforest playmat.
The least thing we used was the baby sling. As DD was a winter baby so kept her wrapped up in the pram when we went out

Atsaukina1
March 16th, 2013, 03:11 PM
must have cloth diapers and moby wrap

my4leafclover
March 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
loved the wire frame simple bouncer chair, wipe warmer, boppy and extra large rubber bibs.Swing with my first ds. The black, wt and red poster that comes with the sample of formula. We taped it up by the changing table and all 3 LOVED to stare at the patterns.oh and a remote control that attached to the mobile so we could turn it on and off from outside of their door.

didn't like diaper genie, carrier - boys were too big for me to hang them off of my narrow back comfortably.
For diapers we used grocery store bags, tied them off and right out the kitchen door into the garbage can.

jennaesue
March 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Love: Fisher Price Rocker - it can be used for babies up to preschoolers, swaddlers, receiving blankets, Fisher Price mirror with lights & sounds for the car (ds2 hated being in the car in the dark and this really helped with that!), Soothies pacifiers.

I'm with you ladies concerning the Diaper Genie. I just throw wet diapers in the inside trash, and dirty ones go in a plastic bag and then into a little garbage can outside the back door. And really, breastfed newborn's diapers don't smell bad, so I just put those in the regular trash half the time.

We never had a wipes warmer, and I never saw a need for one.

my4leafclover
March 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
jennasue- YES, we had the fisher price rocker!! It has a foam bar that went across with these 3 little bumblebee big eyed guys hanging from it. My guys would coo at those "guys". I completely forgot about that one!

jennaesue
March 19th, 2013, 09:20 AM
jennasue- YES, we had the fisher price rocker!! It has a foam bar that went across with these 3 little bumblebee big eyed guys hanging from it. My guys would coo at those "guys". I completely forgot about that one!

Ours has farm animals, but yes, I think that's the same one. My only worry about it is that my ds3 still likes to sit in it when he's reading or watching tv, so I'm afraid he'll object to the baby using it!

Bigwish
March 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM
LOVED: my boobs LOL
WASTE OF TIME: trying to forse him to drink out of a bottle (And the dozens of different types i've tried) LOL again

WantingPink
March 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Yes it heats the wipes up... There is no way in hell I would ever be without one for a little baby

This is the one ive bought twice now... My first one broke it fell off the dresser :( Prince Lionheart Premium Wipes Warmer - Prince Lionheart - Babies"R"Us (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3674647)

I have to agree that the wipes warmer is awesome!! My DH wanted it for DS1 and so we got one... I thought it was a joke... until you have a newborn baby that doesn't cry when you change it's diaper. For me this was important for the middle of the night when you want them to go back to sleep. Durning the day if you want them to wake up or stay awake then use the cold wipes.

mrsflowers33
March 20th, 2013, 01:44 PM
The list of needed baby items has grown smaller with each baby I have, lol. At this point I couldn't live without cloth diapers or a great baby carrier like my Ergo, those are the first to go back on the list. In the early days having a swing for naps was nice. But because we breast feed and co sleep a lot of baby gear just isn't needed.

Wanting-a-girl
March 20th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Yes the wipe warmer I also thought it was a joke so never had it for my first two... It's one of those things that you really don't know how much you will love it till u use it lol

Angelcrazylove
March 25th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I am so glad i found this thread! Yay! I'm in the process of planning to acquire what I need in my transition to motherhood and will find this thread so helpful.

For me, at the moment, I would find the most useful being one of them fab glider chairs! I sat in one today in a baby shop for the first time and it was fabuliciously awesome!! sooo comfy! I have been advised one of these sorts of chairs are a godsend considering the amount of time spent nursing/rocking baby!

Hmm waste of time? I'm yet to discover but I guess toys would be a waste of time to me, in the early days anyway :)

Mum23boys
March 28th, 2013, 01:57 PM
bump

Cinss
March 29th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Love - nursing pillow (jj cole)

Leave - nappy bin

ELP
March 29th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Waste of time-changing mat! It had to be a man that invented that and earned alot of money, my laps much more convenient I can take it anywhere!

Love? Disposable nappies? A bit of cotton wool and a rolled up nappy in my pocket and I'm set to go!

sugarplum
March 29th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Love the Baby Bjorn bouncer - they were in it from birth right up to 9 months and beyond every single day. And its so sturdy & very safe.

I'll be dusting it off for the third one due in June, too. Still good as new!

Never used the baby monitor - but we live in a small house!