PDA

View Full Version : Sandy - Male or Female in your opinion ?

Mum23boys
March 28th, 2013, 09:46 AM
My husbands mum was called Sandra but she was always known as Sandy.

I like the name Sandy better than Sandra for a small child but am torn to whether Id be more likely to ue it for a boy or girl. It sounds more Masculine to me more boy like but obviously we relate it to a girl too being his mums name.

What do you guys think ?

atomic sagebrush
March 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Sandy for a man. You hardly ever hear it any more but it used to be an acceptible nickname for Alexander. We've talked about it a few times with various boys but since our last name is a "thing" it sounded kinda weird. Like "Sandy Burger" haha.

in the US, Sandy for a girl is a little bit dated. There are a lot of 50-60 year old women named Sandy. But I don't know if that's true in the UK or not??

Mum23boys
March 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks Atomic well yes it was his mums name and she was oin her 50's but we never hear the name used anymore really in the UK

jennaesue
March 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Most of the Sandys I know are women, but my sister did date a male Sandy in college. I'm not sure what his full name was.

nuthinbutpink
March 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
It sounds like a woman and I'm sure most people reading the name would assume Sandy is a girl.

Like Sandy from Grease.

Sanford is a boys name and if he had sandy colored hair, Sandy would make sense. Also Alexander(that is a US spelling).

Mrs_P
March 28th, 2013, 12:00 PM
my first thoughts were grease to and a female name

but i do like sandy as being short for alexander - would give a little man choices rather than just being a sandy - but then you may well have a little girl cooking this time round (even if you would rather presume its a boy)!!!

strawberrymom
March 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I have only known female Sandys- never heard of it for a male.

Bigwish
March 28th, 2013, 03:41 PM
EVERY Dutch person would think girl when hearing this name. Mainly due to the movie, but also because names like Cindy and Daisy are in the same category of names here IYKWIM

Hobbermittens
March 28th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I have only ever known one man named Sandy, and his was short for Sanford. Otherwise I know a few ladies in their 50's named that, and I would assume it is short for Sandra.

*ruby*
March 28th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I really like it for a boy but not so much as a girls name, a bit too much of an older ladies name for me.