PDA

View Full Version : pH just before AF..

TTC5
April 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Finally got a digital and hopefully did it correctly and my pH today read 7.09.. I am due for AF any day now is this a good pH or should it have been more alkaline?

begonia
April 19th, 2011, 11:29 PM
TTC5 that is a great pH; most of us girl mommas struggle to get in the 6's! Any idea what yours was pre-diet/supps?

That said I have no clue if there is any effect based on the impending arrival of AF... wait, are you testing CM or urine?

TTC5
April 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hi B, I tested CM!

I only managed to get a reading once with pH strips and I was very acidic like a 4, 5 at the most but since have not been able to get a reading until going digital!

I am yet to start bs drink and baths too so that should raise it more hey?

begonia
April 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Yes baths and drinks should definitely raise it more! I'd be thrilled with a 7 CM pH though, way to go!!!

Flava
April 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
omg that is great! You are lucky!:agree:

My Fabulous Children
April 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM
What a GREAT pH. I have digital pH tester and I never use it. That's may be a dumb question but how do you ladies test your pH with digital? I find it hard :oops::thumbsdown:

Flava
April 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hey I got a digital too and here is how I use it:prof: lol
If you have lot's of CM just put some at you fingertip and push it under the meter ( I have this red Hanna) the CM just have to touch this little reader at the end of the meter. If I only have a little CM I use something like toothpick or Q-tip .Put CM on it and hold it to the ph meter to read it.
Just try it and you figure it out it's not hard to do.

TTC5
April 20th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Oh really is it good? I'm so glad to hear =D
I just smear my finger tip over the glass bulb sensor part of my tester =)

Flava
April 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Just want to add even my urine ph sucks !!:mad: that's how great are thing here:hair:

TTC5
April 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
What things are you trying Flava?

Flava
April 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Right now Im just on diet and drinks.Not ACV and BS and so , just juice, v8, lemon water, green tea.
But back when I was ttc blue and got DD4 I was drinking all that too and nothing really helped my ph up.
So I would like to see changes in the ph just to know this diet and all helps me .:sad:
When I read that it works for others I think there is something wrong with me? Or I can't have changes and can't get a boy ? really I just want some kind of proof I guess that this whole thing works for me ...It's easy to say don't worry about it and so , but I already swayed real good once and I have 4 girls! Im scared... that I can't have a boy.

TTC5
April 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
I understand that fear, I really do! Do you have a digital tester? What about trying wheat grass tablets too?

Flava
April 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I read here that wheat grass taste so bad .So you can take it in tablets? This is for the ph ? Where can I get it?
Oh I have a digital just got it like a week ago.

My Fabulous Children
April 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hey I got a digital too and here is how I use it:prof: lol
If you have lot's of CM just put some at you fingertip and push it under the meter ( I have this red Hanna) the CM just have to touch this little reader at the end of the meter. If I only have a little CM I use something like toothpick or Q-tip .Put CM on it and hold it to the ph meter to read it.
Just try it and you figure it out it's not hard to do.

That's sound easy, I will try, but I am just so confused about all these numbers when I trun it on ..also do you have to use the buffer solutions every week? and do you have to calibrate it every week too? Sorry to sound dumb, but I found it hard and too much to do :hair: That's why I use the pH strips easier, but I know that the digital more accurate than pH strips.

My Fabulous Children
April 23rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I read here that wheat grass taste so bad .So you can take it in tablets? This is for the ph ? Where can I get it?

Wheat grass – Raises pH, improves egg quality, loaded with nutrients. I think I am going to add to my supplements :think:

Vitamin shoppe sales wheat grass in tablets. I just checked online.

begonia
April 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
I bought the wheatgrass tablets, too! You have to take TEN for one dose, LOL, but they are easy to get down. The powder isn't bad when mixed into a smoothie but I just have an easier time taking pills.

Flava I hear ya on the pH not budging. Mine is still VERY acidic most months. I got it to a 6 one month and that is the highest ever for me, most months I am 4.5 or 5 on the pH strips with my CM :-( I know for sure, without a doubt, that I have dramatically changed my diet from when I got pg with my girls, but I don't see any change in the CM pH and like you, that does give me some concerns. I just keep trying to remember how many people got boys in spite of low pH. But still, I'd rather see mine get up to even just what Atomic says is "normal" around O, like a 6.5 or 7!

I was just thinking today about getting a digital but I too feel like they are so complicated!

TTC5
April 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM

Yep you sure can get it in tablet! It is loaded with nutrients and is very alkaline!! I got mine from a health food shop (I am in Australia, though).

TTC5
April 23rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
I bought the wheatgrass tablets, too! You have to take TEN for one dose, LOL, but they are easy to get down. The powder isn't bad when mixed into a smoothie but I just have an easier time taking pills.

Flava I hear ya on the pH not budging. Mine is still VERY acidic most months. I got it to a 6 one month and that is the highest ever for me, most months I am 4.5 or 5 on the pH strips with my CM :-( I know for sure, without a doubt, that I have dramatically changed my diet from when I got pg with my girls, but I don't see any change in the CM pH and like you, that does give me some concerns. I just keep trying to remember how many people got boys in spite of low pH. But still, I'd rather see mine get up to even just what Atomic says is "normal" around O, like a 6.5 or 7!

I was just thinking today about getting a digital but I too feel like they are so complicated!

They are SO easy! I only got mine last week and only wish I got one sooner! xx

Flava
April 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
fab I don't think you have to calibrate it every week .I guess it depends how often you use it? Maybe some one can help with this Q?
Don't worry about the number when you turn it on just after the test.
I can't use the ph strips because it wont change color for me.:mad:

Flava
April 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Tnx about the wheat grass tablet! We have to take 10??? So how many dose /day? It's there any other vitamin in it or just wheat grass?

begonia Im sorry about the ph! It's making me crazy ! Like why mine is not changing??? And sure so many woman's with low ph got boys , but then lots of them only got boys. Just like here most boy moms complaining about high ph and they also only got boys.I don't know...:think:
Im thinking maybe ph alone don't matter but with everything else together high ph works better to get pregnant with a boy?I don't know:hair:

TTC5
April 23rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Flava, i am not sure how many we should take but my tabs are 500mg each??? I have been taking two a day but the bottle says you can take up to 6 a day?

Flava
April 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
now Im thinking...there is so much other "stuff" in the wheatgrass tablets maybe I don't like all that for ttc blue..what do you guys think?:think:

TTC5
April 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM
My tablets only contain wheat grass =)

My Fabulous Children
April 25th, 2011, 02:21 AM
My tablets only contain wheat grass =)

Good to hear that, I might take it next cycle if I don't get pregnant this cycle.

My Fabulous Children
April 25th, 2011, 02:23 AM
fab I don't think you have to calibrate it every week .I guess it depends how often you use it? Maybe some one can help with this Q?
Don't worry about the number when you turn it on just after the test.
I can't use the ph strips because it wont change color for me.:mad:

Thanks Flava, I'll try your way. The pH strip won't change colors for me either because I know my pH is very low.

TTC5
April 25th, 2011, 07:10 AM
This is my stuff =)

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/health_products/General_Wellbeing/Organic_Wheatgrass.aspx

ELP
April 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think you've always got to remember that even pink swayers with super low ph's had boy opposites aswell so the PH isn't the end of the world:) Mine always sits at around 5 but goes up to automatically to 7 at ov time anyway without any messing. I'm just making sure that I'm having lots of protein and improving my body condition, I'm sure these things count more for blue than ph levels:)

Flava
April 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
This is my stuff =)

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/health_products/General_Wellbeing/Organic_Wheatgrass.aspx

Tnx a lot ! Im in Fl so would be nice to find something around here so I don't have to order it from so far away!

Flava
April 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think you've always got to remember that even pink swayers with super low ph's had boy opposites aswell so the PH isn't the end of the world:) Mine always sits at around 5 but goes up to automatically to 7 at ov time anyway without any messing. I'm just making sure that I'm having lots of protein and improving my body condition, I'm sure these things count more for blue than ph levels:)

I know ph is not teh end of the world but mine is always low and I only have girls and no mine is not going up at any time at all so yes I want mine ph high. And I also do the other things not just focus on ph.I want everything good including ph. I already did a very good sway once and still got a girl so I think it's understandable that Im scared here...I may not ttc at all so well see....

begonia
April 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM
TTC5 thanks for the tips on the pH tester! Maybe I'll go ahead and order one too. Did you get the Hanna? There is a great thread on here re: using it, I can't remember where though ...

Flava if you're in FL you should be able to get wheatgrass tablets at any nutrition focused store, like a GNC or even Whole Foods. Mine are also 100% wheatgrass, nothing else in them.

And I would be scared too if I'd swayed like crazy before and still got a girl, FWIW. I don't blame you one bit for trying to get that pH up if it is the one thing you feel like will make a difference!

Flava
April 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
begonia tnx! Im going tomorrow to look around for tablets.

I do not think ph is the only thing! I also want to do the diet and drinks really good and hope I see some changes.And I do exercise to build muscle . ( umm what is FWIW? I can't find that page where all this are...):bigsmile:

begonia
April 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Flava FWIW = For what it's worth :-) FX wheatgrass does the trick for your pH!

My Fabulous Children
April 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I forget to ask what pH tester you guys have? Good question begonia!!! I have the white one (Hanna). I remember I saw a thread on here about the digital pH tester. I will look for it.

TTC5, The wheatgrass tables you have looks really good.

I want to buy one, but do you ladies think is it too late to take it now? My attempt will be in 2 weeks? (Hopefully).

TTC5
April 26th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I have one from Dick Smith =)

begonia
April 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
MFC I don't think it is too late if you're super curious about it... after all, you are only supposed to test right around O anyway, so you've got 2 weeks to get it ordered and delivered. I just use the pHion strips but am thinking about getting a digital one ... I just can't decide if I care enough! I know it will bum me out if my pH isn't changing and then I will lose hope and fall off the diet train and go back to eating cupcakes all day ;-) So I'm kinda thinking I'll just go with the ignorance is bliss theory, because I don't want to get discouraged.

Flava
April 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Ehh can't go to look for wheatgrass today...maybe tomorrow. Fab I have this red Hanna tester , it's small and easy to use.

TTC5
April 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
hope you find the wheatgrass Flava =)

AFM: CD 7

PH of CM 6.2.. feeling a little bummed as I feel it should be much better than this? I guess it is "ok" as I am not ovulating yet.. see what it does daily from now to O!

I tested my urine just for the sake of it and that was 7.18 so that is a great change. I started off very acidic at like a 5!!!! I know urine does not count but it does shows my body is getting less acidic, I figure?

My CM is creamy to wet, which is a great change as usually this cd I would be dry! Going to up my fish oil too.

(I copied this from my online diary save me typing it all again)

iluvmyman
April 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I tried the wheat grass and jamba juice and to my great surprise, :suprise:it tasted like liquified grass and was totally gross. Go Figure! :p I think there is a thread from Atomic about recipies. DH said that they looked confused in Jamba Juice when he ordered it for me, so I assume they normally mix it. I thought macha shots (which are drinkable) were wheat grass, but they are not.

I've been using a digital PH tester and it's been great but you need to order 2 types of buffering solution PH7 & PH4 to calibrate it, which is recommended weekly in the manual. You also should use and buy the cleaning solution and storage solution. Sounds like a lot but it's not hard at all. I've read and have used a Q-Tip if you don't have a ton of CM. Just put some on the top of a Q-Tip and place it to the bulb. Cleaning is pretty easy and I looked at youtube to get tips on cleaning - which weren't mentioned in the manual.

I could give more info on how to clean if anyone cares to know. Sorry if someone else has already addressed this.

TTC5
April 27th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I tried the wheat grass and jamba juice and to my great surprise, :suprise:it tasted like liquified grass and was totally gross. Go Figure! :p I think there is a thread from Atomic about recipies. DH said that they looked confused in Jamba Juice when he ordered it for me, so I assume they normally mix it. I thought macha shots (which are drinkable) were wheat grass, but they are not.

I've been using a digital PH tester and it's been great but you need to order 2 types of buffering solution PH7 & PH4 to calibrate it, which is recommended weekly in the manual. You also should use and buy the cleaning solution and storage solution. Sounds like a lot but it's not hard at all. I've read and have used a Q-Tip if you don't have a ton of CM. Just put some on the top of a Q-Tip and place it to the bulb. Cleaning is pretty easy and I looked at youtube to get tips on cleaning - which weren't mentioned in the manual.

I could give more info on how to clean if anyone cares to know. Sorry if someone else has already addressed this.

My tester came with a storage solution and one buffer solution? I did not mention anything about needing another one, should I be getting another???!!

iluvmyman
April 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
That's sound easy, I will try, but I am just so confused about all these numbers when I trun it on ..also do you have to use the buffer solutions every week? and do you have to calibrate it every week too? Sorry to sound dumb, but I found it hard and too much to do :hair: That's why I use the pH strips easier, but I know that the digital more accurate than pH strips.
They are instant which is a plus.

It is recommended that you calibrate weekly, and I did, if I used it that week or if had been a while since I used it. I did notice every time I re-calibrated it that I'd have to adjust it, so it might be a good idea. What digital monitor do you own? I have the HI 99104.

iluvmyman
April 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM
My tester came with a storage solution and one buffer solution? I did not mention anything about needing another one, should I be getting another???!!

I'm not familiar with the brand you have. I have the HI 99104. I thought it was supposed to come w/ at least the cleaning solution but it didn't and I had to re-order and pay pretty big shipping to get it.

There is a manual for the HI 99104 online and it comes with the monitor but I learned about using water in between buffer solutions when calibrating from youtube.

Sorry, I only know about the hannah but let me look real quick about yours. Do you have a Model number? If you still have the instructions, check your manual and see what it says. I would go with the manufacture's recommendation. I thought it was a little confusing at first but eventually figured it out.

TTC5
April 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I will add a link later today am not home atm but i got mine from
Dicksmith.com.au

iluvmyman
April 28th, 2011, 12:36 AM
On the website that website there are only 2 PH meters so I'm assuming you got the M/N PH501 Pocket Digital PH meter. The instructions are on this link which s/b the manufacturers.

http://www.professionalequipment.com/images/pdf/W4100_manual.pdf

I'm getting conflicting info on this. The manufacturer just recommends the one calibration solution that it comes with, which is the PH7 (this is a neutral PH). As far as I've read, and 1 of the websites I looked at re: your monitor, says you should use two.

I use as PH7 (Neutral PH) then a PH4. But you can use a PH4 or PH10 solution depending if you are trying to get readings closer to a 4 PH or 10 PH from what I can understand.

My Hanna HI 99104 has two places to adjust the PH7 reading and then PH 4 or PH 10 reading. Yours has a screw I believe and a screw driver that came with it and you adjust the trimmer on the right side of the meter.

The manufacture recommends to calibrate every 2 weeks or 10 uses but I've read that you should calibrate as much as you want it accurate. The reviews on your PH meter say that have to adjust it a lot so I'd do it the every week and before any really important readings like near O.

They just want you to rinse off the electrode after each use w/ water and then put it in the cap with the storage solution when you've complete your use. I clean mine by swishing it around in a bottle cap of the cleaning solution then store in the storage solution in the cap.

This is a great website with info on hannah PH meters and easy to read and I can't imagine Ph meters are all that different:
http://www.hannacan.com/conseils_pH_en.htm

Man oh man, this would be so much easier over the phone. :) I calibrate mine by putting the tip of the meter in like a bottle cap of the PH7 (enough to cover the electrode) swish it around and adjust the PH7 part on my meter till it says 7.01. Then rinse in water and put into a different bottle cap with the PH4 solution, swish around and adjust my PH 4/10 area till it reads 4.01 or 10.01. I always swish in each solution, again after I've calibrated to that PH, and before I move to the next after it's calibrated, to ensure it still reads the same. I generally rinse again then store in the storage solution. It's important to keep the electrode wet when not being used in the storage solution.

I would suggest buying another solution or PH4 or PH10 as well if you have the time. I can't look at your meter so I can't be sure of anything. I believe there are other people on this forum w/ your meter that could have more info. The manufacture has such little info.

This is sooo long and no one probably cares but I got carried away and ultimately couldn't help much. So sorry!

My Fabulous Children
April 28th, 2011, 01:24 AM
MFC I don't think it is too late if you're super curious about it... after all, you are only supposed to test right around O anyway, so you've got 2 weeks to get it ordered and delivered. I just use the pHion strips but am thinking about getting a digital one ... I just can't decide if I care enough! I know it will bum me out if my pH isn't changing and then I will lose hope and fall off the diet train and go back to eating cupcakes all day ;-) So I'm kinda thinking I'll just go with the ignorance is bliss theory, because I don't want to get discouraged.

Thanks begonia, I will look around for the wheatgrass If I didn't find it I will order it online Tomorrow I'm really interested in taking that stuff.

TTC5
April 28th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I got the deluxe, not the pocket:
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/Q1416/deluxe-digital-ph-meter-amp-case

My Fabulous Children
April 28th, 2011, 02:08 AM
iluvmyman, Thank you for your help concerning the pH tester. I also have the HI 99104, but I need to order the cleaning solution.

My Fabulous Children
April 28th, 2011, 02:11 AM

Wow this one is expensive. Never seen this one before. I've only known about the white & red one.

TTC5
April 28th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Oh really, damn I was thinking it was cheaper lol oops! Don't tell my DH lol

My Fabulous Children
April 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM

:rofl:

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 02:10 AM
How many days prior to ovulating do you start getting ewcm?

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Ok ladies, so tested today and in 24 hrs my pH has risen by.2 and is now 6.4.

I am CD 8 today (I have ovulated between CD 13/13 - 18/19 in the past).

Does pH rise daily or is this just me being fanatic and obsessive lol I just want to see it go up and I feel so insecure that sitting around a 6 this CD is not high enough =(

Flava
April 29th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Does pH rise daily or is this just me being fanatic and obsessive lol I just want to see it go up and I feel so insecure that sitting around a 6 this CD is not high enough =(

I don't know sorry! But i also test almost every day AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! And I was never over 6 yet so you are more lucky.Really how long we have to be on the diet to see some change?? Do the diet and juices only change pH really?? Because so far is not working for me...:mad:

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM
No idea Flava, oh how I wish I knew! I am only having lemon water and green tea - no juices.

iluvmyman
April 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM

I 2nd My Fabulous Children's :rofl:

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I spose I could have gone with the pocket for half the price but wasn't sure if it would work ok? LOL!!

iluvmyman
April 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM

The instructions seem to be exactly the same as the one I linked to above. I feel like I need a PHD trying to understand all of this. I found this quote "To properly calibrate you must use 2 buffers at least. The most recommended procedure is to adjust the CAL screw or knob using pH = 7 buffer. This is the so called iso-potential point. Soak thoroughly w/DI water and then immerse electrode in the second buffer, say, pH=4 for acidic solutions, when reading stabilizes, adjust the SLOPE screw or knob to pH=4 and the meter will be ready for use(If measuring alkaline solutions use pH=10 buffer instead of pH=4.). You can check immersing electrode in the pH=7 buffer again and see if the reading is correct. Otherwise meter/electrode are in bad condition or wrongly selected. Sometimes dirty/dry electrodes can be restored using the HCl solution overnight, but I wouldn't recommend this as a normal practice.
I don't know how can you calibrate using only one buffer. I am not going to get into theory of it, but measuring pH is done by correlating pH to a EMF developed in the sensor, so you must have at least two points to make this correlation. If your meter has only one point cal (no slope adjustment) then you probably should seek a better pH meter." http://www.finishing.com/370/42.shtml

I think you should probably get 2 buffer solutions instead of 1.

There are videos on youtube like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HYTDsFmLGE for those of us who are visual learners. I'm imagine all PH meters are essentially the same

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Bugger, so does this mean that the readings I have done so far are not correct =(

AGH why did not not tell me this to begin with?!!

iluvmyman
April 29th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I'm no expert but I'm sure it's fine since just a buffer of 7 was recommended. I wouldn't stress but if you have time get the 2nd buffer solution, then I would get it. If you want to know for sure please contact the manufacturer. They don't make the information easy to find and I'm just searching the internet. Some even recommend 3 buffer solutions so I would contact the manufacturer for more info. I've been using 2 buffer solutions of PH4 and PH7 and this was recommended by my manufacturer.

Since I don't have your meter, I can't even tell how to to calibrate yours w/ the 2 solutions.

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks, I will try sending them an email.

TTC5
April 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Ok today it has crept up only a notch since yesterday so now 6.5... so that is .3 in 3 days?

My Fabulous Children
April 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM

I don't check my pH a lot, but I've noticed that it does change daily especially If I don't eat or drink. Its crazy I have to eat all the time. BTW- 6 is great pH.

TTC5
April 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Is it really ok? I feel as though it isn't considering I only have 5 weeks to go and have been here since Jan =(

atomic sagebrush
May 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM
My natural pH after 4 boys was only a 6 so I would not worry about 6.5, I'm sure you will do fine!

My Fabulous Children
May 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
I agree! You will do fine. Mine is also around 6!

TTC5
May 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
That is comforting to know you were a 6 Atomic! x

iluvmyman
May 3rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
I thought it sounded right to look more towards your PH around Ovulation as it goes up?

TTC5
May 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Well I am very close to O now and my pH today was 6.7!

atomic sagebrush
May 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I thought it sounded right to look more towards your PH around Ovulation as it goes up?

yes, this is true, it's the pH of the EWCM that counts!!