PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dealing with SPD ?

Mum23boys
March 31st, 2013, 02:37 PM
I have had severe SPD for the last 2 weeks and ive been in tears the last 24 hours as its just ruining our easter break as I can barely move. everything I do movement wise is excruciating pain getting dressed makes me cry, walking, moving in bed... literally everything. Ive not been able to contact my midwife with it being a 4 day bank holiday weekend but I have left a message for her and have been reading up on all the things i can do try and help me cope with it - i had it from 30 weeks last time but not this severe so am really worried how i will cope the rest of the pregnancy as we are only 21 weeks and i work daily with 9-10 kids that involves a lot of physical activity on my part as well as lifting young children and pushing a double buggy.
Just wondered if anyone else is having to deal with this nasty side effect ?

Mrs_P
March 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM
yeah me although its still coming and going in varying degrees at the moment but my body refuses to move when its really bad (as opposed to just it being really painful) i got about of bed to go to the toilet last night and i couldn't move, took me ages to go to the bathroom. I'm really struggling at night apart from that pain if i can get comfy its on my side and then i'm waking with really bad pressure pains in my hips from the weight and can't move to ease it.

I'm getting a bit worried about work as well as i have to go out of the office at least once a week (although i only work 3 days) for on-site work and i can barely walk at times

Mrs_P
March 31st, 2013, 04:56 PM
if you midwife comes up with anything useful please do share though - the best mine had last pregnancy was pretty much just get on with it (although it wasn't this bad until the very end)

Thorz300
March 31st, 2013, 05:17 PM
I have something very similar but mine is because I was born with mild hip dysplasia but they thought it was SPD for a while. With my last baby my doc put me on bed rest because I couldn't walk and because my hips would give out on me and I kept falling. For the safety of the baby and myself, I was on bed rest for 4 months......ugh sorry there isn't much that can be done about it!

Rosie85
March 31st, 2013, 06:48 PM
My friends was very severe. She was on a lot of drugs and I know they told her to try the pool. She said she did a hand stand in the pool and felt loads better. How she did so whilst pregnant I have no clue! Really hope you can find a way to deal with the pain :-(

Mum23boys
April 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Well midwife today suggested co codamol and refered me to physio and to get measured for crutches. Just need to see how I get on with that :-(

atomic sagebrush
April 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM
I had this a couple different times and with DS 3 was so bad I could barely walk. I went to the chiropractor, when I got out of my truck at the office I could barely get out and my son had to help me into the office. They cracked my back and I was literally FINE seconds afterwards. I know it sounds unbelievable but it really really helped.

Navywife620
April 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
I had this really bad with DS2, I couldn't lift up my legs to put my jeans on, when I would roll over in bed at night it would pop. Luckily it was towards the end of my pregnancy so I didn't have to deal with it too long. My doctor told me there isn't much I could do about it. Have you thought of a maternity support band?

Justjessica
April 1st, 2013, 03:37 PM
I've had this every pregnancy so far but mine is weird. With DS 2 I could hardly walk, with ds3 it wasn't as bad as first 2 times. My gp was really helpful. I got referred to physio straight away. I had to do a class in a group which was a bit annoying as a lot of the mums were first timers and they were basically telling you how important it is to do pelvic floor exercises, how to do them and stomach exercises. I have got leaflets on this stuff coming out of my ears now. If i cant do a pelvic floor ex properly by now someone needs to shoot me!Then all the usual tips on what to try and avoid etc but like you said mum you can't avoid stuff like lifting kids out of cots and the buggy. We got given a support band and offered classes for strengthening the pelvis such as ball and Pilates. But the main reason I went is cos once you've done the first instruction class if you tell them you still have pain they refer you for individual physio and offer all kinds of stuff to help with pain relief like acupuncture etc.

Mum23boys
April 2nd, 2013, 04:03 AM
Im really worried about my work and how Im going to keep going until my Maternity leave in July - I ant afford to go sooner as being self employed im already having to save nearly 4 thousand pound to be off for the 9 weeks I want to take matwernity leave and the weeks holiday I have booked off in June. Im not anywhere near having saved this amount yet so any other leave let alone htis one is a no no. I must look into incapacity benefit etc but when i can earn £400 a week working and have £1250 a month of bills to pay a benefit of £40-50 a week isnt going to be a great help. Seems like a no win situation and I just know Im going to end up in a complete mess :-( Sorry to moan ladies i am just in constant pain and crying and the worry isnt helping. I dont want to tell them how bad it is at the hospital either inase they take me in at 37 weeks and induce me ( as was suggested) as im desperate for another home birth naturally after an allergic reaction to the induction stuff last time

Dreamofpink
April 2nd, 2013, 04:13 AM
I'm so so sorry to hear that you're suffering. SPD is nasty and I had it with both ds1 & ds2. I was referred to an NHS physio around 16 weeks with ds1 and given exercises to do and a maternity belt, which I just could not do without. I only got to 30 weeks with ds1 as I had severe pre-term pre-eclampsia but I was sore enough. I went full-term with ds2 and was in so much pain. I remember struggling to get up and down any stairs and had to teach ds1 who was only around 18 months then to bump down the stairs with me! I went back to the physio then and had a maternity belt the whole time. Thankfully we moved back to England from Scotland when I was 30 weeks and stayed with my parents until ds2 was born. They had no stairs so that saved me from needing a wheelchair. I did have crutches, but had we not sold up to move for dh's job I would've needed a wheelchair - or at least that's what they were talking about. Urgh.

I really feel for you. It sounds like you're in a catch-22 situation, especially as I remember the physio trying to stop me from carrying ds1 around so much. I even had to devise a step for him to get into his cot!

You're in my thoughts, I've just found out that I'm pg and will be asking for my referral to the physio asap! I just hope it's as easy to get an appt as it was in Scotland. Perhaps you could lay it all out on the line for your midwife? I understand how you feel about being induced and maybe you could stress that point to her?

Mum23boys
April 2nd, 2013, 04:38 AM
Thanks ladies I have spoken to my midwife this morning who is refeing me for urgent physio she has suggested seeing my GP fo some pain relief as im allergic to paracetamol and has given me yet more tips on ways to help out in the day lkike a carrier bag on my chairs etc so can swing easily off with legs together instead of twisting etc. She also said once im down the morning stay down - easier said than done when i have a baby of 11 moths that still needs carying up for her naps twice a day plus a spare room full of kittens that need checking on throughout the day.

Dana-Alicia
April 2nd, 2013, 06:54 AM
Ugh SPD is a nightmare! So sorry you're suffering from this :bighug: I had a severe case of SPD combined with other illnesses and I was in a wheelchair from week 20 of pregnancy till about 6 months AFTER I had the baby. We got NO help from the government whatsoever. My husband and family had to do everything for me and the kids. It was awfull. I've tried everything, from physio to chiropractors, acupuncture etc. but no relief. I'm dreading another pregnancy because of this. I don't know how I'll cope. I wish I didn't have such a strong desire for a daughter, so I wouldn't have to put myself and my family through this agony again :tissue: I'm sorry, not really cheering you up here I'm afraid. But I must say, once it was all over, I really hardly ever look back. I try to forget. And once I held my babies in my arms, I was just over the moon. It was worth it. Tho it would have been nice if I could have been pregnant like everyone else who seems to enjoy their regnancies... But keep your eyes on the prize: babies from difficult pregnancies tend to be extra extra gorgeous, trust me, I'd know :hug2:

lollylegs
April 2nd, 2013, 07:04 AM
I've not experienced it personally but will share my friend's journey. First pregnancy started early 2nd trimester, spent last few months in wheelchair (hear me out...) second pregnancy started early, like 6-8 weeks in.
She went to osteopath who had special interest / skills in pregnancy - fixed (though had one or two recurrences that again were fixed in single encounter).
Now bear in mind I am a physio, and saw a physio when I had awful back and pelvic pain in my second pregnancy. It was a bit better, but really the message was to put up with it, would be better after birth. I too went to see this little magical osteo and again, cured. Some of the treatments made sense, as did the exercises, but some of the oh-so-gentle manual therapy felt like fairy dust or something. It wasn't a cheap undertaking (like $120, then $80), but worth it IMO
Anyway, I hope you find some comfort soon xx

Dana-Alicia
April 2nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
Oh and I've been induced with DS1 and it was a horrible experience. it was extra sore on my pelvic area because the contractions were so intense. But with DS2 I had a beautiful natural birth. I kept my foot down, no more inductions for me. Unless of course the baby or I were in emediate danger. But SPD is luckily not deadly, although some days I really thought the pain was going to kill me ugh lol. So hang in there, it can still be beautiful, without any medical interventions.

Pearl327
April 2nd, 2013, 07:29 AM
I had it in the last few weeks of pregnancy with DD this time around I started feeling the pinching sensation in my pelvis at around 20 weeks. I booked into see a pregnancy osteopath and I have been seeing him every 3 weeks since and I have had zero pain since starting the osteopath and doing the exercises he recommended in the evenings as part of my yoga routine. Mine is caused by a pelvic imbalance due to a curve on my spine and a tumour on my spinal cord.

Atsaukina1
April 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
are you ladies wearing the belt? went to chiro and was telling her how I had it last prego(not this time hopefully) and she suggested wearign the belt if it ever happens again since babe is pushing on something hitting a nerve trying to relieve the pressure off of it. might help a little alogn with seeing the ostepath,ect.

Mum23boys
April 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM
i have the support belt and it does ZILCH. A friend came over today and reccomend her osteopath too she said its expensive at £45 a visit but well worth it so might have to save some pennies and go down that route :-(

Mrs_P
April 2nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Im really worried about my work and how Im going to keep going until my Maternity leave in July - I ant afford to go sooner as being self employed im already having to save nearly 4 thousand pound to be off for the 9 weeks I want to take matwernity leave and the weeks holiday I have booked off in June. Im not anywhere near having saved this amount yet so any other leave let alone htis one is a no no. I must look into incapacity benefit etc but when i can earn £400 a week working and have £1250 a month of bills to pay a benefit of £40-50 a week isnt going to be a great help. Seems like a no win situation and I just know Im going to end up in a complete mess :-( Sorry to moan ladies i am just in constant pain and crying and the worry isnt helping. I dont want to tell them how bad it is at the hospital either inase they take me in at 37 weeks and induce me ( as was suggested) as im desperate for another home birth naturally after an allergic reaction to the induction stuff last time

Oh hunny i'm so sorry your struggling. My midwife was useless she has referred me to the pelvic group again that i did with the boys which pretty much just tells you common sense stuff, after that if you still have problems they refer you to the physio but it adds to the wait so its looking like a few weeks before i get any sensible help.

Midwife saw how much i was struggling (i couldn't even get on the bed thing as the pain was really bad) and still didn't seem to care just pretty much told me to get on with it or start my maternity leave early (which its too early, i'd get no time with baby afterwards if i used 3 months of it now!)

Not sure it helps anymore but i think sick pay is £70 per week but you could also get more tax credits or other benefits if you can't work depending on your hubby's income, not going to make up your income but if worse does come to worst make sure you get all the help you are entitled to.

Justjessica
April 2nd, 2013, 04:51 PM

Aww that's really awful when the pain gets that bad especially when it starts earlier and you feel like you have ages to go. I was lucky that I could give up work early when mine was so bad i couldn't walk hardly. So it must be really stressful for you trying to keep going. They gave me a massive list of tips last week like wearing silk pjs in bed to help you slide out of bed without causing as much pain and other random stuff I could post for you if it would be any use. But I know from my own experience it's the basic stuff like walking and picking kids out of cots etc that you can't do a lot to help with. I hope they manage to find something that works for you. Big hugs.

Justjessica
April 2nd, 2013, 05:02 PM
Oh hunny i'm so sorry your struggling. My midwife was useless she has referred me to the pelvic group again that i did with the boys which pretty much just tells you common sense stuff, after that if you still have problems they refer you to the physio but it adds to the wait so its looking like a few weeks before i get any sensible help.

Midwife saw how much i was struggling (i couldn't even get on the bed thing as the pain was really bad) and still didn't seem to care just pretty much told me to get on with it or start my maternity leave early (which its too early, i'd get no time with baby afterwards if i used 3 months of it now!)

Not sure it helps anymore but i think sick pay is £70 per week but you could also get more tax credits or other benefits if you can't work depending on your hubby's income, not going to make up your income but if worse does come to worst make sure you get all the help you are entitled to.

That's such a shame as mine is really nice and fusses over trying to help me on the bed, getting steps and stuff and holding my legs together to help swing me on when mine is bad. It's weird how it can vary so much from midwife to midwife. I'd be pretty peed off if I had yours!